Richard and the Zonda...

he's got a whole bunch of cars already, he even bought the yellow Ferrari from one of the challenges, he's got several Porsches, Land Rovers, the Morgan...

He simply doesn't need another car, and surely not this one. It's too insane to drive everyday (as they demonstrated in French underground carparks) and you can't use the power cause of traffic

He could easily afford one though

Im sorry. but some of you are way overestimating how much he makes. He's wealthy, sure, but hes not Simon Cowell wealthy. And these guys (Hammond, Clarkson) usually only own one supercar at a time.

Case in Point, we know Clarkson makes more than Hammond, yet he didn't buy his AMG CL55 until he sold his F355, then got rid of his CL55, got his Ford GT, and didn't get his Gallardo roadster until he sold his GT.

Sure he could prob afford to own two at a time, but hes not so obscenely rich that he keeps stables like exotics like that like the Rainbow Sheik or something.

Besides i believe the Zonda in any trim costs almost 3x as much as the Morgan AeroMax he ordered and thats the most expensive car he's purchased, to date.

Just cause you can afford one dosnt make it wise. I live in a one bedroom flat yet I could afford a Ferrari 360 or maybe even a used F430 but its not worth it to me. Unless you live like the Asscari(dont kill me for misspelling it) owner and have your own race track you cant really use it. Remeber he is in .uk land of the speed camera. So on your way to work you are stuck going just as fast as the VW lupo next to you, you cant go over a speed bump, you wont park it out with the other cars when you goto the shops, when you do drive it you bum hurts after an hour, then you got to deal with the punks in the Honda Civics bugging you tring to race, then when you do park it you got to deal with the group of young men who have gathered around to look at it. Then when it does break and it will or even just tune ups can easly get into the $5k+ range. So unless you got a spare million to spend for a good 5-6 days of driving a year it just dosnt make since. Its best to join one of those super car clubs where you get the few days of driving yet dont have to deal with the real life issues of owning a car such as that.

He's also got a couple muscle cars, too, which are wiser purchases (in my opinion) than a half million dollar piece of carbon fiber on wheels.

Case in Point, we know Clarkson makes more than Hammond, yet he didn't buy his AMG CL55 until he sold his F355, then got rid of his CL55, got his Ford GT, and didn't get his Gallardo roadster until he sold his GT.

Sure he could prob afford to own two at a time, but hes not so obscenely rich that he keeps stables like exotics like that like the Rainbow Sheik or something.

I love how they are sensible with their millions. Very endearing trait :lol:

I've been avoiding saying this, because I have this horrible fear I'm turning into Mr No Opinion But Passes On Info From Magazines, but the ex-editor (and still contributor) to EVO magazine has a Zonda. An S, with bits from the F, iirc.

He tries to use it daily but it lived in his garage over the winter. It's now back up and about for his daily commute - last car he had was a Ferrari 550, again used as a daily driver.

This is alongside a Clio 182 Cup, a Clio 197, a Lotus Exige 340, a Fiat Panda 4x4, an old Range Rover, and a new Maserati GT...I wish I lived like that.

So it is possible to own one, it is possible to own one and use it (almost) daily, but I guess Hammond doesn't need it. Or it failed the 'wife test', I guess. He can get away with taking the kids to school in a 911 but you can't do that with a Zonda unless they sit on the rear spoiler.

I love how they are sensible with their millions. Very endearing trait :lol:

that's because millions don't buy quite as much as they used to.

A smart multi millionaire would own multiple properties around the world, rather than spend on multiple exotic supercars.

Personally, if i was in Hammons position i would stop buying semi-super cars like new 911s and Morgans and just get one really nicely speced Zonda. I mean he has enough bikes and regular cars that I'm sure his transportation needs are facilitated. With that said i personally owned about 4 cars (never more then 2 running at a time) and it really isn't "exciting" compared to having something you can rely on, the only good thing about having more then one car is when they all work steller, so that then you can beat on them all just a little more and truly enjoy them. I sold my old MR2 specifically because it was too rare to beat on or have fun in, and the wind-noise.

If he were to sell his other cars and get a zonda like a few people have suggested, he would only have one car he could enjoy. This way, he can enjoy a variety of different sports cars and his family/friends would also be able to enjoy the cars.

Frankly i still think Hammond's choice of the Aeromax makes much more sense since he prides himself on being the Morgan fanboy, and the car is much more niche, and daresay 'cool' than the slightly more 'obvious' choice of a Zonda. Yes, Zondas aren't common, but they are considered proper supercars, while some ppl still mock Morgans as 4 wheels anachronisms and based on that lack of respect, it makes their halo car quite cool, and therefore Hammond's choice much cooler.

Besides he's drive 3 different Zondas including one cross continent...for free. What reason would he have to want to own one, esp since he pointed out all the little foibles that detract from each version.

it probably like fancying a girl; she's pretty, the funny, she's great to talk to, brilliant in bed, she makes you feel fantastic!
problem is, as your climaxing she likes to twist your nipples.

anyone knows why he likes his cars 2nd hand????
cant understand that!

yes but i dont think it would hurt him a lot if he loses a few grand.
maybe hes a very sensible chap, if i would have that much money i would collect a full garage of the most extravagant cars in the world.

Would you pay many hundreds of thousands of pounds for an AMG only with the Paris kerb incident (CRUNCH) ? or a normal AMG without the Paris kerb incident ?

Last edited:
cant understand that!

I can't speak for him, but most of my wish list would have to be bought used as the cars have gone out of production.

cant understand that!

watch the show a little more, esp older seasons when they actually gave consumer car purchase advice. they obsess over depreciation and second hand value, saying how much more sense to buy some cars when they are 2-3 years old vs new, not many miles, but so much cheaper.

despite the fact they make a lot of money they still practice what they preach i guess. besides i think guys like hammond actually enjoy it and make it a little game to see whats the best second hand deal he can find, and brag about it. the presenters on fifth gear have the same mentality. buying brand new seems to be reserved for 'special' cars, like hammonds morgans, jeremys GT, or maybe even James mays Fiat panda.