Autoblog: REPORT: BMW to release 3 Series hatch similar to 5 Series GT

It is for people who like the practicallity of the station wagon, but are ashamed of the label and its connotations.

Tell me that this is boring:
volvo_850_btcc.jpg

Stop it BMW, just stop it. Quit inventing new, non-existent market niches to plug with hideous, pointless monstrosities (yes, I'm looking at you X6).

Dominating the world, one pointless niche at a time...

Whilst the forum fans complain about the brand's past being diluted and them building pointless cars and "Oh why oh why can't every new BMW be a E24", sales continue to climb*. It's pretty hard for a car manufacturer to ignore that, and build some retromobile for people that will more than likely never buy it.

*GFC notwithstanding.

The car looks better than the 5-series GT, much better. But please, please, please, change that horrible boot-lid.

Apart from that... I hate BMW building a car for every niche. Wouldn't it be much better if they sold discount versions of their old models instead of building these things?

Oh... I forgot... "exclusivity"...

(which is: buy this car, no one else would have it except you, because the standard 3 (or 5) series is better looking and with enough room already.).

Are wagons that uncool these days?

I would seriously rock a 3 series wagon or 5 series wagon over the GT.

*shrug*
Naturally they'll keep making both 3 and 5-series Touring models as well. But the Touring is a bit large for many while the sedans are a bit small.

Naturally they'll keep making both 3 and 5-series Touring models as well. But the Touring is a bit large for many while the sedans are a bit small.

There is just one problem: the 5-series GT is longer, wider, taller and heavier than the Touring. And at the same time it has less interior space. Now how does that make sense ?

And whoever said hatchbacks are cool and estates aren't....first of all I disagree, but the biggest issue here is that these BMW monstrosities are not hatchbacks....they are trying to be hatchbacks, estates, SUVs, executive saloons and sports cars, all at the same time.

There just isn't a point to these cars, or the X6. There are much better cars in every possible meaning of the word already in the BMW range. Why would you want a 5- series GT ?? Why would you want something which is bigger and heavier so it uses more fuel and is more difficult to park, has less space inside, so you will run out of storage space, uglier so your children will have nightmares of it eating their heads.....and for all this you want to pay MORE than what a 5-series Touring costs ??

It. Does. Not. Make. Sense.

It's a completely pointless, idiotic niche car for morons who have the mental capacity of a watermelon.

Last edited:
BMW tends to make a lot of cars that don't make any sense. Even so, there's always someone who buys such cars. Why? Because there's a nice little badge on the hood.

BMW%2Bshit.jpg

Oh for crying out loud, the picture above is the 5er GT! and while yes it is monstrously ugly go whine about it in its own thread!

What now ?? The car pictured IS the 5-series GT, your post doesn't make any sense. Or am I missing something here ?

No. You're not missing anything. It's my fault. I haven't looked at the car nor at the article carefully enough.

But it looked far uglier in the non-photoshopped pictures. Is the car getting better or is me getting too used to it?

Maybe it'll be more reminiscent of the 318? One can only hope.

Maybe it'll be more reminiscent of the 318? One can only hope.

That could go either way. We don't need another one of these:
BMW318ti_2001.jpg

Well i'd prefer that over something that looks like the 5er GT concept

It's the lesser of two evils. Something that looks the 318 is at least bearable to look at. Something that ends up looking like that GT concept... well there's certain things you just can't un-see.