Refurbishing steelies&hubcaps

Boobo-oobo

Car(s)
e46 330xd Touring
I have a set of 15" steel wheel and a hubcaps from my old w124 that i want to refurbish.

Disassembled the hubcaps, Im gonna repaint them when I sand them down, but I don't know what to do with the chromed parts (I guess they're chrome). Re-chrome them, paint them too? They look to be plastic underneath. Any suggestions what would be the best method?

Cowboy

My name is Sheridan
It's not really chrome, it plastic with chrome paint on it.

Re-chroming something like that is possible, but it's a professional job, the old chrome has to be stripped away carefully (as to not damage the plastic that must have gone brittle with age) then re-crome-painted and polished, not easy, not fast, not cheap.

In DIY stores you can find stuff like 'chrome spray' in a can.....none of that shit works, stay away from it.

If you ask me you are just as well of sanding the old chrome away and just spray painting the stars a slightly darker shade of grey than the hudcaps themselves, should look alright from a distance.

Last edited:

Boobo-oobo

Car(s)
e46 330xd Touring
It's not really chrome, it plastic with chrome paint on it.

Re-chroming something like that is possible, but it's a professional job, the old chrome has to be stripped away carefully (as to not damage the plastic that must have gone brittle with age) then re-crome-painted and polished, not easy, not fast, not cheap.

In DIY stores you can find stuff like 'chrome spray' in a can.....none of that shit works, stay away from it.

If you ask me you are just as well of sanding the old chrome away and just spray painting the stars a slightly darker shade of grey than the hudcaps themselves, should look alright from a distance.
Thanks, think im just gonna do that, repaint them to some grey color.

Or to the new balkan standard shade of blue? Or start a new trend of balkan red? Perhaps black?

Tried to clean the brake dust off the hubcaps, but didnt go as planned. Did 4 iterations of spraying and scrubbing with a brush. The rear ones turned OK-ish, the front ones need some more work.