Rental Mustang: is this a great deal?!

Note that rental companies are NOTORIOUS for not being completely upfront with their pricing. Most will not list the airport concession fee (often ~10%), none will list with tax (another 6-7%+), most will require some sort of token liability coverage (even if you have coverage through other means), and every once in awhile you're required to pay a deposit (uhhh). Figure on adding 25% to the bill through various pieces of insanity like that.

As far as road trip cars go, I just got out of a V6 Challenger. Big, comfortableish, and quick enough to get into trouble (but not quick enough to do donuts without rain)

I quite liked the challenger when I had one as well.

I've been using carrentals.com which seems to do a decent job with pricing.

I'm a mustang owner, and I drive like a twat.
(Mostly joking)

That being said, I really like the pony. Even the V6s are pretty quick cars these days. Mine's mostly a base model (Got tech pack and performance options only). It's got bluetooth audio, phone, voice control (which doesn't work for shit), cruise, wheel-mounted controls, etc. I'm guessing the rentals will come with the same pack, even if not they all have an aux hookup for your phone anyway.

I consider the back seats to be "surprisingly usable".

The trunk, while it has a small opening, is rather capacious.

I only get 22-24mpg highway, but the V6 should get 31-34.

I rented a '14 mustang v6 last winter. It had Bluetooth and steering wheel controls and voice control but, that's about it.

I find the newer Mustangs adequately comfortable on long drives, if I were to nitpick I would say the level of road noise can be a tad bothersome with the factory Pirelli PZeros but you can just turn up the music like I do (after all that's what you're supposed to do on cross-country drives). :)

:mrgreen: How do Mustang drivers drive and how do they get treated on the high way? I imagine it's a common car so basically like any other car you see on the road maybe?

It might as well be a Camry. Extremely common and they don't even get a second look most of the time.

Some police officers use them too. along the 80/90 toll road, in Indiana you'll spot them in the median or on the side of the road with heavily tinted windows.

I'm guessing the rentals will come with the same pack, even if not they all have an aux hookup

I'm sorry what? AUX isn't standard in any car from 2014?

I rented a '14 mustang v6 last winter. It had Bluetooth and steering wheel controls and voice control but, that's about it.

As long as this has either in AUX port or Bluetooth so that I can play music from my iPhone I don't really need anything else than AC and a back lumbar support for long those drives.

I find the newer Mustangs adequately comfortable on long drives, if I were to nitpick I would say the level of road noise can be a tad bothersome with the factory Pirelli PZeros but you can just turn up the music like I do (after all that's what you're supposed to do on cross-country drives). :)

As a BMW and former Merc owner, I have a high standard when it comes to modest road noise. That was also one of the great things about letting go of my Porsche, those low profile tires, 19'' and enigne 10 cm from you back ear...

It might as well be a Camry. Extremely common and they don't even get a second look most of the time.

So I guess that's a good thing for me :)

What does a CTS cost in comparison?

I'm sorry what? AUX isn't standard in any car from 2014?

As long as this has either in AUX port or Bluetooth so that I can play music from my iPhone I don't really need anything else than AC and a back lumbar support for long those drives.

Yeah, Aux is standard. I don't remember the location but, I'm pretty sure it's inside the arm rest compartment. Along with a USB port. I believe that means you don't need to use the aux jack for playing music since it will go through the usb cable.

What does a CTS cost in comparison?

I didn't see the CTS as an option in their fleet.

Yeah, Aux is standard. I don't remember the location but, I'm pretty sure it's inside the arm rest compartment. Along with a USB port. I believe that means you don't need to use the aux jack for playing music since it will go through the usb cable.

Phew .... USB port is actually very nice, as I just picked up on of these - which means (combined with low data traffic costs) I can use Google Maps on my iPhone as a GPS Navigation without it draining my phone :)

Just booked my Stang :mrgreen:

Last edited:
What is this mykey you speak of?
Its basically Ford's idea of a parental lock. Think you're kid drives too fast? You can artificially impose a speed limit to prevent the vehicle from going any faster.

Its basically Ford's idea of a parental lock. Think you're kid drives too fast? You can artificially impose a speed limit to prevent the vehicle from going any faster.
If that's your problem, you shouldn't buy him a Mustang (or anything fast really) in the first place.

you shouldn't buy him a car in the first place.

Ftfy. That's my thinking. Make your kid realize the value of what your mode of transportation costs and not take it for granted.

If that's your problem, you shouldn't buy him a Mustang (or anything fast really) in the first place.
Its a feature on every Ford vehicles at least in North America since 2010...so even a Fiesta can be speed limited by it.

Its a feature on every Ford vehicles at least in North America since 2010...so even a Fiesta can be speed limited by it.

I've seen this particular feature used offensively by rental agencies. My boss was stuck in a Lincoln that wouldn't let him exceed 65.

If my Stang is restricted with this feature I'm getting something else...

The '13 Mustang I rented with Avis wasn't limited in anyway. I hit 90 a few times...

The '13 Mustang I rented with Avis wasn't limited in anyway. I hit 90 a few times...

Sometimes its not actually the rental company that does it. In our case we don't actually do anything with Ford MyKey but some Ford dealers might do it by default and the rental company doesn't bother changing it. To deactivate MyKey you will need the master key...but that's usually kept by the rental company. 65 is definitely pretty low, I recall the lowest setting I've seen on one of our vehicles was 120 km/h or 75 mph.

As for whether the vehicle has been locked by MyKey, unfortunately the warning usually pops up as you get near the actual set limit and thus say for example "MyKey Speed Limited to 80 mph".

Last edited: