Richard recovering from emergency operation (appendicitis)

aaurora

Car(s)
Mazda
Hope he feels better soon :) Poor boy.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1082113.ece

TOP Gear pixie Richard Hammond was this week rushed to hospital with appendicitis, TV Biz can reveal.

The Hamster ? who cheated death in a 288 mile-an-hour crash in 2006 ? checked into a top veterinary surgery, sorry, hospital after suffering severe stomach pains on Tuesday.

The 38-year-old was rushed into theatre for an emergency operation to remove his appendix.

The op went smoothly and docs discharged him from London?s University College Hospital yesterday afternoon.

A source said: ?His tummy was grumbling for a few days but soon Richard started to feel terrible. It turned out he had appendicitis.?

The telly star is now recovering at home with wife Mindy and their kids.

Richard will be relieved to have such a short hospital stay ? he spent five weeks there in 2006 after his big dragster crash during a Top Gear stunt.

However, despite suffering from post-traumatic amnesia, Richard has almost completely recovered.

"Pixie"? :lol: The teasing will never end.

It's amazing how non-invasive appendectomies are these days, when I had mine out last year I was in hospital for just over 24 hours, and most of that was spent surfing FG using the hospital's wireless connection. I walked out with only mild post-surgery pains and a recuperating digestive system. I didn't even bother taking any of the Tylenol-3 they prescribed me on the way out. I had more down-time when I got my wisdom teeth out! :lol:

Appendicitis? Bah, wimp. I had that when I was in 2nd grade. Wanna see the scar? :p

It's amazing how non-invasive appendectomies are these days, when I had mine out last year I was in hospital for just over 24 hours, and most of that was spent surfing FG using the hospital's wireless connection. I walked out with only mild post-surgery pains and a recuperating digestive system. I didn't even bother taking any of the Tylenol-3 they prescribed me on the way out. I had more down-time when I got my wisdom teeth out! :lol:

That's cool, but they aren't always that positive. My sister recently had an appendectomies and ended up with a terrible Staph Infection that required a couple weeks worth of IV antibiotics.

But that's a big risk with any surgery these days, no matter how routine it's supposed to be.

Appendicitis? Bah, wimp. I had that when I was in 2nd grade. Wanna see the scar? :p

A burst appendix can result in massive sepsis and death if not operated quickly, just because you had it as a kid, not sure why youre belittling Richard's appendix attack.

A burst appendix can result in massive sepsis and death if not operated quickly, just because you had it as a kid, not sure why youre belittling Richard's appendix attack.

It was a joke man. I'm pretty sure Blaro had no intention of belitting Richard's experience, but was merely trying to lighten up the situation :)

I could see if Hammond was dying, then such a joke would be uncalled for, but since Hammond is making a full recovery, it's just a harmless joke.

It was a joke man. I'm pretty sure Blaro had no intention of belitting Richard's experience, but was merely trying to lighten up the situation :)

I could see if Hammond was dying, then such a joke would be uncalled for, but since Hammond is making a full recovery, it's just a harmless joke.

I've seen guys younger than me spend months in the ICU because of burst appendixes that weren't operated on, its a horrible mess, so i'm coming from a place where those jokes don't sound funny, just ignorant.

I've seen guys younger than me spend months in the ICU because of burst appendixes that weren't operated on, its a horrible mess, so i'm coming from a place where those jokes don't sound funny, just ignorant.

I can totally relate (see my post above about my sister). However, Richard has almost completely recovered, so I really don't think Blaro would've made the joke if Richard's condition were more serious. It was just his way of cheering up this thread, or atleast that's how I interpreted it. I really don't think he meant any offense by what he said.

I can totally relate (see my post above about my sister). However, Richard has almost completely recovered, so I really don't think Blaro would've made the joke if Richard's condition were more serious. It was just his way of cheering up this thread, or atleast that's how I interpreted it. I really don't think he meant any offense by what he said.

I believe when the article said he had 'almost completely recovered' I think it's regarding his 2006 crash as they talk about his amnesia....that's just how I read it.

Hopefully the poor boy will be all good soon :cry:

I lol'd more at the article because of the stupid references "Pixies", and "veterinary surgeon" than at the content.

But, yeah, get well soon

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/200...-op-for-lunch-with-fan-at-ivy-89520-20392817/

Update: Doctors also found kidney stones and a hernia - so he's back in hospital next week to remove the stones. Not having a good trot, but it's good they were found sooner than later...
Good god he's falling apart :/ Hopefully they can remove the stones and the henria will heal quickly enough so he can do all the filming for the new season on time...A hernia takes quite some time to heal if I remember right.

One of my teachers had a burst appendix and she fell into a coma and when she came out she had completely forgotten how to speak her native language.

Think all this is front page worthy or meh, forums are enough?