Religion thread (BE RESPECTFUL)

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Since the random thoughts thread has started increasing in posts about religion, I, with the ideas and posts from others, thought we should have a dedicated thread about it.

Here's the deal though: Just as with the political section - DON'T DISRESPECT OTHERS. Everyone comes from some background in religion, be it something orthodox and strict to no religion at all. Everyone has a right to their individual beliefs and as another human being who is walking on this Earth, you should at least be open to listening to their beliefs, even if it clashes with yours. That being said, if someone is clearly disrespecting your views and beliefs, you have every right to admonish and bring clear the nature of their response to them in a diplomatic and non-antagonizing manner.

So ask questions, talk about where you come from, talk about religious problems in the world and how you feel about them, anything religion-oriented, go for it.

Tell us what religion you follow or believe, if you label yourself with a particular name, or if you're a "free agent" that takes bits and pieces from everything or even nothing.

For me, I am a Hindu. I am of the Brahmin caste, and right away I'm going to tell you that it's not the HIGHEST caste. There is no such thing as the highest caste. Without insulting the UKanians on this forum, all of the invaders came and screwed the system up, from the mughals to the brits. The caste system was a division of labor, with everyone getting equal treatment. No-one in our families has issues with touching or acting friendly to the "untouchable" caste. We have members of this caste helping us at home, and we treat them like our own family. We take care of them in that regard, and we love them as much as we love members of our own family. I was never raised to treat anyone else differently just because of where they come from or who they are. Which is why it was a huge shock to me when I grew up and felt the sting of discrimination directly. I couldn't believe there were people like that.

Hinduism is not a religion. I cannot impress this fact enough. It's a Dharma - which means philosophy, law, way of life. None of the words by themselves can really express the meaning of Dharma, but together they sort of paint the picture for what it is. Likewise with Buddhism, it's not a religion. The unofficial name for Hinduism is Santhana Dharma, which roughly translates to eternal law or unbreakable philosophy. And because of the flexibility of the "religion" and the fact that it isn't a religion at all, explains why so few were converted to Christianity even at gunpoint when India was last invaded and occupied (no offense to the UKanians again). Buddhism is again called Buddha Dharma, or Buddha's philosophies.

Hinduism is mostly about treating others and a science in terms of understanding nature and the universe, and where we come from. Having read the Upanishads (which is a sequence of back-and-forths between a sage and his students), I can clearly and unequivocally assert that Hinduism is a science based on millennia upon millennia of studies of the universe. It's basically astrophysics, which is why I never see it clashing with the work I do, and I never see work clashing with Hinduism.

I personally don't like to use the word God to explain things, because I have astrophysics to explain them. I don't mind however giving Hindu God labels to things, because the names just represent that aspect of the universe. For example, there is a form of Shiva, called Nataraja, who is dancing the cosmic dance.

NatarajaHA.jpg

They say if he stops dancing, every single atom in the universe will stop, and they have even created a story (or stories) about that, which my mom told me when I was a kid. But she, and I, call it Kinetic Energy, because that's what it is. Nataraja = Kinetic energy. Likewise, Krishna represents darkness, aka Dark matter and Dark Energy. Bhoomi is the Earth goddess, Surya is the sun and Chandra is the moon, etc etc.

Anyways I've rambled. Start the discussion, and feel free to ask me anything about Hinduism. While I'm still learning the intricacies of it, I can provide my background and understanding of it, and I feel like I have a good overall understanding and feel like it would represent almost what an outside observer would say about it.

I follow the line of though of most religious scholars, all religions are to be respected, except for Manichaeism. :p

Start one if you so desire, but it may seem insulting to just have a few labels and then go "Other".

This thread can only end well...

On topic:

Back in college I took a religious communication course, which was quite serious, and at the end I had to write a 30-page analysis paper on the religion I chose - Hinduism. It was really fascinating to find out the reality hiding behind pop-culture stereotypes and ethnocentric attitudes.

As a result, I do have a higher respect for all religions and belief systems.

Oddly enough, I found out that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all come from the same root of tradition. So in terms of this, a lot of political and radical discourse of creating an enemy in the face of those religions is a bit irrational. I would never go as far as equating the three, but the fact is that all three are grounded in the belief in a single ultimate being (known by different names, and through the years changed somewhat). *someone please correct me if I am wrong here*

This class was wildly unpopular when I took it because it strived for objective understanding of all major religions...this in a small college in rural, conservative West Virginia, with 15 Christian churches in the vicinity. I knew people who wanted to go on mission trips to the middle east, to show the people there "the right way" and the "path to God". They wanted to go and "save them". I tried having rational conversation with these people a few times but I failed. They couldn't possibly perceive my idea that what they were trying to do was not very dissimilar to what they were fighting against - "the radical religious conquest of the middle east that resulted in the attacks of 9/11."

I am glad I don't live in West Virginia anymore :)

I am religious, to a point, I was raised Catholic and some of it has stuck.

I believe in a supreme beeing watching over us all, I also believe he's not doing a good job and should get of his fucking ass.
I believe in the bible, to the point I feel they are either symbolic stories, or legends based on real events.

