Rental Car Roulette

Reserved a compact car with National in NYC. They let me choose anything in the Emerald Club section. The options were 2 Sentras, a Malibu, a Veras, an Impala and this (my choice)

VRpqVMa.jpg

fkuRxOg.jpg

Coming from a bit larger sized XJ, what did you think about it re size, parking, etc?

I sat in a Trail Hawk and thought the interior was claustrophobic. While i'm admittedly a big guy, I'm not super tall or anything. I also feel like the view out the front is constricted by the flat hood compared to the slightly sloped Cherokee hood.

My old boss wanted to switch to those after the Patriot went out of production. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I just think that by now, VW's are reliable enough to last 4 years or 120-130,000 miles and we'd go back to them.

It's pretty small man, not sure how much space your gear takes up, I guess you could fold down the rear seats though. The new Tiguan comes with a 6 year/72k warranty. Dunno if it applies to fleets though + the new Tiguan apparently isn't close to being as fuel efficient as a CR-V 1.5T, even with the new Budack cycle engine.

Fianc?e needed a rental for a trip shes on. Got her a compact from Enterprise. She just called me saying that they're offering her a Chevy Sonic or a Chevy Spark. This sizing is getting absurd. You can make some argument that a Sonic is a compact, but a Spark? Not in any conceivable reality can you call a Spark anything more than an economy car. I think I'm going to change all our future reservations to National. At least with Emerald Club theres a chance of getting something that's actually the size you paid for.

Last edited:
The only time Enterprise has given me a car that wasn't really in the size category that I booked was when I booked a premium car and gave me a Camaro. I didn't complain, though.

Rental Car Roulette

Last week I was booked a standard car (Buick Verano or similar). They gave me the option of dodge caravan, Nissan Versa, or Dodge Charger R/T. You already know from the automotive random thoughts thread what I chose.

It?s been a while since I?ve rented with enterprise and now I remember why I don?t. I always decline everything. Quit asking. How is that not something I can note in my Enterprise account?

Chrysler finally got their act together in electronic throttle response. I hardly noticed lag.

370HP is enough, the 8-speed auto?s Gear changes are smooth in normal mode and will make the exhaust bark in sport mode. It does burnouts, drives fast while feeling completely in control. Ride quality is good with little to no squeaks or creaks even with 30,000 rental car miles. The seats were hard-ish but supportive enough that my 1.5 hour each way drive from the airport wasn?t a pain in the ass. Radio?s speaker quality is excellent even with the settings in a neutral state, you?ll need to bump the high end a bit but, that?s all. Since this stretch of I29 is empty, I left it in cruise at 75mph for most of the drive. 4cylinder mode is noisy, it?s manageable though. I noticed that, despite the road not changing (hills) the car would switch between 4 cylinder and full 8 mode. I imagine it?s trying to keep even wear throughout and remove any possible building of junk.

Definitely looking at these as a replacement to the mustang. Even though I really want to continue with a stick.

Last edited:
Is near the sword looking thing?

Why would you get a plugin C-max?

Mac has started something. All of Germany will fall for American V8s! Muhahahaha!

That fails because while the rental agent did indeed give me a V8, the guy in the lot took it away again "is not available" :shakefist:

The V6 is... Okay?
The gearbox is dim-witted. When you engage D it's confused about what your intentions might be for a few seconds.
The windows don't return to up automatically after opening the roof.
The roof has a manual lock.
The boot has nothing to close it, making your hands dirty.
The A-pillar is swept far back, killing some convertible feel and making you bang your shoulder on exit.
The Cc buttons are stupid.
The bongs are driving you mad.

Yeah... Not gonna happen as a daily. Still nice for a week though, even here people come up to you "nice car, man!"

Last edited:
The bongs are driving you mad.

Put your seat belt on before starting the car. Fords ?doo-dah-doo? is infuriating to listen to.

Put your seat belt on before starting the car. Fords ?doo-dah-doo? is infuriating to listen to.

I'd be fine with a bong for seat belt when you start the car, but it bongs when you turn on the ignition... Say, to open the roof.

Didn't have any rain, yet the car is dirty :yucky: air pollution ftl. Killed some long distance views as well :shakefist:

Ih7O8Vh.jpg