Recommendations for a new/used camera...

Recommendations for a new/used camera...

• NEW CANON EOS 550D + 18-55 IS KIT

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • NEW CANON EOS 550D + 17-85 IS KIT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NEW CANON EOS 50D BODY ONLY

• NEW CANON EOS 60D BODY ONLY

• NEW CANON EOS 60D + 18-55 IS KIT

• USED Canon EOS 1D Mark II

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • USED CANON EOS 50D Mark I

• USED CANON EOS 5D Mark I

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • USED CANON EOS 7D Mark I

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • USED CANON EOS 40D

• USED CANON EOS 1D MK II N

• USED CANON EOS 1D S

• USED CANON EOS 1 + CANON LC-3

• Total voters

sifu

Car(s)
-11 BMW F11 528i Sport
Hi, im toying with an idea for replacing my belowed 350d. It has some wear, the transfers from camera to pc is starting to bug out (shall post some examples, and i dont know if its my pc or the cam/memory card. Pictures are fine in cam, but after import they arent), shutter count is rather high.. it has been in some mishaps and it has chocolate jammed in controls..

So my budget.. 400-700? should be fine maybe even more. I paid 350? for my 350d when i bought it second hand and i think i can manage with slight rise in that department.. after all i try to sell my 350d.. if i cant sell it, its going for my niece as a practise camera.

So the requirements..
- I should stick with Canon, I have two lenses i adore from canon (50mm f1.8II and 105mm f2.8 Sigma Macro) and replacing them also would be pain in the a** and time consuming.
- I think i want to get an used camera, because stepping up for a better camera is what i want. Is it a proper step up when going from 350d -> 550d? Maybe im stepping up even for a full frame. Video is not relevant to my interest, FPS and focusing speed are important, as is good ISO-performance.

So the cameras im thinking now:
(Prices only from one shop from Finland, used ones are taken as an exchange. Normally from reporters, newspaper photographers etc.)

NEW:
1. NEW CANON EOS 550D + 18-55 IS KIT 699,00 ?
2. NEW CANON EOS 550D + 17-85 IS KIT 799,00 ?
3. CANON EOS 50D BODY ONLY 699,00 ?
4. CANON EOS 60D BODY ONLY 899,00 ?
5. CANON EOS 60D + 18-55 IS KIT 999,00 ?

USED:
6. Canon EOS 1D Mark II 795,00 ?,checked in canon service. (can be had for 650? when not checked.
7. CANON EOS 50D, 595,00 ?, checked in canon service.
8. CANON EOS 5D, 895,00 ?, checked in canon service. (can be had for 750? when not checked.
9. CANON EOS 7D, 1095,00 ?, checked in canon service.
10. CANON EOS 40D 479,00 ?, checked in canon service.
11. CANON EOS 1 + CANON LC-3 249,00 ?, just for the lulz :)
12. CANON EOS 1D MK II N 950,00 ?.
13. CANON EOS 1D S 1150,00 ?

Opinions, user experienses etc are welcome.

Last edited:
my question, do you want to make the big jump to full frame? then go for the 5D, if not, then I say pick up a 7D (avoid the newer 60D I hear its cheaply built and kind of overrated as a successor to the 50D). You of course know stepping up to FF to obligate you to purchase more expensive FF only lenses from now on...

Personally I would say stick w crop and get the 7D which is great up to date technology. I have no comment or knowledge on the 1D lineup.

Last edited:
^ What he said... Though, I have heard that the 60D is a very good camera, and the build quality felt much better in my hands than the "plastics-oh-noes!!!11oneelleven.." mob makes it out to be. If focus speed and FPS is your thing then it's either 7D, or 1D mkII. The latter is built like a tank, and is useful if you need your camera to double up as personal protection, though it still only accepts full frame EF lenses, so no EF-S. Also, a 1D tends to scare people away, unless you're at a spot with professionals...

Insane list is insane? The price range you have doubles from lowest to highest. If you're really ready and willing to shell out for the most expensive thing on your list then you can just throw out everything but the 7D and 5D. (5D > 1DS I in basically every way except AF, 1DS isn't even weather sealed at all).

