Recent adverts increase on youtube

I get anti-vape ads. Never tried it, never intend to, but whomever this algorithm thinks I am is very wrong.

I get those too. I also get a lot of lawyer ads, clothing and fashion. The only one I get on a semi regular basis that makes sense is for solar systems.

Just installed Adblock. So far so good. (y)
Wow, not one advert since the installation. Not even the little center banner. - What a threat. Phew. ?

So everything in the supermarket should be free just because you're already paying for the car you use to drive there?

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.
Of course it doesn't, that was just me being annoyed to the tilt after binging a handful of Youtube videos including what felt like 100 ads.

I understand that ads have their place, even if you open your wallet. Like a print magazine that has 50% adverts as content, or in the cinema when even after you pay up you get a few ads before the movie starts. - Which would be tolerable on Youtube, I don't mind a ad or two before the video, but what really took a toll on my nerves were the intercutting ones.

YouTube is nothing compared to the RTL group’s garbage streaming site. Luckily, there is only one show that the wife likes to watch, but that experience is bad enough:

The ads will often throw you out of full screen, the ad delivery system will have a fit if you have the temerity to fast forward to where you left and, as the icing on the cake, it often “forgets” that you’ve already watched the required number of ads. What follows is a never-ending cycle of crap that can only be solved by starting the show afresh and deleting the browser history. Which brings you straight back to the “do not fast forward” issue.

• Wow
Reactions: lip
On Android you can use either YouTube Vanced or NewPipe. On desktop uBlock Origin on Chromium browser still works.

Now let’s wait for them to hide the chapters away until you’ve watched all the ads…
I'll still have an adblocker for that, unless they provide some kind of intelligence for creators to highlight the chapters of their video that are sponsorship adverts and make those unskippable like some of the on-demand TV apps.

So everything in the supermarket should be free just because you're already paying for the car you use to drive there?

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.
I am very pro-pay-your-creators, but even I realize there's a law of diminishing returns where too much advertising just drives people off the site. What YouTube's been doing lately is hella annoying. A couple ads, fine, whatever, please pay the creators keeping your site afloat. Anything more and you lose peoples' interest, and they'll find something else to do with their time.

(This is a constant battle for written websites, too. We gotta get paid, but we also don't like angering our readers away with too many display ads.)

FWIW, Adblock Plus is one of the less customizable/less "complete" adblockers and it still nukes nearly all of YouTube's ads for me. I'm a little guilty about it, but dammit, it's unusable otherwise and I do try to pitch into creators' Patreon-type accounts to compensate for it where I can. (Bonus: Those seem to be more standard with their revenue terms than YouTube, which is a nightmare factory of odd scheme changes, surprise demonetizations and the like.)

Reactions: lip
Some of my favourite channels have gone really overboard with "like and subscribe and comment and buy our merchandise and visit our sponsors" lately, which is very annoying. This also very much keeps me from paying them via Patreon or similar services.

Sadly, the same tendency also creeps into the German podcast-sphere. WHO THE FUCK thinks having the hosts themselves read out the adverts is a good idea? Compared to normal ads, it makes them appear even more buyable and undermines their credibility, especially when what they do is - or wants to be - journalism.

Some of my favourite channels have gone really overboard with "like and subscribe and comment and buy our merchandise and visit our sponsors" lately, which is very annoying. This also very much keeps me from paying them via Patreon or similar services.

Sadly, the same tendency also creeps into the German podcast-sphere. WHO THE FUCK thinks having the hosts themselves read out the adverts is a good idea? Compared to normal ads, it makes them appear even more buyable and undermines their credibility, especially when what they do is - or wants to be - journalism.
Yeah, that's not my favorite. Like, at least get someone else to read it who isn't one of the main characters. I have a lot of respect for the ones who absolutely take the piss out of their ad reads.

Yup - english podcasts have been doing that for a while as well. In addition to their credibility and likeability suffering, this also makes it harder for me to just skip the bloody ad-block (because I tend to listen for the "right" voice) - but maybe that's part of the reason they're doing it (or having it done to them by the advertisers).
At least, as coco said, there's a few of them who will do such an over the top crazy reading that it can be considered taking the piss...

I, too, have installed an ad-blocker on Firefox for the first time in tears, as I've always felt slightly guilty when using one :LOL: I'm guessing things will slow down after the Holidays.

Was it painful? Why were you in tears? :p

Seriously, people: Install an adblocker. Do not feel guilty about it. Ads on the internet are in the most harmless case only a waste of the bandwidth you paid for, but more likely to actively endanger your device via malware. It's a completely rotten system, and taking measure to defend your data security is a necessary precaution.

I looked it up, I've installed Adblocker on Nov 29, 2021, and it's been 9 weeks since then. So far that blocked me 204'339 ads on Youtube alone. That's crazy. :oops:

Never seen one ad since then. Incredible. (y)
:nod: my µBlock is at 24M blocked things overall since install many many years ago. Non-blocked internet is pretty unusable.

I'm sitting on 3.04m adverts blocked on a computer I built roughly a year ago.

My own Youtube channel has toppled the monetisation hurdle, and I'm eligible to earn money from videos. How hypocritical is this in relation to me starting this thread?! :LOL:

Lots of people who make their main income on youtube use adblockers. Ideally, you'd turn of off when watching channels you'd like to support.