• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Removing stuck oil filter..

It was a shitbox work van that filter came off of, boss was half drunk from working a full day Saturday and buying said shitbox that blew an oil cooler line during the test drive and it was late in the afternoon when this took place.

Doing things right was thrown out the window.

Personally I like the metal strap ones.
I can't word that without sounding like a pervert.

1985 GMC S15 V6 OIL FILTER

1985 GMC S15 V6 OIL FILTER

One thing is for sure, either the engineers (and I am being kind) do not have a brain or they intentionally frustrate the oil filter replacement on so many cars. I think it is intentional. Oil filtration definitely extends the life of the engine. The filter on my gimmy is so inaccessible, only a child's hand could possible fit in to change the filter or you would have to remove the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold. What a nightmare. So what happened? The filter was probably never changed because it would not budge. And for my next feat of magic, I will torch the engine and melt the rubber gasket. My Mercedes had a canister filter that had to be worked around a dirty engine block to get it in place so the entire lot of whoever designs these engines is completely and absurdly evil. Oh sure, design an engine that will go 500 K but put the oil filter where the sun don't shine. Brilliant.

Chain wrench is another option
Chain_Wrench_3C.jpg

With troublesome oil filters I've always just used a big pair of pliers, grabbed tight, and twisted. Grab close to the base and it won't even do very much damage to it.

Like this:

Of course, this is when working on cars that haven't been previously worked on by myself. I always only attach my oil filters hand tight. They don't leak and they're easy to remove again.

Use K&N filters. They have a socket fitting on the bottom that makes installation and removal trivial, even if they're over-tightened.

As to removing it, I find belt wrenches work best (which is like a chain wrench only with a rubber belt). If you've deformed the can, you can try shoving a screwdriver through it and spinning it off. This has become less and less effective though as filters have become thinner and thinner.

If you've completely destroyed the canister, you'll have to rip the metal off the end flange, and then tap the flange off with a punch via one of the outflow holes. Been there, done that.