Rear engined, RWD Alfa coupe planned

Strelok16

Car(s)
'69 Mustang project, '92 Buick Retiree-gal
Autoweek said:
Alfa Romeo plans to build a rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive coupe that would become the brand's halo car.

Fiat's struggling sporty brand aims to complete a concept car for the innovative lightweight coupe for a planned Geneva auto show debut next month.

The concept is set to be built as the 4C GTA and go on sale for about $55,000 (40,000 euros).

Alfa is set to begin production of the 4C GTA by the end of 2012 in one of Fiat's factories in Italy. The automaker plans to build 20,000 to 25,000 units of the coupe over the following five years, two people familiar to the matter told Automotive News Europe.

The Fiat sources said that the 4C GTA could be sold in the United States but no decision has been made yet.

A Fiat spokesman confirmed that Alfa is working on a concept car but said its unveiling at the Geneva show is still uncertain because of ?delays in the concept model construction.?

The 4C GTA was designed by Alfa's styling center in Turin and is said to be a rakish, compact and extremely low two-seat coupe. Reports on Alfa's enthusiast blogs wrongly say the model was designed by Pininfarina S.p.A.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110202/CARNEWS/110209977

So far, I see nothing not to like!

Well, assuming could be sold in the US Turns into Will be sold in the US, that is.

Struggling? Don't think so...the Giullietta is going like hot cakes, there are oodles of 147s, 159s, even quite a few Breras...They are doing just fine AFAIK.

But this news...YES, YES, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES!!!!1111one

A rear wheel drive Alfa ... again .... at last. The only thing I don't like in that article is the 4-cylinder engine (would like another Alfa v-6 as an option) and the concept of a Jeep-based SUV wearing the Milanese badge.
My father was an Alfa nut. There was always a book about the marque on the coffee table and there was always a Giulia, Berlina or 1750 GT on the front lawn ..... never an Alfasud or any of the later FWD "monstrosities". When I was growing up, Alfa was on a par with BMW in terms of performance and prestige. Those days are long gone, but it would be nice to see the marque claw a little of the lost ground back.

Sounds good to me.

I just wish some of this would filter down to the lower scale of the market. There is little that is both affordable and exciting and the market is teaming with dull, lookalike FWD snot boxes.

Have you tested the new Giulietta? It's really "premium" in every way apart from the navi+stereo which are bit too cheap-supermini -class.
But driving feel, engines (Multiair rocks! And there's the even more powerful one, with a weird name) and overall quality feels superb.

ED: I tried to appoint this to GerFix but failed.

Last edited:
Still FWD.

Struggling? Don't think so...the Giullietta is going like hot cakes, there are oodles of 147s, 159s, even quite a few Breras...They are doing just fine AFAIK.

FIAT has said otherwise.

Sounds good to me.

I just wish some of this would filter down to the lower scale of the market. There is little that is both affordable and exciting and the market is teaming with dull, lookalike FWD snot boxes.

Who knows there might be a Dodge built off the platform.

I wonder if they mean properly rear-engined like a Porsche, or if they just mean mid-engined.

Have you tested the new Giulietta? It's really "premium" in every way apart from the navi+stereo which are bit too cheap-supermini -class.
But driving feel, engines (Multiair rocks! And there's the even more powerful one, with a weird name) and overall quality feels superb.

ED: I tried to appoint this to GerFix but failed.

No, it was only released in Australia last month .. and I have only seen one on the road so far. Not really in the market for a car atm either. The stats on the engines sound very good though .. the 1.7 has 173kW :-o
The last Alfa I had was a GT .. that was very well built and finished. The only problem I had with it in 4 years was with the GERMAN CD changer :lol:

Much as I doubt it I hope this is a return to RWD territory for Alfa's whole range.