Recent adverts increase on youtube

lip

Car(s)
Renault Twizy
[rant]

It happend. I can't enjoy the content anymore, by now I actually get ads anxiety when I watch a video. I'm now forced three or more times in a 10min video to grab the mouse and skip-click consumer rubbish I would never buy or even touch with a pole. Some ads you can't even skip at all, and recently they have started to blast two ads in a row.

You win Youtube. I give up...

[/rant]

My solution: When I come home I take a few minutes to simply download most of the videos on my subscription page for that day and watch them later on from my harddrive. The end.

µBlock Origin blocks Youtube ads reliably. I can't enjoy it on iOS devices anymore for the same reason, but a browser with µBO and SmartTubeNext on the Android TV work a treat still. STN even has SponsorBlock built in, although I don't use that for now - most channels I watch aren't nearly obnoxious enough with their sponsoring to force me there... yet.

On Android phones and tablets, Youtube Vanced is supposedly also a decent solution, but I don't own any of those at the moment, so can't say for sure.

Yeah, YouTube has become unusable without anti-ad measures.

I use Vanced on my phone, works well.
On the computer, one of the usual ad blockers.
And the Kodi YouTube plugin also kills ads, so that sorts TV watching - kind of. The only thing that still has ads is the YouTube app built into my TV set-top box - which I therefore very rarely use, despite the very practical "mirror from phone" functionality.

You know you can pay to make the ads go away, right?

^ That's like paying taxes on top of paying taxes.

I already pay monthly for my internet. Get your money from that pile, Youtube. Otherwise FY.

I block ads and support the channels I like best on Patreon. Most of them are 3rd party sponsored anyway these days because YouTube is a mess. Skipping through NordVPN ads is a pain. I'll stop watching a channel if they are sponsored by RAID more than a couple of times...

That's where SponsorBlock comes in. Not only with STN on Android TVs, but also as a browser extension.

It's actually pretty neat - it uses crowdsourced timestamps to mark video segments, primarily the sponsor segments but also intro/outro, "comment, like and subscribe" etc, and can be configured to automatically skip any of them. By default, only the sponsor blocks are, well, blocked. And the crowdsourcing covers almost anything you'd really want to watch, and is quite fast - for the more popular channels, the segments are marked in minutes after a new video is up.

Not using it currently myself, but if a couple more of my usually watched channels start introducing sponsor segments, I might add it to µBO as a quality of life improvement.

Interesting, I didn't know about either of those, Thanks. I don't find them that offensive yet but I'll keep it in mind.

I have noticed ublock has been letting a couple of ads go. This is most unusual. YT has started to put ads even on nonmonetized videos, so it's just non-monetized to the uploader...douchey af

Consider using Floatplane, patreon, or any other method to support creators you give a shit about

Ublock or uBlock Origin? Big and important difference between the two, you want the latter :) I haven't ever seen a YT ad get through on my machine. It did break a couple times over the years, but that always caused the videos to not load at all.

What I hate are mid-roll commercials that are, like, 3 minute long rap videos. I sometimes put on a 20-30 minute video on my TV while I wash dishes. I've never had cable, so I'm used to commercials for free content. I normally will sit through the 15-30 second ads even if I can skip it in the first 5 because my hands are wet, and it's not worth the effort to skip it...but I need to stop what I'm doing to dry my hands to skip those ads which have zero relevance to me. There was another one where it was a 40 minute long Christian/worship channel commercial. They are sooooo barkin' up the wrong tree on their ad placement there. :lmao:

What I hate are mid-roll commercials that are, like, 3 minute long rap videos. I sometimes put on a 20-30 minute video on my TV while I wash dishes. I've never had cable, so I'm used to commercials for free content. I normally will sit through the 15-30 second ads even if I can skip it in the first 5 because my hands are wet, and it's not worth the effort to skip it...but I need to stop what I'm doing to dry my hands to skip those ads which have zero relevance to me. There was another one where it was a 40 minute long Christian/worship channel commercial. They are sooooo barkin' up the wrong tree on their ad placement there. :lmao:

I get anti-vape ads. Never tried it, never intend to, but whomever this algorithm thinks I am is very wrong.

Ublock or uBlock Origin? Big and important difference between the two, you want the latter :) I haven't ever seen a YT ad get through on my machine. It did break a couple times over the years, but that always caused the videos to not load at all.
1638152720282.png

Accept no substitutes :p

^ That's like paying taxes on top of paying taxes.

I already pay monthly for my internet. Get your money from that pile, Youtube. Otherwise FY.

So everything in the supermarket should be free just because you're already paying for the car you use to drive there?

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

What I hate are mid-roll commercials that are, like, 3 minute long rap videos.

This is my only gripe, adverts that are about the same as you used to get on the telly box are one thing but sometimes they'll fling a 10min video at you and I have to manually go and skip it.

They're advertising to the wrong guy anyway. All I get is adverts for holidays on tropical beaches with bikini clad birds sipping prosecco on rattan lawn furniture or flashy scenes of electric cars driving through dimly lit city streets. Guys, I'm watching a man build a 1960 Plymouth in a shed in Canada, get with it...

This is my only gripe, adverts that are about the same as you used to get on the telly box are one thing but sometimes they'll fling a 10min video at you and I have to manually go and skip it.

They're advertising to the wrong guy anyway. All I get is adverts for holidays on tropical beaches with bikini clad birds sipping prosecco on rattan lawn furniture or flashy scenes of electric cars driving through dimly lit city streets. Guys, I'm watching a man build a 1960 Plymouth in a shed in Canada, get with it...

And then the video starts, where I'm trying to figure out how to adjust my toilet's fill valve, and the guy starts by welcoming everyone to his channel, apologizing that it's been a while since his last upload, telling everyone what he's up to "in the shop", starts talking about the chili he made for trick-or-treaters and how they gave out almost all of it, how his space heaters in the garage aren't keeping up with the autumn weather...and THEN finally starts talking about the toilet...

Some people at least use chapters to allow skipping past their guff at the beginning, that was a nice new feature.