Remote Control Toys

What is the best battery I can get for about $50 or less? This will be for the Rustler.

Also, know of any good deals for a charger? And will I need an adaptor for the battery?

You'll see a massive difference between the Li-Po batteries and the Ni-Mh batteries that are generally used. The discharge rates in the LiPos are significantly better than the NiMhs, and are a great deal lighter as well.

http://www.slkelectronics.com/ecalc/lithium.htm

However, they are a bit harder to keep in good shape (You cannot let the voltage drop below 3.0v, and they have to be charged properly), though with a good charger and good habits they are the best. The Venom you mentioned was around 25 dollars? The LiPo would be a better deal. But if you want something that is just good for running around, either will work.

As for chargers... I have only used one and it was a bit expensive.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ1

It's not cheap, and you need a power supply to go with it, but there are very many settings that allow you to keep your batteries in good shape. You also have to have a charger that supports the type of battery you're using, so the NiMhs are a better choice if you don't already have a charger that supports all kinds of batteries, as nearly all chargers now can charge the NiMh but only some can charge the LiPo. Timed chargers are generally cheapest, so if you want a cheap one, then those would work fine, but pretty much all f them are getting cheaper. Wall chargers take forever to charge though, but I think you already know that.

Most batteries nowadays come with a white standard plug, which is called the Tamiya style plug, but there are a few others. The Stampede uses a different kind of plug, so you might have to get an adapter or solder on some other leads to the charger.

Yeah... I've been in this hobby since I was 9, and first got an RC car from my uncle. It was a 10th scale Tamiya buggy.. lol. I've learned a lot about this particular hobby... and it's expensive. Just spent $500 something on parts...

^^^ Thanks for the advice and info man. Very good stuff :)

I'm probably going to have to get a Ni-Mh for now to start with since I'm kind of on a tight budget, unless you know of a really good deal on a LiPo? I'll be sure to get a charger that can handle both types so I can always upgrade to LiPo later.

That's a good plan. LiPo is awesome, but unless you find yourself really getting into the hobby, NiMH does well enough for most.

Holy crap that is cheap.

Now I'm wondering if I should get the Slash instead of the Rustler (both would have the brushless motor) :hmm:

Yeah, that LiPo pack I showed is I think the cheapest one I found while searching for one. I already have a charger that can maintain them, so it was a really good investment for me.

As for the Rustler versus the Slash, functionally they are similar. The Slash chassis is basically a lengthened Stampede, where the Stampede is a bigger Rustler. The longer chassis will help with stability, and it just looks better. Mind you, it isn't a standard size RC, it's a good deal bigger than 10th scale.

As for the Rustler versus the Slash, functionally they are similar. The Slash chassis is basically a lengthened Stampede, where the Stampede is a bigger Rustler. The longer chassis will help with stability, and it just looks better. Mind you, it isn't a standard size RC, it's a good deal bigger than 10th scale.

So you would go with the Slash?

Go by your local hobby shop. And be prepared for standard "OMG ITS WOMANZ" reaction. But the actual staff will be helpful and informative.

Oh I've been in hobby stores before and had that reaction already, so funny :lol:

Gotta check my finances and see if I can get one :| Yes they might be cheap but trip money > play money.

Oh I've been in hobby stores before and had that reaction already, so funny :lol:

Gotta check my finances and see if I can get one :| Yes they might be cheap but trip money > play money.

The models I'm looking at are about $300 :D

Yes but I'm guessing those are higher end models instead your bottom end versions of r/c cars o_O I hope..

Yes but I'm guessing those are higher end models instead your bottom end versions of r/c cars o_O I hope..

You want to go fast though, right? ;)

I'll be good with a base model that won't be pricey to repair should repairing/replacing be necessary :lol:

Yeah, personally I would go for the slash. Simply because it looks so much better. But it just all depends on what you would want to do.

And $300 isn't a lot... I just spent $170 on just a radio alone.. lol.

I mainly want a good all arounder. Something good for both on and off road, and some jumping too :D I like that the Slash is 4WD, but I'm wondering if it will be as good off road as the rustler....

Mind you, it isn't a standard size RC, it's a good deal bigger than 10th scale.

Actually the new Slash VXL is 1/16th scale:

5805-7005_comparison-layer_TH.jpg

Full info:
http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/slash7008/trx_slash7008.htm

Last edited:
The Slash is pretty good on gravel surface but if you are going to be driving it on tarmac I would suggest to stiffen up the suspension. The regular shock absorber oil that the Slash has as standard is way too soft to be used on tarmac. If you try to take a corner at any decent sort of speed the car is almost certainly going to roll.

Oh, and you should propably change tires as well if you're going brushless. The standard tires grip pretty good if you use standard motor but if you fit it with a more powerful one the tires spin endessly and this just throws away all the motors power. Or at least that's the case with my own Slash :)

Oh, and you should propably change tires as well if you're going brushless. The standard tires grip pretty good if you use standard motor but if you fit it with a more powerful one the tires spin endessly and this just throws away all the motors power. Or at least that's the case with my own Slash :)

I'm looking at the Slash VXL which comes with the brushless motor out of the box :)

Last edited:
Oh, then they should be ok :mrgreen:

I think the Rustler is a very good option. It's really easy to drive and can be used on almost any surface without modifications. A friend of mine has had one of those for nearly three years and the only thing he has ever managed to break is the right side camber block which broke at around 40 mph crash to a pine tree :).

Last edited:
But I don't know if I like the small 1/16th size of the Slash VXL. I might go with the Rustler since it's bigger and doesn't seem to bounce around as much over rough terrain. It's so hard to decide, heh.

Oh I thought you were talking about the full size slash, which is why I said it's the same as a Stampede. :)

The 16th scale is based on the Revo, a very good chassis.