Red Jaguar E-Type

Vltros

Car(s)
2011 Honda CR-Z 1977 Ford Fiesta MK1
These pic were actually taken 2 years ago in an International Festival of Old cars and Microcars in my city (Which BTW it's coming again to my ciy this weekend :D).

And I found this beauty...

A General View
http://img452.imageshack.**/img452/9778/pict0001hc2.jpg

Front

http://img452.imageshack.**/img452/5702/pict0002hg4.jpg

Back

http://img264.imageshack.**/img264/1061/pict0005cy4.jpg

The Interior

http://img264.imageshack.**/img264/1313/pict0003md9.jpg

Wheels

http://img177.imageshack.**/img177/1037/pict0009bl8.jpg

And finally another general view

http://img177.imageshack.**/img177/5903/pict0010ns3.jpg

And yes I know there is another thread about a Jaguar E-Type but it doesn't have actual photos of the car sighted, so I thought I could post them in a new thread. :p

Beautiful, beautiful car. I wish Dad had kept his!

That's a beautiful car. One of my favourite designs of all time.

I simply do not get why everybody is so passionate about the E-type. It's rather dull looking to me..

But i guess i'm just too young to properly appreciate it =)

I simply do not get why everybody is so passionate about the E-type. It's rather dull looking to me..

I've always felt the same way, never understood the hype around the E-Type. It looks like a clown shoe.

God that thing is awesome, I never really like the coupe, the convertible though is just sex on wheels

You just have no taste. You probably like Ladas.

^ same here, But its engine is one of the most beautiful.

Maybe the "dull" design and the lack of a decent spoiler ;) is the purity in design other people love.

I even prefer the Coup? :)

Beautiful car, but as shown on Top Gear, old technology definitely sucks. Wouldn't mind owning one with modern suspension though...

Maybe because when it was created, a car with a design and an engine like the ones in the E-Type have never been done before??? And because of that it became a legend???

People should look at the cars bearing in mind the year that were created not by just simply comparing it with more "actual" cars.

Maybe because when it was created, a car with a design and an engine like the ones in the E-Type have never been done before??? And because of that it became a legend???

People should look at the cars bearing in mind the year that were created not by just simply comparing it with more "actual" cars.

true, but it still gets to much honour imho

based on design and technology used, this one takes the crown for me - lightyears ahead of everything
163706.jpg

and based on looks, they don't come more beatyfull than this
po356as55.jpg

my all time favorites :)

Last edited:
true, but it still gets to much honour imho

based on design and technology used, this one takes the crown for me - lightyears ahead of everything
163706.jpg

and based on looks, they don't come more beatyfull than this
po356as55.jpg

my all time favorites :)

Of course of course!!! You are completely right!! ;)
Those two examples are beautiful pieces of machinery! Then I guess we are talking about a matter of Personal Opinion. Which then changes completely the opinion about a car. But in the last post I was thinking about the people who criticise old cars because they are not "new" and haven't got the latest technology.

o rly?

based on design and technology used, this one takes the crown for me
Looks are a subjective thing, yes so I'll give you that one. But saying "based on design and technology used" and then posting the Mercedes 300 SL, with it's flimsy chassis and live rear axle... Just :lol:

The E-type was a fair bit better than the Mercedes in every concievable way. Firstly the steel spaceframe bolted onto and aluminium monocoque offered superior chassis rigidity and balance. Secondly the Jaguars double wishbone suspension was again in annother class. This in combination with the chassis gave the E-type it's very predictable and balanced handling. The SL had very little grip on uneven surfaces due to it's live rear axle. It also came with the all round disc brakes that gave the C-type its victory at Le Mans. Thirdly the SL cost a forune in it's days, whereas the E-type was actually reasonable affordable. In fact the E-type was perhaps the Z06 of it's days, offering Ferrari beating performance at just a fraction of the cost. Then last but not least, the E-type's engine, the large displacement DOHC inline six lived on well into the 90s, I'm sure Spectre, who has lots of experience on that engine in his XJ could fill in here...