To give you a simple example: I have no problems believing that at some point there was a longhaired guy on sandles walking around preaching God's word, and preforming things people at the time could not understand.....but the water to wine trick is something he would have to teach me. :p

The story about creation on the other hand I obviously cannot believe, so I see the whole '7 days' as a symbol for '70 billion years' only explained in terms people at the time could understand.

In short, I believe there is a God, I believe there is a basis for religion, and I hope I get to meet the guy, whatever he is.

Last edited:
Start one if you so desire, but it may seem insulting to just have a few labels and then go "Other".

That's one of the reasons why I didn't do that yet. First, how far to go before going "other", and second, how detailed to go before bunching stuff together. For example, "Christian" may offend both catholics and non-catholics :lol:

...the only non-offending way would be to not create on in the first place :dunno:

Oddly enough, I found out that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all come from the same root of tradition. So in terms of this, a lot of political and radical discourse of creating an enemy in the face of those religions is a bit irrational. I would never go as far as equating the three, but the fact is that all three are grounded in the belief in a single ultimate being (known by different names, and through the years changed somewhat). *someone please correct me if I am wrong here*

I'll disagree on part of the common origin aspect. :p

Both Christianity and Islam are built from a Zoroastrian template: heaven/hell, single good creation god, resurrection of a savior, and the ultimate fight of good verses evil.

Sects of Judaism did adopt some concepts from Zoroastrianism around the 6th century B.C. but they didn't use it as a template (Rabbinic Judaism does integrate some of these beliefs).

I'll disagree on part of the common origin aspect. :p

Both Christianity and Islam are built from a Zoroastrian template: heaven/hell, single good creation god, resurrection of a savior, and the ultimate fight of good verses evil.

Sects of Judaism did adopt some concepts from Zoroastrianism around the 6th century B.C. but they didn't use it as a template (Rabbinic Judaism does integrate some of these beliefs).

My point was that they all trace their roots to Abraham.

I'm an atheist and am fairly serious about it.

I've never been to a church service in my life (except for a funeral) so religion was just never anything that I was exposed to. Since religion is entirely a taught thing (at least in my opinion :rolleyes:), it was just never a part of my life.

I think my mom believes in God but I'm frankly not sure. My dad is going to church again since he remarried and his mom was a pillar of her church. Not sure really why my parents never took me to church as a kid but frankly I'm glad they didn't.

Last edited:
Raised as an Eastern Orthodox Christian, but right now let's say I'm a bit of a free agent, hovering somewhere between belief and agnosticism. To be quite honest, in the kind of communities that we have around here, I have to be thankful to the people who raised me in contact with religion (particularly my grandmother), you get exposed to a relatively good kind of morals and moral behavior as a child. However, beyond morality and living in peace with the people around you, once I started studying and reading more and more, I just found that religious texts didn't offer any more answers even if you interpret them metaphorically (as one should, since the major texts are all mixtures of legends, allegory and real people/events), and I'm disappointed with the recent hostility between various branches of organized religion. I'd rather not associate myself with anything of that matter, and starting from childhood religious morals, I'd rather find my own answers in some aspects.

My point was that they all trace their roots to Abraham.

Zoroastrianism came from Zarathrushtra. Who was Iranian. Christianity and Islam may have kept a lot of the Abrahamic dogma, but they are not an evolution from that.

I'm an atheist. My parents thought it would be a good idea to shove religion (Catholicism, later Christianity) in my face from a fairly young age, then punished me for not accepting the dogma. They forced me to go to religious schools, which they insisted was the right thing for me. It wasn't. As a result of this, I can get rather militant in my atheism. I try not to bring up religion in discussion, unless someone tries to "convert" me.

My mother I'm sure knows I'm an atheist, she hates me for it. She has no real connection to a church, but she still clings to the idea that atheism is bad.

Last edited:
Today I went to a Christian Funeral at a Benedictine Abbey.

Nice service given by a Monk.

At a family buffet meetup in a Hotel afterwards, had a chance to chat to the Monk, who was invited too.

It is interesting talking to people of faith for me, even though I am an Atheist.

So today I did some religion, which is unusual for me.

:)

My parents are religious, albeit fairly relaxededly (is that even a word?); I wasn't christened but I went to a Church of England primary school, and a sort of religious (although more just full of itself) secondary school. We had a brief prayer in assemblies and we even had an RS department. Crazy, I know.

But alas I turned out atheist. I guess I used to be a bit agnostic, but the realisation that its unlikely you're going to convince me there is a God as its all about belief, and I don't believe there is any form of higher power. Definitely in the clan of 'if you want to believe it, then that's great, but don't you dare try and shove it down my throat'. I celebrate Christmas as a happy gathering of family and if there was a wedding or funeral I would not hesitate in going irrelevant of religion.

