Report: McLaren Automotive to introduce a new product every year

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Ladies and Gentlemen, start saving now.

While some might see it as a dilution of the brand, I think they'll be able to manage it while still producing great cars. Their new halo car could maybe be a closer successor to the still great F1. Mmmmm, I'm salivating at the thought of a Le Man edition of the halo car in that same Papaya Orange.
:drool:

Also, a KERS that powerful in a road car would be some serious winning.

Introducing a new vehicle every year is perfectly normal for a Formula 1 team like McLaren, which brings a new grand prix racer to the grid for every championship. Less so for an automaker that offers only one model range, but according to reports, McLaren Automotive plans to bring a new product to market each year moving forward.

Following up on past offerings like the legendary McLaren F1 and the SLR jointly developed with Mercedes-Benz, the new MP4-12C is the first offering from the new McLaren Automotive. But it won't be the last. It's already introduced a GT3 racing variant of the MP4, and is reportedly in the process of developing a roadster variant, as well. Beyond that, reports have linked McLaren with a 911-fighter to slot in below the MP4, and a stratospheric hyper-car to slot in above. With three core ranges in store, that could give McLaren enough space to launch variants of each for years to come.

While the key to its meeting ever-restricting environmental regulations rests in its lightweight construction, the British racing-team-turned-automaker is also said to be working on bringing battery-assisted propulsion ? similar, we'd suspect, to the KERS regenerative braking system found in its latest Formula 1 racers ? to the street, reportedly already managing to extract a single horsepower out of a lithium-ion fuel cell no larger than a AA battery.

mp4_12c_019_2.jpg

On a side note, how awesome is that picture? So much heritage.

Last edited:
It's not the same without Murray.

Although I certainly won't complain about a new McLaren every year, I feel like they are getting WAY ahead of themselves here. Much like Lotus. Maybe it's a British thing.

Although I certainly won't complain about a new McLaren every year, I feel like they are getting WAY ahead of themselves here. Much like Lotus. Maybe it's a British thing.

There is a crucial difference. McLaren does actually have the funds for making all these cars. Lotus doesn't.

Lotus is only trying to get way ahead of itself because of the over-inflated ego of the man at the top (who isn't British by any means).

New product

2012 mp4-12c convertible
2013 mp4-12c GT3
2014 mp4-12c GT2
2015 mp4-12c facelift
2016 mp4-12c facelift convertible
etc

Report fails to mention that the Hypercar development has hit a few production engineering snags while they try to make a race engine reliable.

They?d better start shipping that MP4-12C (so people can see if it can deliver what they promise) before anouncing future cars IMO ...

what? you're affraid the car will disappoint?

what? you're affraid the car will disappoint?
Well, I?m certainly not "afraid", since this is hardly of any relevance to me. But of course, the MP4-12C will have to prove itself to the people that buy in that market. Even Millionares don?t buy cars on promises alone ... and for them to see if the McLaren can cut it ... they have to start shipping it.

Wont they just do the same thing as Lamborghini. They just keep adding little tweaks to the same model and releasing it as new.

If they have plenty of money why is the Evora half-arsed when it comes to everything apart from the ride and handling?

Because it was developed before the sale. Lotus' new parents hate the Evora (Automobile Mag had an article about this last month).

Haven't all Lotuses probably been half-assed apart from ride and handling? That's the point of a Lotus.

As long as the future line doesn't include any "Urban Recreation Vehicle" I'm all for it. Go Mclaren let's see what you can make.

New product

2012 mp4-12c convertible
2013 mp4-12c GT3
2014 mp4-12c GT2
2015 mp4-12c facelift
2016 mp4-12c facelift convertible
etc

I have a feeling the reality is something similar to this. Perhaps a v6 hybrid version rather than a facelft. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling the reality is something similar to this. Perhaps a v6 hybrid version rather than a facelft. :rolleyes:

This is Mclaren, any hybrid stuff will go on there to make it faster.