• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Rental 911 around the Nurburgring

Overheat

Forum Addict
rental-nurburgring-sign.jpg
rental-track-writing-r.jpg

I get asked: "What's the fastest car you've ever driven?" on a regular basis. My standard, and now very threadbare, answer is: "a hire car", a sentiment shared by a fair number of you, I'm sure.

Hire cars come in several flavours - brand-new, run-in, tired and thoroughly dog-eared - but they all have one thing in common though; they belong to someone else. Let's face it, this one crucial detail means more in terms of driving pleasure than all the limited-slip differentials and variable valve-timing a car can muster. So long as you don't bend it or completely whittle the tires down to the armatures, you can just walk away with a knowing smile.

Read more here:
http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature/features-2005/mental-rental-911/index.html

...the ads on that site are really, really, really annoying...

rental cars are great. i know a couple of guys that rent mustangs and camaros for track days. they will go through a couple sets of brake pads throwing it around the track for 3 days, but as long as the tires arent bald when they give it back, and the body doesnt appear damaged, its a great option and allows for more ball-sy driving.

The last time I went to Hawaii we rented a Chevy Malibu from a scummy-looking small rental company 3 miles from the airport, underneath a bunch of highway overpasses. I was just milling about, bored out of my mind, in the midst of Grand Am's and Trailblazers, when I go around to the back of the office and am greeted by...

...a 2001 Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0 SE, red as fire, brand new, just sitting there.

Possibly the most exciting thing to ever happen at/to a rental car company in America.

Naturally, I begged my parents to rent it, and naturally they laughed as they threw their bags into the back of the Malibu. :cry:

A rental rear engine 300+ hp car.........not so sure they thought this one through. :p

hehe, I feel for you blaro, I have that dreaded piece of shit, the chevy malibu/classic
could it be more plasticy!?

Fantastic, this means I can do what I wanted on the ring. I am allowed to take a Porsche to Germany, but then not to take it on the ring, in case I smashed it, but now I can use a rental. Cool. Thanks Overheat, you are the greatest. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Now, just got to get some time off university and go on my pilgrimage to.....the Ring. :)

And that's the last anybody ever heard from TGG.

Didn't bother to read the article, since I'm off to bed, but rental cars in Germany are only for road use, which means they aren't insured on the ring... This could mean disaster and working 10 years paying off to a german car rental... Just to remind you...

Buba

And isn't Nordschleife a normal one-way road with no speed limit? Unless they specificly mention this, insurance should cover it I think.

^ The 'ring is a public toll road, but some rental companies specifically exclude it from their insurance policies.

BlaRo said:
And that's the last anybody ever heard from TGG.
:lmao: :lmao:

MXM said:
And isn't Nordschleife a normal one-way road with no speed limit? Unless they specificly mention this, insurance should cover it I think.

I saw documentaries about a couple of guys who lend high performance cars to people, and all of them said "no ring..."

But hey, maybe you find a rental company stupid enough to you a good car without doubling the rental fee... Just drop me a line, I would be in then as well ;-)

Buba said:
MXM said:

I saw documentaries about a couple of guys who lend high performance cars to people, and all of them said "no ring..."

But hey, maybe you find a rental company stupid enough to you a good car without doubling the rental fee... Just drop me a line, I would be in then as well ;-)

the 'ring is great, and if i was there, i would definitely drive it, but being able to do 150 mph+ on the autobahn is enough reason to rent the 911 in my book.

sure i can do it in the states, just not legally...

^ That's not a problem anymore ;)

Although you can get new 911 for a test drive anyway, with enough persuation skills :)

I would like to take 356 for a spin, I remember someone mentioned here that it's possible to rent one in Germany.

Adds to list of things to do with life...