Rant: Stop trying to "F1" MotoGP.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Yes, I just verbed "F1". I don't know if "Verb" can be made into a verb, but I just did that too.

<rant>
Auto journalists,

I get that you love F1, but when asked to cover MotoGP, please stop trying to make it into F1. It's not F1, and we don't want it to be F1. Half the time I read an article about MotoGP it's about two lines of thin content and the rest of the time is the writer trying to make sense of the race series by comparing to something they understand. Automotive news blogs have been guilty of this for everything from tire technology to team tactics.

For the love of all things petrol, stop saying that MotoGP needs to be more like F1! F1 is boring, it's a goddamned parade with almost no passing; teams might as well set the starting order by who spent the most money and positions only change when the pit crews fuck up (yeah, I'm looking at you, Mercedes). We will see more passing in a single lap of MotoGP than an entire F1 race, especially if you take out pit stops.

In the last MotoGP race at Aragon there was a bit of drama from the two factory Ducati riders in Q1. Doviziozo was ahead in the championship points was set to advance to Q2, but was unknowingly towing his teammate, Petrucci around the track. This allowed Petrucci to put down a faster lap time and he knocked Doviziozo out of contention for Q2. This was criticized by a writer, who said that Ducati should have ordered Petrucci to slow down so Dovi could advance to Q2 - because that's what they would have done in F1. This entire season has been some of the best racing I've ever seen in GP, and it's because MotoGP isn't F1. No riders are being told to let another rider pass because the team wants a particular rider to win; every rider is out there going as hard as they can. Collaboration happens off the track in development, but when the bikes grid up, every rider is hungry for that podium and they are not about to back off just so someone else can have an easier win.

Why would we have this:

When we can have this, two KTMs and a Ducati on the last corner of the last lap:

Or this teammate battle: (teammate battles are not unusual in MotoGP, they happen in every race)
Start at 0:45

Watch F1 and MotoGP side by side, see which one has more passes, more wheel-to-wheel or bar-to-bar jostling right to the corner, how many times there's a pass at the start of the corner, only for the other driver/rider to get their place back before the corner is even ended. Hell, one rider went from 10th to 5th from the green flag to the end of the first corner at Aragon! Look at how many times a race was decided not just on the last lap, but in the last 3 corners. And look at the 2020 championship and how many individual winners there have been this season. 2020 has been the best year for MotoGP in a generation, and I'm tired of hearing from journalists who have never ridden a bike and don't follow the sport advocating to dumbing it down just so they can better understand it.
</rant>

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more.

Also, stop calling it "The Formula 1 of motorcycles". It's just bad and wrong. It's badong.

F1 is the MotoGP of pit stops.

if dovi was just that bit faster, they both would've advanced!
the only one in the wrong was dovi, for being that slow

and i guess you should just read better sites :p
general automotive sites suck balls

i follow motomatters.com for my motoGP updates
(only complaint i have about them...45€ for a subscription??? go fuck yourselves..racefans.net only asks 12, which i pay happily!

I just watch the races myself, Kiki and I purchase the season pass. I still see MotoGP content on automotive blogs that I visit for car news, and Kiki's Google Algorithm has her figured out and sends a lot of stuff her way related to MotoGP from popular sites (not necessarily good ones - looking at you, Jalopnik).

The point is that if you don't know a damn thing about a race series, STFU about it until you learn - and absolutely don't advocate changes that you don't understand.

Last edited:
I mean, it feels like there's a bunch of new viewership. Just go to r/motogp, and it's awesome that there are a lot of new people following the series. It's just depressing when half the article (usually about this one topic/incident in MotoGP) is a comparison to F1 and then, they advocate for the same rules in MotoGP. ?