Ringmeet 2016, August 11-14

Ah, a Ringmeet thread. Good :)

I'll be there of course. Hotel has already been booked 3 weeks ago or so. Landgasthof Weihs, if anyone is interested. a 3 minute walk away from the campsite.

Not sure I will be able t donate any more prizes for the award ceremony since I got rid of my crap last year already :p But maybe there is the possibility to somehow fit the prizes into the budget? I'd have some ideas in that case.

What I am determined to bring, though, is my XL cooling box! Cold beer FTW!

I will attend from Thursday to Sunday, by the way. And hopefully I will have new teeth until then!

Last edited:
I plan on making my find decision and having my flight tickets in hand by the end of the week.

Current flight fore-runner: Depart YYZ at 10pm on August 5, arrive LGW at 10am on August 6. Depart LGW at 11am on August 15.

Before I buy that ticket though, can I just get a final confirmation from the group that I'll be able to get back to London in time? Ideally with someone driving back that way (obviously splitting gas costs etc).

Departing from London-Gatwick at 11am on the Monday means you need some Brit who drives back on Sunday. Hm....

If you can't find a Sir that will waffle you back to Blighty you can book a cheap flight from Frankfurt to London and I can make a detour to bring you to Frankfurt Airport during Sunday, like I did last year with BlaRo.

Last edited:
While LGW isn't the best for flying into from Germany, there's a reasonably priced 80? flight from STR Sunday night... should be right on lip's way too, well-timed for an early afternoon departure from the Eifel.

Don't fly to LGW from Cologne/Bonn. In my experience it always goes pear shaped. ;)

I somehow have the feeling that a bit of the Ringmeet enthusiasm has gone. Last year at this time we already had twice as many posts in the planning thread as now...

Has the campsite been booked yet?

I somehow have the feeling that a bit of the Ringmeet enthusiasm has gone. Last year at this time we already had twice as many posts in the planning thread as now..
We also switched to the planning thread a month earlier and with three dates still in the running, so half of those posts probably were bickering about which date to choose :D

EDIT: Then again, after last years all-time high of attendence, I don't necessarily think a smaller group this year would mean failure.

Last edited:
I somehow have the feeling that a bit of the Ringmeet enthusiasm has gone. Last year at this time we already had twice as many posts in the planning thread as now.
We are sufficiently routined by now that the planning stage doesn't require as much posting as before. Doesn't mean less enthusiasm. :)

I somehow have the feeling that a bit of the Ringmeet enthusiasm has gone. Last year at this time we already had twice as many posts in the planning thread as now...

Has the campsite been booked yet?

Don't panic. I'm sure everything will come together in time.

We also switched to the planning thread a month earlier and with three dates still in the running, so half of those posts probably were bickering about which date to choose :D

EDIT: Then again, after last years all-time high of attendence, I don't necessarily think a smaller group this year would mean failure.

Agreed. If anything I think last year was almost too big. The year before felt just right, enough people to create a great atmosphere but not so many that you didn't get the chance to speak with everyone.

If all else fails: train tickets from Cologne to London start at ?59 and the ride is quite nice. ;)

I would do the train in that position just to do something different.

If all else fails: train tickets from Cologne to London start at ?59 and the ride is quite nice. ;)
Looks more like ?54,50 if you book via Eurostar as opposed to Deutsche Bahn.

That is also a good option :)
I would do the train in that position just to do something different.
Exactly. It's even Top Gear compatible, referring to the races where :richard: and :james: went on the Eurostar against :jeremy: in e.g. the DB9.

- - - Updated - - -

Current flight fore-runner: Depart YYZ at 10pm on August 5, arrive LGW at 10am on August 6. Depart LGW at 11am on August 15.
A word of warning: If that's on Air Transat, you will almost certainly experience some of the tightest seats on any long-range aircraft: little legroom and nine across in a cabin designed for eight across.

Agreed. If anything I think last year was almost too big. The year before felt just right, enough people to create a great atmosphere but not so many that you didn't get the chance to speak with everyone.

You're welcome. ;)
:lol:

Looks more like ?54,50 if you book via Eurostar as opposed to Deutsche Bahn.

This sounds ideal! Thanks.

A word of warning: If that's on Air Transat, you will almost certainly experience some of the tightest seats on any long-range aircraft: little legroom and nine across in a cabin designed for eight across.

So I've heard. The flight I'm looking at is Lufthansa.

This sounds ideal! Thanks.
caveat: You need a bit of luck to get the cheapest prices and you have to book months in advance, otherwise they may well be sold out.

I'd book via Eurostar if I were you because their tickets allow you to take any (of four or five per day, IIRC) German high-speed train ("ICE") to Brussels, as opposed to DB tickets which tie you to one specific train. Oh, and the journey time of about two hours that you will find on eurostar.com is only for Brussels-London, so don't book anything too early because you have to get from Cologne to Brussels first.

So I've heard. The flight I'm looking at is Lufthansa.
"Lufthansa" from Toronto direct to Gatwick is guaranteed to be an Air Canada Rouge codeshare. Tight legroom, but the seats are probably about an inch wider and at 16.5" versus 17.5", that one inch really counts.

"Lufthansa" from Toronto direct to Gatwick is guaranteed to be an Air Canada Rouge codeshare. Tight legroom, but the seats are probably about an inch wider and at 16.5" versus 17.5", that one inch really counts.

Well the alternative would be to pay 2x more to fly Delta out of DTW.