Votes: 44 26.5%
  • Non-Religious

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters
Is Atheism really a theory?

"My theory is that Your theory is wrong."

Hmm... not sure that qualifies, sorry. Now if you want to dive into The Big Bang and The Thoery of Evolution, well, alrighty then. But I don't think you're going to want to use that same argument about the simpler explanation.

Is Atheism really a theory?

"My theory is that Your theory is wrong."

Hmm... not sure that qualifies, sorry. Now if you want to dive into The Big Bang and The Thoery of Evolution, well, alrighty then. But I don't think you're going to want to use that same argument about the simpler explanation.

No, Atheism is a hypothesis. So is Christianity. None can be proven to be true, so none are theories.

And it's quite easy to say "My hypothesis is that your hypothesis is wrong." Because it's just a hypothesis until it's actually proven.
In fact, in proving a hypothesis, and thus attempting to formulate a theory out of it, you must consider the opposite of the hypothesis (that the hypothesis is wrong) as one of the options if you are to prove that your hypothesis holds.

^ Damn you sounded like Spock (spelling?) just then

http://img403.imageshack.**/img403/9234/occamsrazorbu0.jpg
I wouldn't necessarily define Atheism in this manner. There's really multiple sects of Atheists today. The two easiest too identify are the militant Atheists like Richard Dawkins who feel that classical religion (specifically Judeo-Christian) are fables and the meaning of life should be found entirely through scientific understanding, and that Atheists should work to dispel people of their religious beliefs. Then there are Atheists who find Atheism through a disbelief in popular religion, and would rather identify with an alternative explanation that makes more sense. One is a visceral dismissal of religion, one is an alternative belief. There are many ways to arrive at Atheistic beliefs, and many ways to live out Atheism.

Personally, I fall into the second category. I view Atheism as an alternative belief. I can not answer the question "What begat the big bang?" But at the same time, I can't fathom the answer to the alternative Judeo-Christian question "What begat God?" I can't really put to pen what I feel, but I can understand faith in its many forms. I try to learn and understand others faiths in an attempt to challenge and find depth to my own, and am open to possibly finding myself in another faith.

No, Atheism is a hypothesis. So is Christianity. None can be proven to be true, so none are theories.

And it's quite easy to say "My hypothesis is that your hypothesis is wrong." Because it's just a hypothesis until it's actually proven.
In fact, in proving a hypothesis, and thus attempting to formulate a theory out of it, you must consider the opposite of the hypothesis (that the hypothesis is wrong) as one of the options if you are to prove that your hypothesis holds.

Christianity is a belief, not a hypothesis. A hypothesis is a question, a question you're seeking an answer to. Atheism isn't a hypothesis, it's just a statement. I don't believe in the tooth fairy. That's not a hypothesis, nor is it a theory, it's just a statement. And it doesn't matter one bit if I proclaim myself an Antitoothfairiest and try to create a belief system around my stance on the tooth fairy.

Christianity is a belief, not a hypothesis. A hypothesis is a question, a question you're seeking an answer to. Atheism isn't a hypothesis, it's just a statement. I don't believe in the tooth fairy. That's not a hypothesis, nor is it a theory, it's just a statement. And it doesn't matter one bit if I proclaim myself an Antitoothfairiest and try to create a belief system around my stance on the tooth fairy.

The hypothesis is "God exists and he has a son named Jesus". This is what Christianity is based on: belief in that simple statement. If you believe it, you're a christian. If you don't believe it, you aren't. And the statement is a hypothesis, which is basically a belief that something exists or that something behaves in a certain way.

No, a hypothesis is not a question you're seeking an answer to, it's a proposed answer to a question. This proposed explanation need not be based on scientifical fact, mind you. Any suggestion will do. And some, by logic, get refuted. And if there is only one hypothesis that cannot be refuted it becomes a theory. Until it is proven that it is also wrong, and some other hypotheses or theory take its place.

If anything religion is based on many hypotheses. Many attempt to make sense of the world around them in their own way. Many have been refuted, many are far from us being able to research them.

So basically, the belief that what the Bible tells you is true is in itself a hypothesis.

And if there is only one hypothesis that cannot be refuted it becomes a theory. Until it is proven that it is also wrong, and some other hypotheses or theory take its place.

None can be proven to be true, so none are theories.

Nothing is actually proven. Not even theories. That's why they still call them theories.

The only truth is that we don't actually know anything.

Oh ffs, lets not turn this into a conversation about the finite possibilities of reality. "I know not that I exist, as conscious analysis of my senses is delayed and therefore leaves a gap between reality and consciousness."

Just wanted to mention that Jesus never says that he is the son of God rather says he is the son of man.

Empirical agnostic here.

Nothing is actually proven. Not even theories. That's why they still call them theories.

The only truth is that we don't actually know anything.

Sorry, used the wrong words. By "proven" I meant that enough evidence can be found to support it and to disprove other hypotheses such that the theory (former hypothesis) is considered to be not far from the truth.

I'm Ignostic: "I don't know if god exists, and wether or not, it wouldn't make any difference anyway."

2hd75le.jpg

Haha, god sucks.

/waits...
//waits.. waits..
///see: nothing.

I am a proud atheist. I have never done the god thing, especially when it was thrown in my face. That pissed me off even more. If a person wants to believe in god, fine but do it on your own time. Do not try to throw it in my face, because I have my reasons.

I have no problem with that line of thinking. As long as you don't do the same with atheism. I can't stand the pushy atheists who call all religious people idiots for their beliefs. They are just as annoying as pushy preachers.

I have invented my own religion, It is the basic core beliefs of most religions minus the weird shit like burning bushes and can't eat certain stuff.
But I celebrate all the holidays, because my awesome religion believes in parties and candy.