Rant: FLAC sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I record the my records in Sony Soundforge as a 24bit/96khz .wav file. From there, you can compress it to whatever lossless or lossy format you want. I use dbpoweramp for conversion.

Except that the limitations of MP3 or WMA Standard will downgrade it to 16-bit, 48 Khz, 2 channel stereo automatically no matter how good your source is.

If you want to go with a lossy codec and have a source that won't operate within those confines, you have to use Ogg Vorbis, WMA Professional, or MPEG-4 AAC.

I do notice a difference between FLAC and MP3 (Even CBR 320Kbps MP3s) with the Apple iPhone Headphones (3GS, if you must know) connected into my laptops' (IBM/Lenovo Z61m) headphone jack.

Except that the limitations of MP3 or WMA Standard will downgrade it to 16-bit, 48 Khz, 2 channel stereo automatically no matter how good your source is.

If you want to go with a lossy codec and have a source that won't operate within those confines, you have to use Ogg Vorbis, WMA Professional, or MPEG-4 AAC.

Which is why I use .flac. :)

IMO FLAC is a waste of time for the majority of people out there

unless you have some sweet audiotechnica cans (or beyers or grado's or whatever) and a top notch USB powered headphone amp (or any other good headphone amp) you're never going to benefit from having FLAC files

IMO FLAC is a waste of time for the majority of people out there

unless you have some sweet audiotechnica cans (or beyers or grado's or whatever) and a top notch USB powered headphone amp (or any other good headphone amp) you're never going to benefit from having FLAC files

I think of it the other way: if you've got enough music that the extra size of FLAC is a problem, you're probably a big enough audiophile that you'd want it anyway.

i tested Flac vs 320mp3 even on my creative aurvana and i can`t hear difference(maybe in some songs flac was minimal better)..

but mp3s 128kbps are terrible.. how somebody can listen that:blink:

So if i had one album in FLAC and other in MP3, would i hear a big difference?
Depends. Depends on music, listening equipment, MP3 datarate and so on. There are certain types of sounds that exploit the losses of MP3 coding. Whether that makes a difference for you in the real world is up to you. Yet, if you're interested in the best possible sound quality, FLAC is the better way.

Last edited:
So if i had one album in FLAC and other in MP3, would i hear a big difference?

Like Interceptor said, it depends. But in my experience, no.

I like versatility. For me, it's MP3 or walk.

No quality complaints with my 320kbps VBR MP3s. MP4's limited playback with a lot of utilties is annoying as hell.

Like Interceptor said, it depends. But in my experience, no.

I can slightly tell on my speakers X-540, and can tell on my Senn HD650s, yet my HDs aren't amplified yet, so there is a difference but not as big as there will be once I get more cash.

Leave FLAC alone! It's the only way I can listen to my 24-bit vinyl rips!

I :heart: Flac.

Shame there aren't many high capacity players out there that support it :(

8 month thread bump was not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.