As far as the throat-shoving goes, there is only one person I know in person that I would not want to speak to ever again. He's on my course and a 7th Day Remnant. I was in a group with him last year and essentially he had to email some slides to me so I could put the presentation together. Attached to the email along with the slides was an 18 page document entitled '12 Prophesies of Antichrist' which basically outlines why I should join his side. He isn't a very good person to be around and has very quickly segregated himself by simply being too pushy. He lives (away from home for uni) with a family of similar beliefs and his own family are not of the same. Supposedly he was also not religious ~3 years ago, or before his gap year so we reckon he was hypnotised or is delusional and the following base seems to only push him further. Either way no self respecting person would be of the nature he is (not beliefs that is, but just his personality). That kind of person really gets on my nerves and I'm glad I never speak to him incase I 'accidentally' punch him.

Another kind of person I don't like is anyone who would ever say anything against basic human rights, especially gay rights.

One thing I'd like to introduce into the discussion is this: an old school mate of mine posted on her Facebook that she supported (or 'liked', I'm not sure :p) the movement against the redefinition of the term 'marriage' to include homosexual couples (in the UK). Linky to the petition - but essentially it says that through civil partnerships gay couples have the same rights as non-gay couples and changing it would make things worse for straight people. From my opinion this is a horrific pile of crap - discuss. :)

Edit: Oh look not even one page and we've got gay rights involved :lol: I'm sorry. :p

Last edited:
Resident super-Jew here. I've gone to Jewish day school my entire life (pretty much), lived in Israel and I'm double-enrolling at Columbia and the Jewish Theological Seminary. If you've got Jew questions, I'm your man.

I'm Anglican, Church of England as you may have seen me write on't th'odd occasion even though it was probably said in humour. I wasn't Christened as a baby like a lot of others but I was Christened aged 7 in a small Church in Altrincham. Me Godparents were our next-door-but-one neighbours back when I lived in Oldham, an' they've been absolutely fantastic with me whilst I was growing up an' they still are. I did go to the odd CofE school too when I was younger an' got dragged up an' down the country. It was never drilled in to us though. We'd have Assembly once a week for about half an hour or so.

I'm not 100% practising. I don't go to weekly services or anything like that. I wasn't even that convinced growing up the only thing I had remotely "spiritual" or whatever growing up was the knowledge that all the women in me mother's family are slightly wired, meself included in the ways of being a bit clairvoyant. Take that as you will. So even though I was Christened it's a fairly recent thing for me an' me family, me mam's side were from Ireland an' were Catholic. But it all came to a head for me when a good friend of mine Matt died over 5 years ago. I found a bit of comfort in me religion then an' still do whenever I'm feeling a bit depressed. I have always worn a crucifix since I was given one as a gift when I got Christened. I collect them, not just jewellery but I have the odd religious nik-nak kicking about me house. An' for a little bit of madness I have a Buddy Christ on the dash in the Chupathingy. I usually talk to him whenever I'm driving about on me own.

But other than that, I keep it to meself. Put me in a Church for a wedding or whatever an' I'll be joining in with hymns an' all that. Put me in a Cathedral an' I'll start bawling me eyes out. I'm also a firm believer that "Jerusalem" should be England's own National Anthem. But it makes me cry too. I don't call others out for their religion if they have one, an' 'cause of that I don't expect to be given grief for mine even though it may seem a bit hypocritical seeing as I don't go to Sunday Service every week an' that.

My father's side of the family is Catholic. Their Christian names are Joseph and Mary. If you ever bring up religion with my Dad, he will start calling himself Jesus. Although he himself, as a scientist, is an atheist. Apparently my grandparents never pushed their religion on anyone else in the family. My mother's side of the family is traditional Japanese Shinto. It's not a religion, per say, as just a discombobulated collection of fairy tales and superstition. Whenever we visit my Mom's side of the family in Japan, we are obligated to give a welcoming prayer at the house shrine, but I think that's mostly because my Mom likes the smell of the incense. It's weird, I myself am atheist, yet sometimes I like to think my uncle and grandfather, who passed several years ago, are looking out for me somehow. Other stupid things have been ingrained into me, like I can't wear new shoes inside the house until I've put them on outside, I can't buy 4 of anything because 4 is unlucky, my head can't face north when I sleep because that will make me sick, etc. It's dumb, makes no sense, yet I still to this day follow all that stupid superstition.

Ah, This is why I come back to this place time after time. We can have rational discussion of very controversial things without punching each others faces in.

As for the whole religion thing itself, I believe (heh) that I am agnostic/Buddhist in that order, depending on situation. I was brought up as a Buddhist, and while Buddhism itself isn't really a religion as very well described by LP, we (my family on my dad's side) celebrated it's ideals, with the occasional odd visit to the temple and our own shrines in our homes. I do however it's more of a culture thing rather than a religious thing. I've never really followed any religion, which leads me to the whole agnosticism thing. Agnostic because I actually do believe that there may be a higher power, wherever/whatever he/she/it/schle, because to think that there are no powers greater than us in this expansive universe would be to be very close minded.

Religion as a whole... I'm not too sure of it. It's a cause of great many things, good and bad. It's something that people can look up to in times of trouble, and gives those people who partake something to have close by in times of trouble. It has it's place in our culture, but... I'm with many of the others, just don't try to force it on me and we'll be good.