Report: Porsche 928 successor under development

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
Porsche is indeed developing a successor to the 928 coupe alongside its four-door Panamera, according to a new report. Germany's Auto Zeitung says development is underway on the new grand tourer, which should arrive not long after its four-door sibling.

The Panamera, a coupe-like sedan reminiscent of the Mercedes CLS-Class or Aston Martin Rapide, is expected to launch in 2008 as a 2009 model. It will feature a front-engine layout with V8 power.

The original 928 ? built between 1977 and 1995 ? featured a similar setup to the Panamera, with a large V8 in front of the driver and power to the rear wheels. Building a two-door version of the Panamera as a replacement to the 928 seems logical, then.

While there is still no concrete evidence of 928 prototypes, several months ago spies at Porsche's test center in Germany reported seeing a prototype vehicle wearing a 1995 Porsche 928 body, but with heavy modification and a pile of measurement equipment inside. The car appeared to be a testbed for a new platform, with a wider stance than the old 928.

Of course, this isn't the first time we've heard rumors of a new 928 ? and that might be a good sign. In early 2006, Road and Track said Porsche planned to revive the 928 with a 2010 model based on the Panamera. 18 months later, the rumors continue to circulate, with no denial from Porsche officials.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-porsche-928-successor-under-development.html#more-5140

Magazine photoshop pic: http://autozeitung.de/online/files/...php?render=popup&media_id=57439&bc_ID=0058245

Sounds interesting.

A new FR Porsche sounds interesting.

If they could just stuff the V10 from the CGT under the bonnet (perhaps for the S version) .... mmmmmmm .....

I'm not sure I like the looks of that PS, but that's almost a moot point. Cool stuff.

FR with a V8...I wonder if its the Cayanne's V8? Would certainly be a car to look for, hopefully Porsche delivers.

a return of Porches with engines that are actually easy to access on work on, i'm all in favor of that.

Nice... if it looks like that and the 6 series doesn't loose the bangle butt anytime soon I'll have to start saving for this.

It'll be really interesting to see if Porsche do put a new 928 into production, it would make sense for them to do so if it's based on the Panamera.

Do it Porsche, do it!!!!

FR Porsches (except the Cayenne) FTMFW!

Hope they make it. They need a M6 competitor.

I fail to see the point of one. They've already got various levels of the 911 and Boxster/Cayman. The Panamera is different, but a 928 replacement is just redundant.

Isn't the whole point of owning a Porsche not to have an engine in the front?

Isn't the whole point of owning a Porsche not to have an engine in the front?

Ha! Tell that to the 924, 944, 928, 968 owners. They'll kill you!

Dad got the '89 944 Turbo over the 911 because it handled better, was faster, had better brakes (the brakes are HUGE!), slightly better fuel consumption, a bigger boot and he thought it looked a whole lot better.