Ringmeet 2018, because we're not finnished with this.

So we are confirmed as follows.

Me, HWF3.0 and Junior Menace. Junior is going to camp to get the full Ringmeet experience but the missus and I are confirmed as booked at the Faltin for the duration.

So it's basically one teenage person/one tent Thu-Mon, 2 adult attendees for the usual shenanigans plus not sure if we need to count the Winbiza as that will mostly be at Faltin or elsewhere but include that if required it's not a problem.

I know it's a pain but if you could please advise Im Wurstkessel that we have one vegan in our party and ask if they can accommodate that would be much appreciated. For the BBQ I'm sure I can locate the place Macguffin and I went to last year to get some veggie grill things and of course there will be salad and bread already.

MacGuffin;n3549577 said:
Just wait a few more days until you get a reply from Weihs, Wurstkessel or Faltin. I tried to stay in hotels farer away before and it sucks.

It's so convenient when all you have to do is stand up, walk for three or five minutes (depending on how well you can still walk in a straight line), and crash.

Have faith in the advice of the ones who've been there several times ;-)

I have faith. But I'm also looking out for my wallet. I guess I'll wait a few days before booking to see if I hear back.

MWF;n3549581 said:
So we are confirmed as follows.

Me, HWF3.0 and Junior Menace. Junior is going to camp to get the full Ringmeet experience but the missus and I are confirmed as booked at the Faltin for the duration.

So it's basically one teenage person/one tent Thu-Mon, 2 adult attendees for the usual shenanigans plus not sure if we need to count the Winbiza as that will mostly be at Faltin or elsewhere but include that if required it's not a problem.

I know it's a pain but if you could please advise Im Wurstkessel that we have one vegan in our party and ask if they can accommodate that would be much appreciated. For the BBQ I'm sure I can locate the place Macguffin and I went to last year to get some veggie grill things and of course there will be salad and bread already.

Don't hang your hopes too high with Wurstkessel. The only vegetarian dish on their menu is a mixed salad. And I'm afraid they are the type of restaurant who'll tell you: "Vegan? Nah, you have to eat somewhere else for that:" ;-) But hey, maybe I'm wrong and they can put together some potatoes and vegetables without meat? I dunno. If I were you, I'd go there and ask beforehand on Friday or Saturday.

CrzRsn;n3549586 said:
I have faith. But I'm also looking out for my wallet. I guess I'll wait a few days before booking to see if I hear back.

Believe me, your wallet will be protected the most at Weihs or Faltin (don't know the prices at Wurstkessel). Two kilometers down the road, you pay twice as much.

Last edited:
MacGuffin;n3549599 said:
Believe me, your wallet will be protected the most at Weihs or Faltin (don't know the prices at Wurstkessel). Two kilometers down the road, you pay twice as much.

I’ll give it till Friday then.

Also any thoughts on relying on the train to get to/from the camp site (if I fly through FRA)? I know very little of the German train system. I do know that if this were France, I would not rely even dare to try to plan a time sensitive trip 2 months out by train with all their strikes.

.Usually the trains are on time-ish. You posted a timetable from very early in the morning, there the delays of the ICE (if there is any) should be negligible.

That said, depending on when you arrive in FRA there might be someone in the vicinity within the next couple of hours after your arrival so you can hitch a ride.

MacGuffin;n3549599 said:
Don't hang your hopes too high with Wurstkessel. The only vegetarian dish on their menu is a mixed salad. And I'm afraid they are the type of restaurant who'll tell you: "Vegan? Nah, you have to eat somewhere else for that:" ;-) But hey, maybe I'm wrong and they can put together some potatoes and vegetables without meat? I dunno. If I were you, I'd go there and ask beforehand on Friday or Saturday.

:lol: I kind of figured that might be the case. We use the HappyCow app when travelling to find suitable places for Michelle to eat and it gave precisely zero results anywhere in that area.

CrzRsn;n3549615 said:
I’ll give it till Friday then.

Also any thoughts on relying on the train to get to/from the camp site (if I fly through FRA)? I know very little of the German train system. I do know that if this were France, I would not rely even dare to try to plan a time sensitive trip 2 months out by train with all their strikes.