Insane list is insane? The price range you have doubles from lowest to highest. If you're really ready and willing to shell out for the most expensive thing on your list then you can just throw out everything but the 7D and 5D. (5D > 1DS I in basically every way except AF, 1DS isn't even weather sealed at all).

Just because he probably has a good job and actual substantial money to spend on camera gear, probably allowing him a more flexible spending budget then some? That's insane?

Fuck off ed. No, the list is insane because it's half of the DSLRs canon has produced. It's insane because it is incoherent, it has so many cameras in totally different classes and price points that there's really no worthwhile advice we can give him without further input. It's like if someone came to the forum asking what car they should buy and listing a 2005 Sunfire and and a brand new WRX. And what the fuck is your point anyways, I sort of recommended two of the most expensive cameras from his list. Fuck you.

1Ds (even mkI) is weather sealed... All Canon EOS 1-series cameras are built like tanks, featuring the toughest weather sealing available.

mah b, statement still stands without that point.

Last edited:
Fuck off ed. No, the list is insane because it's half of the DSLRs canon has produced. It's insane because it is incoherent, it has so many cameras in totally different classes and price points that there's really no worthwhile advice we can give him without further input. It's like if someone came to the forum asking what car they should buy and listing a 2005 Sunfire and and a brand new WRX. And what the fuck is your point anyways, I sort of recommended two of the most expensive cameras from his list. Fuck you.

Take a deep breath and step away from the computer for a while, someone needs to relax.

I was defending OP's list of choices, so no, i'm sorry, but I will not do as you tell me to.

Last edited:
Yes, its sort of a full catalog, but my point is also to compare new up to date gear with older more top of the range gear.. Are they still up for it etc..

I just sold my 5D mk1 a few weeks ago, but I don't have access to other bodies other than the 5D mk2 or the 1D mk4, so I can't really compare it to other bodies. There are things that are definitely outdated, especially things like the LCD (it's low resolution and way washed out, no auto brightness), and the menu system (it's a giant long list of things). But in terms of image quality, it's still mostly very good (but then it is a few years old, so stuff like noise and dynamic range is not as good as the current one). The 5D mk1 is not weather sealed, although I don't know if you want to call the 5D mk2 weather sealed either, I had it in the rain for like 15 mins and the viewfinder was all fogged up the next morning.

That being said, I think it really depends on what you shoot. If you want to shoot landscape/portraits, even an old full frame like the 5D mk1 may be useful for you, but since you said FPS is important, I say stay away from it.

Last edited:
Canon are good - I prefer Nikons.

969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

From that list of cameras I'd defiantly only be considering a 7D or 5D. Is there anyway you can try them out? The two cameras are really vastly different, and the 7D will be better in every way except image quality. You might want to consider if you'd like more field of view out of your lenses, since between the two, the output will be much different, so if you're comfortable with the fov from the focal length you have currently, you might not want to step up to a ff.

Hi, im toying with an idea for replacing my belowed 350d. It has some wear, the transfers from camera to pc is starting to bug out (shall post some examples, and i dont know if its my pc or the cam/memory card. Pictures are fine in cam, but after import they arent)

artsy.jpg

As you can see... normal import with win7, then bridge, acr, ps cs5. Picture is fine in cam, then it becomes this. I recopy it from the canon to pc and its fine again..

I am in a very similar boat: 350D and want to upgrade. After thinking about it for a while I decided that my money is better spent on glass. However, I don't have the transfer issues that you are having. With that, I vote 7D or 60D.

Canon are good - I prefer Nikons.
:hammer:

Last edited:
My brother-in-law recently upgraded to a 7D from an XTi/400D. But, he shoots almost exclusively with his 50/1.8 and does great work with it.

The raw thing gets weirder.. I copyed them to another computer.. downloaded some raw viewer and raw jpeg converter.. both did just fine.. no problems.. I searched the shared folder (the another computers disk where the pics were) in adobe bridge and it messes them up in preview screen.. They seem fine, but one by one it turns them to those monsters. It gets weirder.. bridge and cs5 seem to think that half the pics i uploaded to my computer arent .cr2:s. So they can open em. Same pics were fine in the another computer.. from the same camera.. same pictures. Still more to come.. The pictures that i have uploaded before december to my computer are just fine.. they look fine in the same bridge,cs5 and preview. They open and work just fine..

Last edited: