Random Thoughts....

The "No 56k" tags on certain threads reminds me, is anyone here on 56k anymore?

My parents internet. My dad hates it too but for him the call to AT&T is too much and he won’t do it. So suffering is better? Must be the Midwest culture. 😆

Better than not having internet, right?

How do people on 56k manage these days? Last time I used a 512k or 1Mbps connection or whatever it was, it took several minutes from unfolding my laptop to my e-mail client and cloud storage and stuff being done doing their things so there was any bandwidth left over to actually do anything.

How do people on 56k manage these days? Last time I used a 512k or 1Mbps connection or whatever it was, it took several minutes from unfolding my laptop to my e-mail client and cloud storage and stuff being done doing their things so there was any bandwidth left over to actually do anything.
I don't think they do, are there any real 56k ISPs any more? For RDP and VPN connections at work we basically say anything less than 10Mpbs isn't going to work.

So.....anyone else ever think they were born outta time? Like, for real?

I'm a huge hulking brute, it's really all I'm good for, now imagine me in the middle ages in a suit of armor brandishing a greatsword( I actually own a greatsword made to my measure using ' old' parameters, it's 180cm's long and ways 19 kg's) I would be fucking unstoppable, a real life berserker.......a walking tank.

Afterwards I would just relax with women, mead and meat.....

Wich would suit my current lifestyle to a T : brute violence combined with pure hedonism.

No place for me here.

That's a first for me: directly in front of my balcony it's raining cats and dogs, but in the distance the sun is shining from a clear blue sky so the solar panel on my balcony still produces the same amount as if there was no rain at all...

I didn't quite realize how much I missed curling up with the Puffalumps when I house-sat last week. I love them so much. So soft. So cuddly.

I am discovering the joys of Markdown.

That is all.

I went to the post box send a snail mail letter (cancelling our interwebs) today, but forgot to write* the stamp on it. I could've bought the stamp right then and there through the app, which I actually did, but I didn't have a pen with me to write the bloody code on the letter. So I had to walk all the way back home** and back to the post box again.

* you can buy a stamp in the app and just write a code on the envelope instead of a paper stamp.
** all of 1 km return trip!!1111

I went to the post box send a snail mail letter (cancelling our interwebs) today, but forgot to write* the stamp on it. I could've bought the stamp right then and there through the app, which I actually did, but I didn't have a pen with me to write the bloody code on the letter. So I had to walk all the way back home** and back to the post box again.

* you can buy a stamp in the app and just write a code on the envelope instead of a paper stamp.
** all of 1 km return trip!!1111
Cancelling internet by post letter?

Cancelling internet by post letter?
welcome to germany. this is the easiest way, since they have to accept the cancellation that way and i can directly tell them not to bother me about it ever again. they'd much rather i cancel by phone, but the place we're currently getting our internet from (vodafone) is notorious for lying to people on the phone and bugging you with offers and shit later*.

* which a) i don't want and b) they can stick up their butt no matter how cheap/good their offer, because they're incapable of supplying our future home with anything more than a 16mbit/s connection, which is garbage.

also i've already ordered proper gbit-fiber :D

welcome to germany. this is the easiest way, since they have to accept the cancellation that way and i can directly tell them not to bother me about it ever again. they'd much rather i cancel by phone, but the place we're currently getting our internet from (vodafone) is notorious for lying to people on the phone and bugging you with offers and shit later*.

* which a) i don't want and b) they can stick up their butt no matter how cheap/good their offer, because they're incapable of supplying our future home with anything more than a 16mbit/s connection, which is garbage.

also i've already ordered proper gbit-fiber :D
Weird, I too have Vodafone now and it’s gbit. I started it by going online and ordering a box.

Weird, I too have Vodafone now and it’s gbit. I started it by going online and ordering a box.
starting is the easy part, yeah :D
at our current flat, we could also get gbit (cable). new place? no cable (just telekom "klingeldraht"), no dice! i don't like vodafone though (can you tell?), so i'm actually quite happy to have the excuse to switch :p

Ever have one of those mornings where you just don't know where to start? That's me. I'm still a little achey from yesterday's 'rona booster—lady got it way on up the arm and I feel it in my bones a little more this round—but that's mostly chilled out by now. Now I'm left with the thing from last night that I still need to do, plus an assignment from this morning, and I'm here posting from the toilet thinking, "I guess I should ask my editor which to tackle first."

Last edited:
Ah. Got some clarity on what to do first and apparently a bunch of us all scheduled Shot Number Quattro at the same time, so we're all commiserating about our old man problems in Slack this morning. Haha. I feel less broken now? "It's not just me!" is a big 'un. I had miserable health problems in college, so I'm always hyper-paranoid of "am I taking off too much time? are people going to mistake this as laziness? think I'm off so much I'm faking it? am I too fragile to do this job? am I putting my job/role here/whatever at risk?" which is terrible, but some of the nonsense I had to put up with.

Either way, I used last night to take the head off the Porschelump, so I at least got something done (before going home and curling up in the 'lumps).

(It's gotten better as I move around the house this morning, but I might work curled up in the 'lumps...or maybe I should try to walk/bike to work at the coffee shop to loosen up the achey joints.)

"am I taking off too much time? are people going to mistake this as laziness? think I'm off so much I'm faking it? am I too fragile to do this job? am I putting my job/role here/whatever at risk?" which is terrible, but some of the nonsense I had to put up with.
yeah that's a shitty situation to have your head in. i get that myself from time to time. but at least you seem very much aware of it and actively working (thinking?) against it in a way, it's not easy, i know - so good on your people on slack for being supportive, in a way, even if they don't necessarily know they are :p

The generic version of my new prescription has a retail price of just north of $1,400. If I were to buy it through Mark Cuban's "costplusdrugs", it would be $63. Thankfully, it's 100% covered by my insurance from the state/county.

Have you ever tidied up your home just to find things you didn't know you own?
1664107734908.png
I just found a cycling computer (Sigma BC 23.16 STS) in it's original box with all the accessories (speed and cadence sensor, heart rate monitor and mounting material) - when did I buy that and apparently never used it? :hmm:Well, off to ebay classifieds, those cost upwards of 75 Euros new...

We have a yearly "winter run" held by a local athletics club, usually in the first week of december. This year will be the 59th edition, and for the last few years I've always tried taking part (sometimes sick, cancelled cause of rona, postponed right into my holidays). so this morning, I thought to myself "wait, when's that run taking place this year? isn't it time I sign up" - usually, the 2500 places are sold out rather quickly. so I go in the website to find: "registration will open in 20 minutes" :ROFLMAO: I was just about to go get coffee and then sign up... only to remember: wait, last year's edition got postponed into my holiday so I asked them to move my registration over to this year. check the list: yup. already on there. nearly forgot about that.

anyway: now to use the next two months to boost speed :hammer: for that 16 km run (usually 18, but a bridge got destroyed in last years floods). usually the weather is really crap as well, so I might have to overthink my shoe selection (I run vibram five fingers, they're utterly useless in mud, snow, etc.)... I do have a pair of "trail" shoes that come with some sort of profile, but the new v2 for some reason fuck up my feet rather badly. ugh. anyway, target time: under 80 minutes.

Last edited:
Have a photo of the Black Forest.

4AECE682-CA3E-41C8-AF7E-DAD0213BF8E3.jpeg