News: Renault 4 EVER Design Contest

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
Drawing from his early experiences of the renault 4, 'revival of a childhood impression' is a redesign concept by italian designer David Obendorfer.
the proposal maintains the classic model's spirit of simplicity and functionality, but adds modern updates to its body and interior, such as LCD information systems as well as options for hybrid or electric power. the concept is one of fifty projects shortlisted from over 3200 submissions from 92 countries in designboom's recent RENAULT 4 EVER competition, which asked participants to redesign the renault 4 with an eye towards historical lineage, contemporary aesthetics, and sustainable design.

The designer explains:
'I have explored the nature of this model's surfaces and tried to capture the proportions that give it a strong personality. such features are the r4's
long wheelbase, quite short front overhang, car body with a typical forward-facing incline, different front and back fenders, front headlights
close to each other, straight rear hatch, etc. of course it has been necessary to update the vehicle volumes respecting--among other things--
the standard for pedestrians' protection and the current requirements of safety and comfort in general.'

The dashboard maintains the original's minimalist approach: instead of a conventional instrument panel there are two LCD monitors, one for the main information panel as well as a central screen for navigation. both fold down into a hidden view when the engine is turned off.

Renault is proud of the results of the RENAULT 4 EVER competition and extends sincere thanks to all of its participants.
Tthe jury has still not made its final decision on the winning entry, but the results will be published to designboom at the end of july.

obendorfer-01.jpg

obendorfer-06.jpg

obendorfer-02.jpg

obendorfer-12.jpg

obendorfer-04.jpg

obendorfer-07.jpg

obendorfer-08.jpg

obendorfer-09.jpg

obendorfer-10.jpg

obendorfer-11.jpg

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/13543/renault-4-ever.html

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/ca...ression-renault-4-ever-shortlisted-entry.html

:cool:

Not bad, but I'd prefer a cleaner rear pillar solution

not really that keen on the front, but i like the general design!

Could work...

With the new Mini and Fiat 500 being so successful its only a matter of time before others give it a try.

I actually really like this design, although the front end is a lot more reminiscent of the original Twingo than the R4.

I don't mind that at all.

Reactions: MWF
That looks very cool. Certainly something a bit different to the usual hatchback designs if it ever makes production.

It reminds me of a Studebaker Avanti... Looks quite funky to me and that dash mounted shifter looks epic.

Not bad, not bad at all.

At least it hasn't gone the soulless and dull route of most cars, look at the new Jags, they aren't ugly and they look modern but are also a bit "meh". I just wonder if it would be a true successor as a cheap family car rather than another lifestyle accessory car in the vein of the Beetle, Mini and 500 etc...

Meh...

we need this instead!
*snip*

Oh yes!!

Fun fact! When i grew up my mom had a R4 and a R5 with a dash mounted shifter!

Last edited:
I just wonder if it would be a true successor as a cheap family car rather than another lifestyle accessory car in the vein of the Beetle, Mini and 500 etc...

Of course it will be another lifestyle accessory car. The true successors to the 500 and Beetle already existed before the retro reheats came out, being the Panda and the Golf respectively. The R4's true successor is the Clio or Megane. While not tres-cheap, both are honest family cars, which are designed to fulfil the duties of a car. These retro things put form over function, and that alone means they are not true spiritual successors to the originals, which were all ruthlessly function over form.

The R4's true successor is the Clio or Megane. While not tres-cheap, both are honest family cars, which are designed to fulfil the duties of a car.

The Kangoo comes to mind as well.