Refurbishing steelies&hubcaps

Boobo-oobo

Car(s)
e46 330xd Touring
I have a set of 15" steel wheel and a hubcaps from my old w124 that i want to refurbish.

celicne-felge-15-mercedes-5-rupa-ratkape-slika-17382675.jpg

celicne-felge-15-mercedes-5-rupa-ratkape-slika-17382674.jpg

Disassembled the hubcaps, Im gonna repaint them when I sand them down, but I don't know what to do with the chromed parts (I guess they're chrome). Re-chrome them, paint them too? They look to be plastic underneath. Any suggestions what would be the best method?

WP_20140403_15_05_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20140403_15_06_07_Pro.jpg

It's not really chrome, it plastic with chrome paint on it.

Re-chroming something like that is possible, but it's a professional job, the old chrome has to be stripped away carefully (as to not damage the plastic that must have gone brittle with age) then re-crome-painted and polished, not easy, not fast, not cheap.

In DIY stores you can find stuff like 'chrome spray' in a can.....none of that shit works, stay away from it.

If you ask me you are just as well of sanding the old chrome away and just spray painting the stars a slightly darker shade of grey than the hudcaps themselves, should look alright from a distance.

Last edited:
It's not really chrome, it plastic with chrome paint on it.

Re-chroming something like that is possible, but it's a professional job, the old chrome has to be stripped away carefully (as to not damage the plastic that must have gone brittle with age) then re-crome-painted and polished, not easy, not fast, not cheap.

In DIY stores you can find stuff like 'chrome spray' in a can.....none of that shit works, stay away from it.

If you ask me you are just as well of sanding the old chrome away and just spray painting the stars a slightly darker shade of grey than the hudcaps themselves, should look alright from a distance.

Thanks, think im just gonna do that, repaint them to some grey color.

Or to the new balkan standard shade of blue? Or start a new trend of balkan red? Perhaps black?
WP_20140403_15_05_38_Pro5PFX1.jpg

Tried to clean the brake dust off the hubcaps, but didnt go as planned. Did 4 iterations of spraying and scrubbing with a brush. The rear ones turned OK-ish, the front ones need some more work.

WP_20140403_17_05_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20140403_15_56_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20140403_17_02_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20140403_17_03_13_Pro.jpg