Rant: FLAC sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main reason why stuff is available in FLAC is so that people can then choose in what way they want to store the music. IF you download stuff in mp3 format, yet you like a lower bitrate, or vbr stuff, it can be done but it is not advisable since you're going from one lossy format to another. Same goes for mp3 to ogg recodes. When you download in FLAC, you get your music in a lossless format, and can choose your own lossy or lossless format in which you like to store your music.

This. End thread.

Sounds like someone needs a new portable music player.

// owns a cowon s9

I'd say he just needs a better audio system that brings out the differences, and better ears to hear them.

I hate MP3s. The highs are much cleaner on a Flac @ 44100hz/16 bit (1411kbps) than even a 320bit mp3. Those of you hating on FLAC need better speakers. If you really want crazy quality, I can send you some of my vinyl rips I've made at 96khz/24bit (4608kbps) :lol:

Have you ever heard the pure rips from a modern digital recording? Ridiculous.

In any event, I've only seen VBR's that switch between 128 and 160...are there different levels?

FLAC supports audio sample rates up to 96 kHz, which, according to audiophiles, is only half of what's needed to fully explore the potential of human hearing. MP3 only goes up to 48 kHz, which is a bit of an overhead over a CD's 44.1 kHz. To fully exploit the potentials of FLAC, it has to be recorded off a SACD or straight from the source (vinyl, propriatery digital recording with even more sample rate...), encoding to FLAC from a CD is pointless.

Of course 48 kHz is enough for any mere mortal, the fidelity only comes through on ?ber expensive sound equipment.

And how does the sound come on a vinyl? For me as djing electronic music, the music comes from a synthesizer. Does that even supply the full potential of FLAC? Or is 320kbit mp3 maybe good enough for the samples used in these tracks...

There are so many people that are just obsessed with high bitrates but they don't look what the source is o_O Q-Dance (a VERY big party host in Holland) transmit life from their events in 96kbit mp3... quality really sucks. But somehow there are always some idiots that "recode" it to 192kbit and say now the quality is better...

Of course thats extreme, but i'm not sure if you really get the best possible sound quality when u even buy a original cd.

Well... look at the picture quality of original DVD's. Quality is worse then when i recode a the original full hd-bluray into the dvd format...
So somehow they do a bad encoding job..

And how does the sound come on a vinyl?

There is a machine in the studio, which plays the master recording to a vinyl cutting machine. Vinyl is as close as most consumers will get to studio quality.

There is a machine in the studio, which plays the master recording to a vinyl cutting machine. Vinyl is as close as most consumers will get to studio quality.

[youtube]iByt8IinjC0[/youtube]

I have a big bag full of vinyl. I just can't hear any difference when i'm mixing my vinyls with audio cds or mp3s...

Oh well yah... i hear that it is from vinyl. But the reason is not that the sound is better... the vinyls are old, and there are the cracking noises. But thats the only thing were i can hold it apart from each other.

But well.. i prefer vinyl... just makes more fun with the turntables. But playing mp3s from a usb stick is even more fun when u have to carry everything around for kilometers...

Last edited:
:cool: +rep good sir.

Edit: Damn, that's super high quality. I assume you got a super duper sound card to enjoy all your vinyl rips? I really need to invest in one of those.

Actually, my vinyl rips have showed me the limits of my onboard sound. A new sound card will probably be ordered next week. I'm getting a HT Omega Striker.

I rip all my CDs to FLAC so that I can have a bit-perfect copy of them on my computer for archiving purposes, and it's only a couple clicks to convert them to Ogg Vorbis for my phone (which can play back FLAC just fine, btw, it's just that the 8 GB card I have in it isn't big enough).

Why would anyone use FLAC? What's wrong with separate MP3s? I just spent more than an hour manually separating the tracks back to individual MP3s. (btw, is there any program that can automatically detect the end of a song and separate it for you automatically?) .

Usually, when you download a single large audio file like this, it would be accompanied by a Cue Sheet (.CUE) file. This file should contain all the track information you need to split it. There is more info on this in the link I just gave.

Try mp3split to cut up the file into smaller bits.

Last edited:
This. End thread.

I've down converted from 320kb/s MP3 to 128kb/s MP3 many times (for my phone and before that my portable MP3 player), not really any different than a direct CD rip to 128kb/s.

Usually, when you download a single large audio file like this, it would be accompanied by a Cue Sheet (.CUE) file. This file should contain all the track information you need to split it. There is more info on this in the link I just gave.

Try mp3split to cut up the file into smaller bits.

Every time I tried to mount the .que file with Alcohol 120% it fails, not just this release, it's like this on every release.

I'll try mp3split, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for a format that would have the ability to separate instument tracks where you could turn down guitar track for example or have karaoke. I know it exists, from Japan I believe and they said the bitrate isnt even as high as expected.

My personal opinion about mp3split: it's ugly and hell and has crashed on me a couple of times (all due to trying to play the thing back, but then again, I don't have gstreamer install in windows).

There are supposed to be other programs abound the 'net that'll do the same thing, though I haven't been looking too hard, yet.

I wanted to convert it to a 320kbit mp3 to compare it. But somehow i can't... skips writing just an 1kb large mp3 file...

Status
Not open for further replies.