Ringmeet 2018, because we're not finnished with this.

93Flareside , do you mean the roadtrip or just the Ringmeet? In any case, you would for sure be very welcome. We have enough cars that can take a passenger.

Looking on the first page, there doesn't seem to be any roadtrips planned. I can look through the other pages and find something.

Also, since my German is limited to, hello, good-bye, I would like *x*, and asking for a menu or a receipt; can I book the hotel nearby online without speaking to a person? I can make out enough to book a hotel room (or use google to translate what I don't know.)

rickhamilton620;n3543331 said:
Why am I calculating my ability to go to this.

Based on the costs on the first page, it's doable (round trip) with 360 bucks to spare if I save 100 bucks a paycheck, more if I forgo a rental car and/or save 150 bucks a paycheck... :hmm:

We can book a rental car together if you're still interested.

EDIT x2

Holy shit, are the hotel rooms really less than 50 euro a night?

Last edited:
93Flareside;n3547824 said:
Looking on the first page, there doesn't seem to be any roadtrips planned. I can look through the other pages and find something.
What do you mean? Of course there is a roadtrip planned, in fact the Balkan roadtrip has been in the making since about three years now... :p

Also, since my German is limited to, hello, good-bye, I would like *x*, and asking for a menu or a receipt; can I book the hotel nearby online without speaking to a person? I can make out enough to book a hotel room (or use google to translate what I don't know.)
Yes, most hotel staff speaks english, even in the countryside.

Holy shit, are the hotel rooms really less than 50 euro a night?
Yes, it is the countryside afterall. ;)

Eye-Q;n3547826 said:
Yes, most hotel staff speaks english, even in the countryside.

While probably true. I don't want to assume that.

At our two go-to hotels, Weihs (right next to the campsite) and Faltin (ten minute walk), I wouldn't assume that neither, but I think both had some of our international guests already.

If you're unsure, we can help you out by drafting an email in German (or a follow-up by phone).

Also yes, both hotels are that cheap. The rooms are really small and basic, but what other than a bed, a shower and a breakfast buffet do you need?

Last edited:
Oh, for sure. Pension Becken is the same way. If these are the same as becken, I’m familiar.

I’d like to meet halfway through the road trip and then finish at the ringmeet if that’s cool with you guys.

93Flareside;n3547834 said:
I’d like to meet halfway through the road trip and then finish at the ringmeet if that’s cool with you guys.
Nope, you have to take the whole trip or GTFO. :p

Nah, of course we can see what we can do with the (currently preliminary) itinerary, that includes picking up someone at an airport somewhere. As far as I can see we'll be able to plan the routes so that we'll pass Tirana airport on Saturday August 4th and Dubrovnik Airport on Sunday August 5th, we should pass around noon at both airports. From both airports it's about 4 hours to the preliminary destination so it might be possible to wait for you if you can't arrive before noon, then we can split the group for that day so the first group can get to the campsite to get camp spots and the second group picks you up.

93Flareside;n3547834 said:

MXM did that on the last time we were in the Balkans, except he completely skipped the Balkans :p

Holy shit, those flight prices though. No matter the airport, it’s over $3,000 one way or a billion air miles that I don’t quite have enough of.. I also didn’t look at the map for distance. Sounds fun but, the flight might kill me, after flying for the length of time, last thing I want to think about is sit more. Sure, there’s stops along the way but, still.

it looks like the best option for me is to fly into Frankfurt and drive the 105 miles to the ring, sorry. :(

Damn, so much more money for going to Croatia than to Frankfurt...

But yeah, understandable decision.

Some of us may be arriving earlier and doing tourist stuff locally. If that makes the trip more worthwhile you'd be welcome to join us.

MWF;n3547904 said:
Some of us may be arriving earlier and doing tourist stuff locally. If that makes the trip more worthwhile you'd be welcome to join us.

Ok, I’d be game. Where, what, when?

Let's see if I could make the meet a bit more finnished. Every 5 years sounds like a good cycle.

MWF, how early are you thinking of coming?

We plan to visit Classic Remise in Dusseldorf on the Tuesday then arrive on the Tuesday evening and check into Faltin, getting up early on the Wednesday and spending the day at Phantasialand. If anyone else wishes to join us for those parts feel free.

Thursday having a lazy morning and maybe doing a local touristy thing (Roman Villa) before returning to the campsite to greet the various arrivals. HWF3.0 and I are probably going to hotelfag all of it this year but allow Junior to do the tenting thing for the 4 nights when others will be there.

Would like to do a Scenic Drive on the Friday so as to avoid too much typical Ringmeet S.A.D.0.® - I believe others are also interesting in same but perhaps better for someone more local to plan that.

Last edited:
I''m gonna see about putting some cash aside and maybe fly in like I did last time, I'll have to see, as I'm going in for some surgery in May, I'll be on sick leave until August.So I don't know what I'll even be able to afford.

Man, if only I could convince work to send my parsh...the 944 wants to go home! Run free! Go on the 'ring!

And then you would be refused at the gate because that thing is nowhere near roadlegal by any relevant definition, plus not registered and insured for use on German roads. :p

So, trying to work out details with my travel agent now (mostly about how I'm getting out of Germany, post-ringmeet, and when)...but it looks like you might have to endure an Aussie accent again.