Report: 2011 Audi R8 GT priced from $198,000

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Seems awesome, but I'm not sure the extra $50k is worth the jump in horsepower + loss in weight. Sure it will be faster, but I get the feeling it'll be like when TG reviewed the GT3RS, Gallardo Superleggera and Aston Martin N24. Sure the lighter cars were faster, but are they worth the extra coin?

I guess if money were no option I would get it. But you could use that extra ~$50k to buy a dedicated track car, a 5-series/A6/E-class for the wife, a less expensive toy (like an M3), etc...

Source: Inside Line via Autoblog

Only 333 will be produced, so if you want a 2011 Audi R8 GT you'd better act fast. In fact, only a third of that number are slated to hit US soil. Audi has announced pricing for the R8 GT, and the limited-production sports coupe will cost you $198,000.

The most super of the R8 supercar family, the R8 GT drops weight and adds power. Audi has managed to shed 220 pounds from the standard R8 while pushing the output of the 5.2-liter V10 engine up from 525 to 560 horsepower. The car will only be offered with the single-clutch R-Tronic semi-automatic transmission. It's a shame we won't see an R8 GT fitted with the six-speed manual gearbox, but it's nice to see hi-po versions of popular cars arriving on our shores.

The Audi R8 GT is slated to hit dealer showrooms next summer.

01audir8gtparis2010.jpg

02audir8gtparis2010.jpg

03audir8gtparis2010.jpg

04audir8gtparis2010.jpg

05audir8gtparis2010.jpg

06audir8gtparis2010.jpg

Full Gallery: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/paris-2010-audi-r8-gt/full/#3426238

definatley looks good, but i dont know, i could do without the trinkety bits.... the standard R8 looks svelte and glorious as it is. id be tempted to just get the spyder, with that matte white and drive endlessly through tunnels.

the extra agro this car has, doesnt add to the beauty of the standard car. its a bit more vulgartronic.

and yeah for the extra 50k, id get me a bright orange focus ST with the mountune kit and a second hand citroen C6 to waft about in (or drive over the roughest roads just to see how good the hydragas is)

Last edited:
It is a small production run. That is all its buyers will want.

This is what the V10 should have always been.

These kinds of cars are for people who don't really think about price vs reward the way you and I do. They think in terms, "is this the fastest R8 I can have?"

I never liked the R8. Untill I put my ass in it last Jamuary at Montr?al Auto Show. It is the first Supercar that have a realistic daily driving driving position. The interior, like every Audi, is fantastic. They now just have to paint all the body the same colour... A couple of weeks ago, I was followong one in small streets. We both enter the motorway... I tried to follow the R8. At that time, I had my Mini... In a second, I just saw a silver point some kilometers away. And that sound !

Still like the 4.2 best and even if money were no object that's what I'd buy.

Yay, another slightly tweaked supercar variant for TG to waste time reviewing.

I wish it was closer to this:

audi-r8-gt3-2010-profile-main.jpg

You mean you wish your front bumper got ripped off every time you drove over a small pebble? No thanks.

If you can afford that car, you can afford another, less track ready variant for daily driving.

Only 198k? Not in Australia, a R8 V10 is already pushing past $350k

We should move to the US.

I'll take a secondhand 599 GTB thank you very much.

Am I the only one who would rather buy a used Gallardo over this? Even with the boost in hp...

Maybe, but I bet there are lots of cars that would be bought before either.