Reapeating laugh track is getting annoying

there really isnt anyway round it especially when gags/sections have to be reshot because some one mucked up.

its the same with any joke or gag, once you heard it/seen it once it just isnt funny the next time around. tg would look even sillier if they made a joke and there was a few quiet chuckles wouldnt it.

canned proper laughter replayed > forced laughter at the same joke you just saw 10 times in a row.

as well as the impact of a repeated joke from the last poster, the laugh track is also there for simple technical reasons..

To mike up the audience with atmosphere mics to get their reactions while still allowing the audience speakers to operate would be a tech nightmare. The quality of the sound from the atmosphere mics would be unusable because of the pickup of the presenters feed off the speakers....

now, if they gave each audience member an IEM (in-ear monitor) set, it would remove all need for audience speakers and thus some micing of the room would work.... but to cover the whole area while trying to exclude reverb from the roof is another story all together!

I don't think the OP is worried about the fact that TG uses a laugh track, but merely that they seem to use just one track with that female laugh.

I remember Jeremy writing that he sometimes wonders at the time why nobody laughed, and how big the laughter will be when they dub it in afterwards.

I think half the problem is that some people in the audience wont get the jokes (they can be quite obscure on TG).

Laugh tracks will go away when social proof stops being evident.

as well as the impact of a repeated joke from the last poster, the laugh track is also there for simple technical reasons..

To mike up the audience with atmosphere mics to get their reactions while still allowing the audience speakers to operate would be a tech nightmare. The quality of the sound from the atmosphere mics would be unusable because of the pickup of the presenters feed off the speakers....

now, if they gave each audience member an IEM (in-ear monitor) set, it would remove all need for audience speakers and thus some micing of the room would work.... but to cover the whole area while trying to exclude reverb from the roof is another story all together!

when you put it that way it all makes sense now. at least it won't bug me come the next episode of top gear

I am usually laughting myself at funny stuff that i dont even listen to laughter track :D