Ringmeet 2021 - Aw Balls - making a detour! (August 12th-16th)

I'm still ok for camping thu-mo (car).

I'm still in for thu-mo, one car. Would be willing to switch from hotel to camping / sleeping in car if the alternative location doesn't have anything hotel-ish or there's not enough capacity for everyone.

still coming, camping thu-mon, driving a rental like as usual (not as loud as 2019).

Still coming straight from the post-roadtrip pre-ringmeet-roadtrip, hotel, fine with some driving distance.

I'm undecided, to be honest. On the one hand, I'd like to meet with you guys again since I couldn't attend last year, on the other hand I'm still shocked about what has happened to the Ahr valley and not sure if I'm in the mood to go there right now and have fun... I need to think about it for a bit.

I'm still in with Kristyna and maybe 1-2 friends, camping, thu-mon.

I'll probably only attend as a day visitor like last year.

I wasn't on the list but for the purpose of clarity in this situation, since I still can't enter France or Germany at the moment I suppose there's no chance I can make it. :(

This is what happens when I get a reliable car. :LOL:

Called a campsite I found that might be suitable:

Pros:
+ generally speaking space is available, my preferred spot on their land (off the main campsite) is currently offered to helping organizations if they need space for containers or whatever, but he hasn't heard back and somewhat far away from an actually flooded place, and would rent it out if he doesn't hear back from anyone in a few days
+ he also got a long strip of what is practically 20 camper lots that we could use, we'd probably have to get a bit creative with separating tents/cars and a community area
+ there is a local club that rents out a party tent, but availability is unknown

Cons:
- they have a small selection of rental huts, but they're all either unavailable due to renovations or rented out on the Ringmeet weekend
- there are no hotels in the town in question, only 2 "vacation homes", both are n/a
- I haven't found hotel rooms available closer than 10km in Daun.
- prices are higher than other campsites, although I haven't dug into the details yet or talked to him about a group rate.

The campsite:

Distance to the tourist entrance

Map of the campsite (clickable version here) - definitely available spots are the lots on the bottom right "164 - 198", the strip of green, possibly and preferably available is the yellow-green square on the left with the camper and tent symbols. That is commonly empty, and would be ideal for us, especially since the sanitary installations are there, and not half a mile away like on the other spot.

lp-big.png

So, the question now goes out to everyone, both the campers if you think this would be an ok location with either spots (strip on the road or field in the back), and to the hotel people, if you can/would camp instead, or find a hotel that you need to drive 10-15 minutes to, which reduces drinking options. But if there are some sober people, late night hotel runs could be done, as long as some cars are left at the hotels for people to get back to the campsite.

Since the hotel people have the bigger impact here, I'll tag them for faster response.
@MacGuffin @93Flareside @leviathan @narf @DaBoom @D-Fence @NLZW735 @Mitchi @lip

This is by no means a decisions for this campsite, this is merely the first one I found that seems unaffected and able to accomodate us.

Just to confirm, I am there Thu -> Mon camping. At least one car, the one that's left...

Last edited:
Given the situation, I would be fine with camping, as stated above. Whether tent or car, I can decide on the spot I think - probably car. Yellow spot on the left does indeed seem perfect - large, isolated from the rest (noise!), close to facilities, and judging by the campervan symbol there should be power available.

The yellow square would probably be a better location for us, we'll likely be making noise late into the night and have cars leaving/entering at times that the guests at the campsite might not appreciate. Also closer to sanitary facilities is better.

There is power on all spots. But 220V obviously. I have not enquired about the charging options / capacities of the power network.

The campsite has changed ownership ath the beginning of this year and from what I have found online made a noticable turn for the better since, but is still often not very full based on inherited reputation and the alleged above average pricing.

Called a campsite I found that might be suitable:

Pros:
+ generally speaking space is available, my preferred spot on their land (off the main campsite) is currently offered to helping organizations if they need space for containers or whatever, but he hasn't heard back and somewhat far away from an actually flooded place, and would rent it out if he doesn't hear back from anyone in a few days
+ he also got a long strip of what is practically 20 camper lots that we could use, we'd probably have to get a bit creative with separating tents/cars and a community area
+ there is a local club that rents out a party tent, but availability is unknown

Cons:
- they have a small selection of rental huts, but they're all either unavailable due to renovations or rented out on the Ringmeet weekend
- there are no hotels in the town in question, only 2 "vacation homes", both are n/a
- I haven't found hotel rooms available closer than 10km in Daun.
- prices are higher than other campsites, although I haven't dug into the details yet or talked to him about a group rate.

The campsite:

Distance to the tourist entrance

Map of the campsite (clickable version here) - definitely available spots are the lots on the bottom right "164 - 198", the strip of green, possibly and preferably available is the yellow-green square on the left with the camper and tent symbols. That is commonly empty, and would be ideal for us, especially since the sanitary installations are there, and not half a mile away like on the other spot.

lp-big.png

So, the question now goes out to everyone, both the campers if you think this would be an ok location with either spots (strip on the road or field in the back), and to the hotel people, if you can/would camp instead, or find a hotel that you need to drive 10-15 minutes to, which reduces drinking options. But if there are some sober people, late night hotel runs could be done, as long as some cars are left at the hotels for people to get back to the campsite.

Since the hotel people have the bigger impact here, I'll tag them for faster response.
@MacGuffin @93Flareside @leviathan @narf @DaBoom @D-Fence @NLZW735 @Mitchi @lip

This is by no means a decisions for this campsite, this is merely the first one I found that seems unaffected and able to accomodate us.
The spot looks good. For those unwilling to camp there seem a be a handful of vacation homes, rooms, flats and beds available in the area (10-25 minutes of driving); especially if 2 people or more are sharing, it's attainable.

A tent is not an option for me because I need a power socket next to my bed. That rules out camping.

I checked hotels on booking.com and while there seem to be a few available in a reasonable distance, their prices are all way higher for one single night than what I paid at Weihs for the whole weekend.

Right now, it looks like I'm not going to attend this year.

I don't mind driving 30min to a suitable hotel. I'm doing the same during the roadtrip anyway.

That yellow square seems ideal. Green light from me, go for it.

I did find this Not an Air BnB But Kind of Is. This is 2 minutes by car, 15mins on foot.

email sent, we'll see what they say because of course the pricing isn't listed on their website.

there is also this in the same town. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/355257...on_id=p3_1626714115_5qg2jWN8zTleIPMU&guests=1

Looks like a pretty nice campground to me. You have my OK.