Removing stuck oil filter..

6178644.JPG

Yes, you slip it over the oil filter and then you pull the handle in the opposite direction of it's resting position.
When you do this the ring will constrict and grip the oil filter because of the hinge mechanism at the bottom of the handle.

I don't like the regular ones... sucks for cars like the civic... where the filter is not easily accessible, and not lot of room to maneuver the wrench.

I don't like the regular ones... sucks for cars like the civic... where the filter is not easily accessible, and not lot of room to maneuver the wrench.
I can sympathize with you; the filter on my integra is a PITA as well:(

I can sympathize with you; the filter on my integra is a PITA as well:(
Ah I love my Disco! I don't even have to jack it up to change the oil.:tease:

That filter wrench looks pretty sweet. I'll have to try one sometime. I love tools that look like medieval torture devices.

:blink: Note to self... stay away from Troy, Ohio. :p
:lmao: Good advice really, I wish I could follow it myself. A whole bunch of nothing but stores and restaurants. I've got to keep myself entertained somehow, why not evil looking tools? :D

Did you get it off yet? I was having issues getting the one off my R6 a few months ago...goddamn Yamaha techs put it on way too tight from the first service...the problem with bikes is that the oil drain plugs and filters are usually steel, whereas the pan is aluminum, making it super easy to strip, so I couldn't overtorque it. Couldn't find a proper filter wrench to get it off...so I got a bigass adjustable wrench, clamped down hard on the (metal) filter so it kind of deformed, with flat sides, and gently twisted it off. Might work for you, if you're going at the filter from under the car...I hear that's the best way to get the filter off in the Supra.

Not sure what filter you got, but stay away from Fram.

Edit: before you put the new filter on, make sure to put a little bit of oil around the seal...makes for a tighter seal, and easier removal.

It's a TRD filter, so more towards the expensive end, and yeah ~6 months i oiled up around the seal but i guess i just put it on too tight. Like i said the last time was ok (my first time servicing the car), i couldnt get it first time with bare hands, but just used a cloth in my hands and it came right off no problems.

I'm waiting on my filter wrench being delivered (im out at 6am and in at 8pm from work so that rules out having time to swing by a shop on foot).

It's not a supra though. Access isn't that bad actually, it's just not budging. I'll see how the wrench goes :)

Aaand this saga has been brought to an end. Before my wrench arrived even.

Just put a screwdriver on the lip and tapped in the direction i wanted it to turn. It just unstuck it enough so i could take it off my hand.

Needless to say the new one isn't on so tight ;)

Thanks for your help everyone. No more train to work for me (phew)

Silicon pad did the trick.

Silicon pad did the trick.

I used a 4 inch by 6 inch silicon pad that I keep on the console of my vehicle to hold my phone while I'm driving to get great grip and leverage to unscrew my stuck oil filter. Still required muscle, but the additional grip strength did the trick. A silicon kitchen jar opener would work the same way.

I have 3 different type is filter wrenches. The "standard" one that kind of looks like a hose clamp (see farther up this thread), a pair of slip-joint clamping grips (crushed the hell outta a really stuck filter) and one that slips over the end of the filter.

I use the 3rd one a lot. It slides over the top of the filter and has a "nipple" on top that I pop a socket wrench into. It's awesome for those engines where you've go NO room to get your hand to even touch the filter, let alone grab it to turn it off.

I never over-tighten filters but here, especially in the winter, you get so much road salt that it seems like the thing is welded to the engine.

Why did this old thread get dug up?

Clearly the proper procedure was not covered. Hammer a nail through the fuel filter then use it as leverage to twist it out. :p

Or use a torch to heat it up. :p

Take out engine, put oilfilter in vice, turn engine, done, if not, use hammer.

Why did this old thread get dug up?

New members have this knack to digging up old threads. Presumably they find the site through a search engine.

Hammer a screwdriver into it... a knackered screwdriver.

That's the way I'd do it if I had to. I have the luxury of a canister type oil filter with a paper element. ^_^

Edit: 7,777. woo.

I tried the screwdriver trick and I ended up tearing the oil filter.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/ct/ctn91/2011/08/08/27739_429165808652_503553652_5481689_3027977_n.jpg

Last edited:
Or you could do it right and just get a cap wrench if one will fit.

jim1769.JPG

Or you could do it right and just get a cap wrench if one will fit.

jim1769.JPG

Assuming the previous owner didn't install a smooth sided filter.

Hence 'if one will fit' - however, most recent filters have the flats on the end for a cap wrench. It's pretty hard to find a straight-up smooth filter any more. Which should in turn tell you how old it is.