Sir Stirling Moss drove both the various competition versions of the Mercedes SL and the Jaguar C and D-type, and according to him the latter ones are among the best handling cars ever made, regardless of era...

Beautiful car, but as shown on Top Gear, old technology definitely sucks. Wouldn't mind owning one with modern suspension though...

What Top Gear didn't say was that the difference between the "original" suspension and "modern" suspensions was a standard maintenance overhaul, plus replacing all the rubber bushings with polyurethane, Delrin, and bronze (in the appropriate places). None of the hard parts are changed.

Yeah, the original suspension design is *that* good. It's just that the bushings suck by modern standards. A simple bushing replacement is all that it takes to bring it up to par.

Everyone could afford an E-Type, and it looked like nothing else before it. It is a watershed car, a milestone; automotive history can be divided into "before E-Type" and "after E-Type". It brought exotic racing technology to the masses and made everyone go back to the drawing boards by making everything else obsolete overnight.

No less a person than Enzo Ferrari said that the E-Type was the most beautiful car ever made and that he wished Ferrari had been the company that built it.

Looks are a subjective thing, yes so I'll give you that one. But saying "based on design and technology used" and then posting the Mercedes 300 SL, with it's flimsy chassis and live rear axle... Just :lol:

The E-type was a fair bit better than the Mercedes in every concievable way. Firstly the steel spaceframe bolted onto and aluminium monocoque offered superior chassis rigidity and balance. Secondly the Jaguars double wishbone suspension was again in annother class. This in combination with the chassis gave the E-type it's very predictable and balanced handling. The SL had very little grip on uneven surfaces due to it's live rear axle. It also came with the all round disc brakes that gave the C-type its victory at Le Mans. Thirdly the SL cost a forune in it's days, whereas the E-type was actually reasonable affordable. In fact the E-type was perhaps the Z06 of it's days, offering Ferrari beating performance at just a fraction of the cost. Then last but not least, the E-type's engine, the large displacement DOHC inline six lived on well into the 90s, I'm sure Spectre, who has lots of experience on that engine in his XJ could fill in here...

Sir Stirling Moss drove both the various competition versions of the Mercedes SL and the Jaguar C and D-type, and according to him the latter ones are among the best handling cars ever made, regardless of era...

Yup. In addition, the E-Type remained competitive in motorsport long, long after the car went out of production in 1974. In *1980*, a privateer outfit by the name of Gran Turismo Jaguar took on the factory Nissan BRE/Newman team in SCCA C-Production with a 4.2L XKE coupe - and took the championship away from Nissan.

My XJ6 does have the 4.2L I6 out of the E-Type. It also has the entire rear subframe and rear suspension from the E-type, as well as much front suspension commonality. The engine was in production as late as 1992 (making for a 46-year production run) and powered everything from the Queen's Daimler limo to an entire family of tanks and APCs. It has a nice broad powerband and is at least as reliable as any engine that was its contemporary. They're also almost impossible to break.

In 1979, when the 4.2 gained fuel injection for the world market, the "ancient" I6 was among the top engines in the world passenger car market in terms of power. It had 205hp - the top Corvette at the time had, um, 150; the top Ferrari had only 45 more horsepower and was considerably less reliable. Not bad for an ancient design.

The unmodified rear suspension made it all the way until 2003, when the Aston Martin DB7 (which used it under license, but did use modern bushings) went out of production. My XJ, with the same suspension (and the same bushings - I upgraded) handles with the best that BMW and Mercedes can put out *today*, but simply glides over bumps, potholes, and imperfections that have the German drivers spilling their drinks. The E-type is much the same, when given modern bushings and wheels/tires. Great handling, but not at the expense of ride quality - something that even some of today's active/semi-active suspensions still have trouble rendering.

The E-type changed everything. Being stunningly, timelessly beautiful didn't hurt. And Malcolm L. Sayer's design still resonates down the ages to today.

Ten-year-old boys *still* have posters of the E-Type on their walls.

Last edited: