Revving the engine before shutting it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
freakster_991 said:
actually it is bad to rev the engine before shuttin down because u wanna keep the chamber free of the fuel as to save the engine oil...it also increases tiny particles inside the cylinder...you have to make the cylinders as clean as possible....revvin it makes it dirty

Also sends unburnt fuel into your cat convertor. Which is also bad :oops:

People can get turbo-timers and stuff...

Also, i bet alot of people with turbos in their cars don't leave their engine on for a few mins and then shut it off....what about cars like the S600 with twin turbos? they have turbo timers built-in or somethin?

I heard its good to do with rotary powered cars to remove carbon build up on the seals. Nothing too high just a quick rev to about 5-6k and then a quick shut off.

I think it would be bad for most motors to just shut them off and high rev due to the afromentioned oil loss. I mean I know of guys that race on the track that have motors seize up in a turn because they starved their oil pump. So I cant imagine just shutting an engine off at 7k is good for a motor.

I dont have to worry of course cause my car has a dry sump oil system from the factory. And oh btw if anyone ever asks you this on jepordy: a 911 motor takes about 12 quarts of oil :shock: which makes for a very expensive oil change when nice sythentic is 3-4bucks a quart. :cry:

Dark_Templer_102 said:
People can get turbo-timers and stuff...

Also, i bet alot of people with turbos in their cars don't leave their engine on for a few mins and then shut it off....what about cars like the S600 with twin turbos? they have turbo timers built-in or somethin?

Turbos that have oil left in the bearings that turns to coak is what people of turbo cars are worried about. From what I understand some of the more expenisve cars have water cooled turbos so they dont have to worry about cooling them down as much because the coaking is less of an issue because the oil isnt in the bearings. Can someone back me up on this?

Porscheguy79 said:
a 911 motor takes about 12 quarts of oil :shock: which makes for a very expensive oil change when nice sythentic is 3-4bucks a quart. :cry:

50 bucks a year? I wouldn't be worried too much about that.. Plus you don't have to buy a coolant.. And worry about coolant leaks, and waterpump failures, rusted radiator. I spent a lot on these issues last year. You know, your car is probably cheaper to run than mine (944) if not counting the gas :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.