Recommend my boyfriend a car...

melbournian

Car(s)
2003 Honda Jazz VTi-S
...or, more accurately, a realistically hireable four seater convertible which he can drive across the southern states of the USA (namely from Florida to LA). He needs reasonable space for two people to put luggage, and his budget is not a huge amount (so no Rolls Royce Drophead Coupes). I know shit all about what's available on the American market so I'm relying on youse guys.

How much is he willing to spend?

And don't forget you need to pay a big lump of deposit down if he wants a 4 seater convertible. Some places probably won't even allow him to hire an expensive car if he is too young (think you need to have at least 3 years of driving experience)

Just tell him to check the local AVIS shop for a list of convertibles and the price lists.

Last edited:
Well you are not going to get much choice at a rent-a-car...

Basically he'll probably get something like a PT Cruiser, Chrysler Sebring or Ford Mustang V6 convertibles. There aren't that many choices in the domestic market when it comes to 4 seater convertibles, and some places might only have one model of a specific class of car on the lot at that moment.

Also I think most places only rent to 25+ year olds... you should just check out their websites, you can figure out the minimum age if that's applicable to your boyfriend and also exactly what car they'll have during the relevant dates.

A friend of mine recently hired a Sebring convertible in America... and yeah, it was as terrible as you'd think.

Amusingly so though, so I'd almost recommend it as part of the experience. Almost.

I wouldn't recommend a convertible in the southern bits of the US at the moment. We are smack in the middle of "Whatever the fuck weather you get is what you get" weather, if that makes sense. Yesterday, here in Oklahoma, it was 95*f. Today, it's supposed to be only 55*f with rain.

I say go for a nice 4 door econo-box. Cheaper to rent, decent handling if you find one of those rare twisty roads, and they get good mileage on the highway.

Hertz Mustang should do the trick.

...or, more accurately, a realistically hireable four seater convertible which he can drive across the southern states of the USA (namely from Florida to LA). He needs reasonable space for two people to put luggage, and his budget is not a huge amount (so no Rolls Royce Drophead Coupes). I know shit all about what's available on the American market so I'm relying on youse guys.

+1 for saying youse.

Rolls Royce Drophead Coupe

Wait, shit.

I wouldn't recommend a convertible in the southern bits of the US at the moment.
This. I mean, having a convertible and cruising along the US is neat and all... but if he has the top up the whole time (or even half the time), that's just a whole lot of money wasted. AND it's probably going to be a shit car outside of being a soft-top, so that will just make it twice as bad. He might as well just get something fun to drive and roll down the windows when applicable.

Last edited:
Don't worry, he's 25...I like dating old farts :p I automatically thought the PT cruiser which is a shocker of a thing, and did a bit of googling and saw the Toyota Camry Solara which looks inoffensive enough. I'm not going on this trip so he can drive whatever he likes :) I keep trying to tell him a convertible is a horrible idea, but he'll be going in the summer and he's pretty set on it, and since I won't be there to witness the torture (he's taking an old school friend and I would pity her but she's known him since she was a kid so she should know better) I can't really be bothered to stop him...plus it'll be really funny to hear his stories :lol:

I wouldn't recommend a convertible in the southern bits of the US at the moment.
You have to remember they are coming from Australia, I think they still use rocks to cook bacon.

Anyways, if your boyfriend was a real man he'd know exactly what car, and he'd be stubborn beyond belief to any other suggestion.

But he should go with this, being a man, he should be able to sacrifice ride comfort for fun. (And I suspect if he doesn't know what car to get already, he may be slightly fruity anyways)

miata.jpg

And may I suggest a change in route:

[url=http://img.phyrefile.com/twerp129/2009/04/27/Picture_2.png][img]https://pic.armedcats.net/t/tw/twerp129/2009/04/27/Picture_2.png[/url][/IMG]

Seriously though, don't go for a PT and especially not a Sebring, they are definitely way more gay than the Miata. Gotta spring for the Mustang.

Last edited:
If he just wants a normal 4 seater convertible, then go with a Mustang convertible. It's a great car to cruise in and it should be simi nice around some twisty bits. If he wants a flashy car, I say a CLK class Mercedes. The Miata would be amazing around corners, but I couldn't even dream about driving a Miata for more than 200 miles.

Pontiac G6 convertible. Probably just as bad as a Chrysler Sebring, and 30 seconds for the roof to come down might seem like forever. Only other vehicles I can think of are Mustang convertible, or Volvo C70, but I'm not sure if any rental agencies have those.

And may I suggest a change in route:

[url=http://img.phyrefile.com/twerp129/2009/04/27/Picture_2.png][img]https://pic.armedcats.net/t/tw/twerp129/2009/04/27/Picture_2.png[/url][/IMG]

Oh good god, NO. I-75 through Georgia and Florida is very nearly the worst bit of driving....... in the world.

I'm going to hop on the Mustang bandwagon. It's really the only car you can count on being able to hire, other than a Corvette.