In 2016 we arrived in DUS and took the train to the campsite.
It took much longer than hitching a ride, but it was a very pretty trip.
Buying the tickets was very easy (we used a self-service booth in the train station in the lower level of the airport. Very easy. No hassle) and had to change trains twice. While checking when we had to get out, a nice man asked us if we needed help, since I was looking at a train ticket and the map for the stations.
The only problem we had was when arriving to the last leg of the trip, the train we were supposed to take was not listed in the upcoming arrivals. After a mild panic, a girl at the station explained us that the on-line system had different names for the lines "just because". :lol:

Apart from that, it was a pleasant and reasonable way of getting from the airport to the campsite.
Depending where you live and how much you know about the area, it might feel a bit like arriving in the middle of nowhere, because the "station" is just a stop and almost nothing around it.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"671","width":"1193","src":"https:\/\/lh3.googleusercontent.com\/L3iS65Mv2Lhz7Es2IGiD9paUqYtWcvVvONHL8wB1Q0WttD6sbPMZyQPPRQGp7Zns-hC0VyQ8TlYN2B9hXBE53e-K4x6IEJe-grc4QURp5JMfH5ShlO4G4OiH46xgBXInAh1rDC-nFjh11P9bOHAImLwkCsOeqUaTx4Liqz0frW6hzmZA1Qs7GvN9-cZcXNgL7sdfGNZli11bI8QF7EWVRC5GeS1WOxASJcKg5jj4WU5_50FVwwPzoRU3qKW7L-Mx9JDr230mwl7qvDnFe8CHUmIf6tdmO5Q2FTrMqwHNHLYiUscqdLKIAPI8uvFwyn1jixuAQ8PE7ibrZ8Z4RYo8JuXHCwYyqIEeATMGj-iNvBpjL3sTv_4XryjMvqTvcxziwHxBW967LrC87JlScES-MeRZ2WrpucedKrxPHHsMciApNZSapVRRifqwIUpYcNa5Ksrg31y7ZsJKDNVKoTNHAJoJujW-eTE9Dra4yDQSamBr_2-3szPix0firblcPl_AHY4rPvv8EugmDa9Vcf_4hWmSDCcmCHr9XrirYY1_qRU7gh3FAVrzJVZaSsk_WXPlZXBpRngeVsm7PVDHP56M22-E223wDvJMOU1YmmUc=w1193-h671-no"}[/IMG2]

Redliner;n3549682 said:
The only problem we had was when arriving to the last leg of the trip, the train we were supposed to take was not listed in the upcoming arrivals. After a mild panic, a girl at the station explained us that the on-line system had different names for the lines "just because". :lol:

Oh I hate that!

A while ago some regional subsidiaries decided they didn't want RB12345 but instead RB6 - where 12345 is the nationally-and-daily-unique train number, and 6 is the regionally-unique route number that gets run multiple times a day and also exists in other regions. The online system kept listing 12345 only.
Slightly easier for purely regional traffic because you don't care if you take 12345 or 12347 as long as both serve route 6, but hella confusing for inter-regional traffic.

By now the online system gave in and lists both, e.g. "RE 70 (21031)" for train number 21031 on route 70, a variation of route 7 :? - or, for normal people, Kiel to Hamburg or back.

Well, I guess it is now official that I am going, I just bought 4 tickets to Germany :D

Now I am poor :(

Edit: And I have sent the money to Thomas. Now I just need to take care of the Hotel...

Last edited:
MWF;n3549677 said:
:lol: I kind of figured that might be the case. We use the HappyCow app when travelling to find suitable places for Michelle to eat and it gave precisely zero results anywhere in that area.

Yeah, vegan is mainly a city thing and the Eifel is very rural.

Still nothing from the hotels. Flight prices did go up though :(

These hotels are killing me. Flight prices went up again today. I get that they’re tiny and family run, but this is no way to run a business. I can’t believe that they get so many inquiries that it takes over a week to reply to them. I even sent my emails in both English and German.

What I don't get is why you're waiting with booking flights until you get a hotel. That defies any logic that I ever used.

thomas;n3549869 said:
What I don't get is why you're waiting with booking flights until you get a hotel. That defies any logic that I ever used.

Because I want to be sure I have everything arranged before paying $$$. Don’t want to book a flight to find out I’m fucked on a hotel or something. Seems fairly logical to me. Never had an issue with this mentality on past vacations and have heard of horror stories from people who just decided to wing it.

Last edited:
Just book the fucking flights already, hotels will be sorted one way or another.

Also, try booking the flights from another machine or at least browser (or clean out your cookies). Tickets might become more expensive for repeat visitors to the website.

Last edited:
The thing is that hotel prices (at least in that region) don't go up, even if you book just a week in advance, as long as there are rooms available, while flight prices do go up as you know. There is enough choice in the vicinity so you don't have to worry about not getting a room somewhere close by so just book the flights already. ;)

Btw: paided!

[edit]
Ninja'd! :ninja:
[/edit]

In my case, flight prices went up, but by booking with Expedia I got the pre-increased price.