Autoblog: REPORT: BMW to release 3 Series hatch similar to 5 Series GT

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
gt535i_fd006.jpg

Dan Roth said:
Wagons are apparently so outre that we're now seeing mish-mash vehicles like crossovers hiding the truth that, at their core, they're just wagons. BMW is no stranger to this ? witness the recent 5 Series GT. Looking to build on the Grand Turismo variants of its wares, BMW is reportedly developing a 3 Series GT, expected to launch for 2011. The details haven't changed since the last time we posted about this vehicle, but BMW is nodding its corporate head that ja, there will be such a car.

The 335 Grand Turismo will bridge the gap between the 3 and 5 Series cars, a narrow one at that. The tailgate should be a two-position affair, like the 5er, and it's possible that four- and five-place configurations may be offered. If it happens, diesel and gasoline engines are expected, though any M3 version is probably not going to happen. Why this might be any more successful against such competition as the Audi A4 Avant than would a traditional 3 Series wagon is a mystery, but maybe BMW has struck on the magic formula that makes ungainly cars a hot commodity.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/25/report-bmw-to-release-3-series-hatch-similar-to-5-series-gt/

http://img182.imageshack.**/img182/7710/noooo1.jpg

Why not? It's got about as much bootspace as 90% of all the people really need, the same rear legroom as a 7 Series (the long version that is) all in the package of a 5 Series? Move with the times people, don't get held up by the everything-new-is-crap people.

Cherish the old and accept the new I say.

It's about a 3-series version of the 5er GT. The picture is just to remind people of what BMW makes today

The picture is just to remind people of what BMW makes today

That's what my post is referring to. Since there are no spyshots or anything of the new 3er GT there's really nothing to discuss except OH NOEZ BMW HAZ LOST ITS SOUL!!11

Makes a bit more sense scaled down to me. A modernized 2002 touring if you will.

Last edited:
I'd seriously consider a 3-series shooting brake.

looks pretty fugly, to be honest.

Excellent! BMW needs more hatches.

Are wagons that uncool these days?

I would seriously rock a 3 series wagon or 5 series wagon over the GT.

Subaru_Legacy_STI_S_402.jpg

*shrug*

Gentleman, grab your torches and your pitchforks, we're paying BMW a little visit

There's nothing wrong with the idea. Whether BMW can pull it off is a different question, but with the new Z4 as evidence, it's hard to tell whether or not they look good until you see them in the flesh.

Is it just me, or does that trunk still look incredibly tiny?

Stop it BMW, just stop it. Quit inventing new, non-existent market niches to plug with hideous, pointless monstrosities (yes, I'm looking at you X6).