Random Thoughts....

Yeah I imagine there is a big difference between being on vacation and around people you don't know and pretty much hearing people you do know insult you in your face because they think you don't understand what they are saying. It's like hearing colleagues gossip about you because they didn't know you are in the same room but even worse because 1. they know you are there and 2. they underestimate how well you speak there language. Part of me would be angry and hurt but the introvert and overthinking part of me would prevent me from confronting them.

The most I said „the foreigner is doing what? Sometimes I can understand things.“ I got a nervous smile and a pink face.

Heh, I worked with a guy whose last name was Auslander. Good dude. These conversations would be extra awkward in his case.

On a somewhat related note: it's been almost three years (geez, time flies) and people in stores still talk to us in English, even if we greet them in Portuguese.
I know Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese are quite different, but come on :rolleyes:

On a somewhat related note: it's been almost three years (geez, time flies) and people in stores still talk to us in English, even if we greet them in Portuguese.
I know Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese are quite different, but come on :rolleyes:

Know any Chinese? Or shift to Spanish, French, or any other language that wasn't being used!

Oh, the looks I got from waiters in the Azores when I tried my Portuguese on them… 😂

I have yet to go there, but I heard the stories

Know any Chinese? Or shift to Spanish, French, or any other language that wasn't being used!
I used to know Mandarin, but it's been decades...I am supposedly proficient in Spanish.
Somewhat related: we always play "language bingo" when we go downtown.
English, Italian, German and Spanish are always heard, and then we have the generic "this sounds slavic" or "that must be something from the Indo-Aryan branch..."

I would start being a dick about it, switching language or as they spoke English, reply in Portuguese. Fuck ‚em. I do that at work and in restaurants.

Yeah, just be rude to people. That'll teach them trying to be nice to accommodate a foreigner.

no idea whether this fits here or not, but people, help me out here...
a few years back, i had a pair of camel active desert boots (link to the actual model). thin suede with a thin rubber sole. super simple and very light shoe, but it fit me like a glove. and since then, I haven't been able to find anything to replace them... I'm not even sure whether "desert boot" is the right moniker, because anything else I've been able to find under that term has been way more "solid" than those that I had. Any ideas to help me along? Be it brands to look at, other search terms to employ, anything? :dunno: thank youuu

Yeah, just be rude to people. That'll teach them trying to be nice to accommodate a foreigner.

Well, in my opinion, not even trying to continue the conversation in the local language because I spoke the local language with an accent is patronizing. "oh , how sweet, he's speaking a new language, honey get over here with the camera!" I am only attempting to learn the local language because 1. it's the country's main language 2. I'm not in the UK, Canada, Australia, or the USA, and 3. the government requires a certificate that I can speak it proficiently. I find it rude that there's not even an attempt. Since it seems the local people don't want to speak their language, should I just become another immigrant who doesn't speak the local language? That's how frustrated I am with that.

In Redliner's situation, I can see it being similar but it could also have some racial intentions in there too.

Point is, we're not in a country where English is the official language and therefore, I will try my hardest to learn it and speak it. It makes no sense in my opinion to default to English.

Well, in my opinion, not even trying to continue the conversation in the local language because I spoke the local language with an accent is patronizing.
Have you ever considered that people are not out to get you, but are trying to be polite and helpful? Instead of being a dick about it (your words) why not try something like "Ich versuche Deutsch zu lernen, lassen Sie uns Deutsch sprechen."

I just don't get where the assumption of bad intentions comes from...

Have you ever considered that people are not out to get you, but are trying to be polite and helpful? Instead of being a dick about it (your words) why not try something like "Ich versuche Deutsch zu lernen, lassen Sie uns Deutsch sprechen."

I just don't get where the assumption of bad intentions comes from...

I know that nobody is out to get me, but when there’s not even an attempt, that’s what gets me. You’re missing the point. It would be different if I was told that they couldn’t understand me, ok, then we can try another language.

no idea whether this fits here or not, but people, help me out here...
a few years back, i had a pair of camel active desert boots (link to the actual model). thin suede with a thin rubber sole. super simple and very light shoe, but it fit me like a glove. and since then, I haven't been able to find anything to replace them... I'm not even sure whether "desert boot" is the right moniker, because anything else I've been able to find under that term has been way more "solid" than those that I had. Any ideas to help me along? Be it brands to look at, other search terms to employ, anything? :dunno: thank youuu
Those remind me of Ariat low boots a bit, not really sure it's as thin as you would want though. Sole might be a bit thicker though(I've definitely seen suede ones that look very much like ones you've linked, but it's been a while).
1680617802998.png

Positive note, some guy in a Citroen Picasso asked me where the closest DIY store was and I was able to direct him there in German.

ight, top gear lore question that imma just dump here cus IDK where else to put it.
Season 7, episode 1. Does anyone know what was on this peice of paper than hammond and may found hilarious?
1680826382713.png

I don't suppose we'll ever really know but there are a couple of frames where you can get an idea.

Looks like the first word is Honda
1680829725992.png

Blurred but an idea of the layout
1680829755630.png

With Clarkson it's probably a sex comment, whether it's in favour of or against Honda drivers is anyone's guess.

Richard Porter probably knows/knew.

As I sit here, on this sunny, Easter afternoon, in a pub, surrounded by people of all walks off life, I can honestly say: I can't wait for the fucking apocalyps to end it all, cause these retards and idiots all deserve it.

Have some dick milk!

20D1F317-19D6-4F6D-89B7-B8520F63F8C2.jpeg