Richard Porter looks back on Top Gear

Why is it this guy can write a book, but the Stig was sued? I think this has to do with the vocally impaired. Or maybe it was because they couldn't see his eyes. Either way, I think the Stig is owed an apology, and a helmet polishing.

Non-disclosure agreements? Collins might have had to sign a large amount of NDAs when hired as the Stig, and trying to publish a book while still working as the Stig would have violated all of them and constituted major breaches of contract. Porter no longer works for Top Gear or the BBC as far as I know, so any NDAs would no longer apply.

Last edited:
You missed the helmet polishing. Think about it for a minute.

Non-disclosure agreements? Collins might have had to sign a large amount of NDAs when hired as the Stig, and trying to publish a book while still working as the Stig would have violated all of them and constituted major breaches of contract. Porter no longer works for Top Gear or the BBC as far as I know, so any NDAs would no longer apply.

Actualy, NDA's can still apply, even after you've left the company.

And since this book probably won't come in our stores it'll be visa time. :(

I finished it yesterday too, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I definitely recommend it if you're a Top Gear fan.

I read the ebook off B&N and really liked it. Not many surprises for someone who has followed the show but some good behind the scenes info. I especially liked the chapter on how they got the cars. They just asked, mostly. Porter really sounds like the 5th beatle, with Clarkson, Hammond, May and Willman being the Fab 4.

Just ordered the book at Amazon :)

Finished reading it. After the last pages I've been wondering, if Porter is part of the team around Clarkson, May and Hammond for the new series? Does anyone know? He seemed seriously pissed at what Jeremy did.

Finished reading it. After the last pages I've been wondering, if Porter is part of the team around Clarkson, May and Hammond for the new series? Does anyone know? He seemed seriously pissed at what Jeremy did.

In a subsequent interview, he said he and Jeremy patched things up.

Use of the word "former" is interesting. I'm quite surprised that Porter isn't part of the team for the Amazon project.

How do you know he isn't?

Interview, two posts up, last question

And finally, do you know yet if you?ll be working with Clarkson, Hammond and May again, or on the new series of Top Gear?
I?ve been asked, but I don?t want it to interfere with my flower arranging classes.

How do you know he isn't?

Use of the word "former" is a clue. Unless he is going to be but hasn't yet started and they need to keep things a little quiet. He does produce a lot of the written TG merchandise like the Alternative Highway Code so maybe the BBC have persuaded him to stay or he is keeping quiet about it at this stage.

It's just that I have gotten the impression that we was an essential part of Top Gear, of the show's soul, if you want, and that's why I assumed he would stay with his "family".

I don't see why they would like to keep things quiet. TG seems to be taking any chance to milk the past glory, CHM has a new show to promote.
Because he has to sell his book my guess would be that he'll look for any chance to put his name out there.
Yet he basically says he has nothing to do with TG or CHM for now.

Both parts should be looking forward to have him in staff...
This is actually very interesting.

Use of the word "former" is interesting. I'm quite surprised that Porter isn't part of the team for the Amazon project.

Theatre are two readings to that:

a) He wrote the book, someone did`l like it, hence he is not in the new show.

b) He was not ask to join the new show, hence he wrote the book.

Cheers