[Review ID] - Anyone might know what happened to this?

georgeisoff

1984 Audi Sport quattro B2

i109162.jpg

1) From where do you have that screenshot?
2) Are you sure that screenshot is from Top Gear?
3) I have seen every single Top Gear-episode since the new format (2002) and there was never a Sport quattro included.

There were three Quattro reviews on "old" Top Gear. Two of them are available online on youtube:
Warning, MASSIVE Clarkson hair:

But somewhere in the first season of "Ashes to Ashes", an excerpt of the Top Gear review from when the Quattro came out can be seen on Alex Drake's TV screen. I have been trying to find this review online to no avail so far. I guess we'd need someone with BBC archive access to ever find it - or to find out it the "excerpt" was created for Ashes to Ashes and there is no review.

s05e08 had a rallye-version of the ur-quattro (racing around the track and losing against a Lancer Evo).

I've seen some quattro-pieces on youtube from old TG and there's a Clarkson only-piece on one of his DVDs where he compares the (then current) RS4 to the old road-legal quattro.

That red quattro looks totally unfamiliar to me WRT Top Gear ... :confused:

But somewhere in the first season of "Ashes to Ashes", an excerpt of the Top Gear review from when the Quattro came out can be seen on Alex Drake's TV screen.

That clip can be found on youtube (I think). Sadly, I can't watch it in my country due to boring legal stuff ...

S.

Last edited:
(02x09) From the segment: "Greatest Car Ever". Unfortunately, the segment had to be dropped for the BBC prime rips.

Found this in the suggestions-list on youtube for the first quattro-clip:

Looks like this is the quattro in the original post.

S.

That clip can be found on youtube (I think). Sadly, I can't watch it in my country due to boring legal stuff ...
That's the audio from the review in question with footage from "Ashes to Ashes".

Jensen FF was 4 wheel drive too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen_FF

Thought so. ...
It was the first non all-terrain production car equipped with 4WD[SUP][1][/SUP] and an anti-lock braking system ? the Dunlop Maxaret mechanical system used hitherto only on aircraft, trucks, or racing cars. An experimental system was first fitted to a CV-8, based on the chassis of the Jensen 541S, but this did not go into production. The use of four-wheel drive preceded the successful Audi Quattro by many years.
The letters FF stand for Ferguson Formula, after Ferguson Research Ltd., who invented the car's four-wheel drive system. The FF was related to the similar-looking, rear-wheel drive, Jensen Interceptor, but is 127 mm (5.0 in) longer, and mechanically very different.

[edit]Reception and sales

Although it was a highly innovative vehicle in a technical sense, the FF was not all that commercially successful. Its price was high ? about 30% higher than the Jensen Interceptor, and more than that of luxury GTs from much more prestigious makes.
The FF also suffered from a design problem, and not one easily cured: the system was set up for a driver in the right hand seat, and no considerations had been made to making it left-hand drive. In particular, the central transfer case and both propeller shafts protruded into the left-hand seat space. The steering gear and brake servo were fitted on the right-hand side, and there was no space for them on the left.[SUP][1][/SUP] By the early 1970s, Jensen's primary markets were in overseas markets where cars were driven on the right hand side of the road (particularly the United States), and the FF could not be sold there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There we have in a nutshell why British Manufacturing and engineering (Apart from the education system being buggered up) has gone 'tits up'. Did not make a LHD version - pah!

Jensen_FF_Mark_II.jpg

Last edited:
(02x09) From the segment: "Greatest Car Ever". Unfortunately, the segment had to be dropped for the BBC prime rips.

not top gear. I have that ep, 59 mins long. (so it must be another one)

edit - and what is graeme le saux (former chelski left back) doing hosting top gear?

Last edited:
[video=youtube;xhCI8PHQd-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhCI8PHQd-A[/video]

There were also the Black Cab and Jaguar E-type which I cannot find on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited: