Hammond: Richard Hammond's Crash Course

Alasondro Alegré

Forum Addict
Richard Hammond, co-star of the automotive-focused BBC blockbuster "Top Gear," has spent more time battling the stench of soiled diapers and rotting lettuce than palling around with Tinseltown types while in Colorado.

That's because the British star, often referred to by his fans as "Hamster" due to his diminutive size, has since Monday been shooting an episode of a brand-new TV series for the BBC -- dubbed "Richard Hammond's Crash Course" -- at the Denver Regional Landfill in Erie.

In the Erie episode, however, the Camera learned that the middle-aged TV talker is taught how to use various pieces of heavy equipment at the dump to process, compact and bury garbage.

Hammond could be seen touring the gas-to-energy plant Thursday with a crew of about 20. But a BBC publicity manager wouldn't give a Camera reporter and photographer closer access to the set without an assurance from the paper that it wouldn't publish photos or video until the show's air date on BBC America, which is scheduled for sometime in the spring.

http://www.dailycamera.com/erie-news/ci_18712044

Hmmm interesting, thank you for that! I thought he was in the US filming Hard Drive with Richard Hammond - or has it now been renamed "Crash Course"? I prefer Hard Drive over Crash Course... Or perhaps we will be lucky and get two new series from Hammond :)

I went over the "new BBC America shows" thread before opening this, and got the feeling "Hard Drive" was strictly about driving all manner of vehicles. It's true he's operating landfill machinery here, but it's not really driving. I can't say for sure, but my guess is that they're two different series. The "crash course" angle probably means he'll visit a number of factories/facilities, learning how each place works and how to do the different jobs required at each place.

That sounds pretty logical, Alasondro! Thank you for your input. It would be fabulous to get two new series from Richard.

Is it bad I saw the show name of Crash Course being linked with Hammond and thought something totally different?

Is it bad I saw the show name of Crash Course being linked with Hammond and thought something totally different?
As soon as I saw the title I was expecting this thread to be full of pad puns about that. Get on it MWF...

I misread it as Richard Hammonds: Cash Course, I assume he walks into random businesses and says he'll promote anything for a ?1.

As soon as I saw the title I was expecting this thread to be full of pad puns about that. Get on it MWF...

No.

Crash Course makes more sense as a title than Hard Drive. It implies a steep learning curve which is what Hammond will be on each time he takes the controls of a new vehicle type for the first time. Shame it's him and not May doing this but I'll probably watch it anyway.

... to coincide with the US premiere of S18.

A few more pics here that I hadn't seen yet:

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/richard-hammond-invades-america.html

I just noticed the the press release from the Press Office itself included episode synopses:
Episode One: Abrams Tank

At Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas, Richard Hammond tests his skills to see if he has what it takes to be a member of a top tank crew, as he learns to drive the US Army?s MIA2 Abrams Tank. The tank ?Debel,? meaning to conquer in war, lives up to its fighter name as a leading force in ground-armored combat. Richard?s challenge is not only to drive the 68.7 ton machine, but to master all four positions within the tank: Driver, Commander, Gunner and Loader. Before he can jump in, he has to complete the Army?s extensive training program including hours of simulator training and of course, physical fitness training. Episode One premieres Monday, April 16, 10:00pm ET/PT.

Episode Two: Tree Harvester

In the midst of an Oregon forest, Richard Hammond?s skills are put to the test when he is challenged to become a lumberjack and master three massive machines that cut and process wood. The first machine, the Feller Buncher, is used to cut down trees and can process 1,000 trees a day. The Dangle Head Processor handles the logs like toothpicks, as it cuts, strips and slices wood in less than a minute. Finally, the Log Loader adds organization to the chaos by stacking the logs. However, before Richard can touch the machines he has to prove he has what it takes to become a lumberjack by climbing 50 feet up a tree and of course, learning how to replant the trees to create a sustainable forest. Episode Two premieres Monday, April 23, 10:00pm ET/PT.

Episode Three: Landfill

Richard Hammond gets down and dirty at the Denver Regional Landfill where he learns how to operate three trash machines - the Compactor, Scraper and Bulldozer. The Bulldozer is used to spread garbage so the other machines can work properly, it can push up to 22 tons of waste. The Compactor, which weighs more than the last 11 Super Bowl championship teams combined, is used to crush the rubbish. Lastly, the Scraper covers the refuse and can hold up to 40 tons of dirt. Richard not only has to master all three, he is challenged to maintain the machines as well, which means cleaning them at the end of a hard day?s work. Episode Three premieres Monday, April 30, 10:00pm ET/PT.

Episode Four: Striker

Richard Hammond takes on the Striker, the world?s most powerful fire engine, under the supervision of the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport firefighters. The Striker is designed to be driven and operated by one person, it has eight wheels which are all driven and it features two water cannons that can fire up to 1200 gallons a minute. Richard also attempts to master the physical challenges that determine if he has what it takes to be a firefighter. Episode Four premieres Monday, May 7, 10:00pm ET/PT.

Episode Five: Demolition

Richard Hammond is bringing down the house in Orlando, Florida, home to one of the busiest demolition companies in the nation, and he?s using their massive Track Hoe and Wrecking Ball to do it. On average, it takes a person six months to master a Track Hoe, but Richard only has a few hours to learn how to use it like a pair of tweezers. The two ton Wrecking Ball has the power to tear down a five story building in seconds. Richard?s challenge is to prove to the company he is worthy of a real demo man title by demolishing a house with surgical precision. Episode Five premieres Monday, May 14, 10:00pm ET/PT.

Episode Six: Salvage Yard

Richard Hammond has his hands full as he heads down to Louisiana to salvage scrap metal. He must conquer the Crane, the Claw and Electro-Magnet, all of which are essential tools used to break down oil rigs and select the reusable material. The Crane can lift up to 150 tons and crawls at a top speed of one MPH. The Claw is used to separate out recyclable materials. It can lift 15 tons of recyclable materials at one time, the equivalent of 100 sumo wrestlers. The Electro-Magnet can lift up to 4,000 pounds at one time, the same as 20 refrigerators. Episode Six premieres Monday, May 21, 10:00pm ET/PT.

Last edited:
Now with more embedding...