Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Strelok16

Car(s)
'69 Mustang project, '92 Buick Retiree-gal
If you played Red Orchestra: Ostfront, or the UT mod that came before it, then you know what this game is all about. If you haven't, then this quote from this interview sums it up nicely I think:

Rockpapershotgun said:
To anyone with no idea what Red Orchestra is, let me help out: It?s a multiplayer FPS, set on the Eastern front of World War 2, which captures above all else the grayness and desperation of those nightmare battlefields. Red Orchestra is a game of wincing at suppressive fire, of bayonet attacks, and of struggling to figure out whether that figure is a German or a Russian because muddy gray and muddy brown often look the same in dim lighting.

The sequel?s looking to expand on everything that made the original game great, including its horrific tank combat.

Trailer (Gametrailers, can't embed)

Official Site

I can't wait, especially after reading about what the new tanks will be like. And free content updates!

I wonder how casual gamers would react if the game has the same realism or even more than the original.

I wonder how casual gamers would react if the game has the same realism or even more than the original.

I really hope it has. I love the orginal, haven't played it for a few years though.

How realistic was the original when compared to something like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six? Obviously they're different wars in different points in history; I'm talking about realistic depictions of weapon behavior, damage from being shot, etc.

How realistic was the original when compared to something like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six? Obviously they're different wars in different points in history; I'm talking about realistic depictions of weapon behavior, damage from being shot, etc.

About the same. In RO, getting hit once with something in rifle caliber will almost always kill you. Recoil and weapon handling are pretty accurate too I'd say.

If there are any other games comparable to RO, I'd say they'd be the original Ghost Recon, the original Operation Flashpoint, and the ArmA series.

I?ve been a huge fan of the RO-mod and RO: Ostfront ... I?ve been a player since something like 2003/2004.

... but I?ve pretty much lost faith in Tripwire since Killing Floor to produce a decent game. The trailer/teaser maxtortheone posted doesn?t change that. I?ve been hearing those soundbites for years now. Put something new into a teaser ... nobody cares about flying limbs ... Red Orchestra has moved faster forward when it still was a mod. I still enjoy it, but it?s stagnating since Ostfront. Not much new in years and this doesn?t look like there will be much too look forward too except some new maps. I won?t pay for a mappack with some new solider-skins tripwire, count on that.

But then Tripwire ... please prove me wrong and make this brilliant :)

Beta is live for anyone who preordered the deluxe edition. Get it while its hot the servers are getting hammered!

I just preordered it a couple hours ago, myself.

I didn't preorder, I wouldn't have time to play the beta anyway. I'll probably end up picking it up from Fry's.

BTW, anyone who hasn't gotten it yet, what are you waiting for you communist scum! Schnell!

Bayonetts are awesome. I'm thoroughly enjoying them until they get the whole day 1 unlocks sorted - I shouldn't have bayonnets unlocked for the bolt action rifles because I don't have RO1, but at the moment I think even everyone with the standard edition is getting the deluxe unlocks. Sneak into an objective building with half a dozen Ivans staring out the window, proceed to jam a bayonnet into the back of all their stupid necks. I got 12 in one round once.

I haven't got it because it seems there are a lot of unhappy people. To buggy and doesn't run well for a fair few people. Also I have no idea if there will be any local servers around here. I've been playing RO1 on US servers, and the lag is shit sometimes. If the aussie guys have all moved to RO2 then I guess I'll have to get it sooner or later.

I got it a week or so ago while it as in beta. It's not as bad as everyone seems to think. There may be a few bugs, but nothing that can't be patched and fixed. I see most of the complaints coming from people who expect it to be like CoD or something, not expecting a tactical element to gameplay.

The server list seems to have several usually full Aussize/NZ servers too.

I picked it up the other day. It's still sitting on my desk, not being installed though. Fuck you homework! :shakefist:

I haven't got it because it seems there are a lot of unhappy people. To buggy and doesn't run well for a fair few people.
Whiners are just louder than everyone who's too busy having fun playing the game, if you go by what a bunch of people say on some forums you'll never buy any game ever again :p

It's really mostly server lag, Unreal has a knack for not running great with large servers. The bugs are getting hammered out, fair enough if you want to wait a week or two for the major ones to get patched out.

I haven't had too many problems, surprisingly enough, from what everyone's saying. Some framerate stuttering, but that's pretty much all.

Also, real men use manual bolting.

Well this is somewhat of an evolution in FPSs I think... no crosshairs, manual bolting, no ammo counter, 1 shot deaths...

Rough around the edges but it's trying to innovate, I'm liking it

[...]but it's trying to innovate
The game has been around since 2003 (as a mod for UT2003 first) with this concept ... I can hardly find it "innovating" anymore. "Different than the norm" would be more fitting IMO. It?s still one of the most intense Multiplayer experiences out there ... but since coming up with the "realism" concept at the beginning, RO has not pushed the envelope for FPS games one bit.