Recommend me a new satchel bag

Bretton Woods

It seems I'm starting to bring work home now instead of staying stupid hours at the office. I'll need a satchel-type bag to cart stuff around in. The ones I used for university are just too big (Crumpler Dreadful Embarrassment & Barney Rustle Blanket). I'd also prefer to have something that looks somewhat respectable when seeing clients.

I saw this rather excellent Braun Buffel bag.

spyder64brn.jpg

The cost of admission, however, is frankly ludicrous for my current pay grade.

Can anyone recommend a good bag that isn't hideously expensive?

I'd like carry handles as per the Braun Buffel design as well as a shoulder strap, so I can use it like a satchel or carry like a briefcase. I'm not too fussed about leather/fabric material, as long as it doesn't look like I salvaged it from the dump.

I got a North Face messenger bag. Not impressed by the quality at all, will replace it soon. Avoid.

i would get something like this
sams4191_01_laptop-pillow3-laptop-rugzak-43-9cm-17-3inch-zwart.jpg

if i have to carry it by hand all the time, it's a no go...

and who wants to be seen carrying a man-bag???

Last edited:
and who wants to be seen carrying a man-bag???
I cycle to work. A messenger bag is the best tool for the purpose of getting my stuff there and back.

I got a North Face messenger bag. Not impressed by the quality at all, will replace it soon. Avoid.

see my post, they have a lot of modern stuff too. A bit on the pricy side of things ... but really nice and durable. They are about 50 shops near you who have the Brand ... check them out and see them close up.

[...] and who wants to be seen carrying a man-bag???
Well, a Rucksack for going to work is out of the question for self-respecting grown-ups ... and a suitcase/briefcase is not really on the practical side of things for your everyday life (and makes you look like a tosser IMO) ...

Last edited:
Check out Country Road. A few of the guys at work have a range of their bags and swear by them.

I like (but have not purchased) this or slightly more casual this (on sale atm)

This is my father's website: www.cheyennesaddlecompany.com/id3.html
Look at the "Cattle King". What he has in the descriptor is true, it'll outlast your career and you can will it to your grandchildren.
Even with the cost of shipping it to Australia, it's a bargain.

This is my father's website: www.cheyennesaddlecompany.com/id3.html
Look at the "Cattle King". What he has in the descriptor is true, it'll outlast your career and you can will it to your grandchildren.
Even with the cost of shipping it to Australia, it's a bargain.

Can you post further pictures of it?

Last edited:
Can you post further pictures of it?

He's off sailing the Dutch Antilles, but will be back at the end of the week (semi-retirement is treating him well). Let me see if my sister has any more photos (she did the website).

--

Headed over to my sister's today and she has one of the bags. It was in her storage closest so it's a little dusty and has some wear spots. I hope this helps.
IMG_1730.JPGIMG_1727.JPGIMG_1729.JPGIMG_1731.jpgIMG_1732.JPG

Last edited:
bump for new photos.

Slow reply, but I ordered a Saddleback satchel. Good result and thankyou.

Special thanks to THGL for showing me his recommendation, but the Saddleback product had the pockets I was looking for.

Slow reply, but I ordered a Saddleback satchel. Good result and thankyou.

Special thanks to THGL for showing me his recommendation, but the Saddleback product had the pockets I was looking for.

Woot, how much to ship?

I'm looking at the Thin Front Pocket, either Dark or Carbon. Might pull the trigger I think.