Ringmeet 2021 - Aw Balls - making a detour! (August 12th-16th)

I now have my first shot booked for the 19th, they estimate 11 weeks before the second one. If we need both for Ringmeet then I'll be out, I currently don't appear to meet the criteria to enter France at all. I don't want to book a channel crossing and have France or Germany change their mind last minute.

I now have my first shot booked for the 19th, they estimate 11 weeks before the second one. If we need both for Ringmeet then I'll be out, I currently don't appear to meet the criteria to enter France at all. I don't want to book a channel crossing and have France or Germany change their mind last minute.
Can't you go straight to Germany on some boat?

Can't you go straight to Germany on some boat?
No routes and it would take forever. I'd really like them to extend the car train further into Europe one day so we can get to Germany much quicker while totally avoiding France. Can't be that difficult.

There are ferries from Kingston Upon Hull to Belgium and the Netherlands, but none directly to Germany. But that's theoretical. Even if the UK allowed travel to mainland Europe, chances are that the EU (or Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium or France) won't let Brits in if they really get overrun by the Delta force. Stay safe, my friends.

You don't and won't need vaccination to travel, it'll either be "fine to travel with fresh negative test or proof of full vaccination" or "UK is full of VOC, no travel at all".

PS: How do I know this? Any hard requirement to have vaccination with no alternative will lead to *massive* shouting and likely a swift removal from office for whoever did it, because every politician ever has used every opportunity to ensure the public that there will be no backdoor to forced vaccinations.

Last edited:
You don't and won't need vaccination to travel, it'll either be "fine to travel with fresh negative test or proof of full vaccination" or "UK is full of VOC, no travel at all".
Yeah you don't need one now, France just has a list of 'compelling reasons' to enter the country without. Holiday isn't on it. Will keep an eye on the regulations.

Yeah you don't need one now, France just has a list of 'compelling reasons' to enter the country without. Holiday isn't on it. Will keep an eye on the regulations.
"Transit on the way to somewhere else" isn't on the list either? You're not staying there for longer than you have to after all :p

I'm reasonably sure that transit without stay in the country is allowed in France. So if you leave the same day you get there, nobody should care. At least that was the last time I checked down here. Right now I can freely go back to France for shopping and shit

So far Ringmeet's on mine and Kristyna's calendar and there's at least 3 friends coming with us. The same guys as last year, but fingers crossed for no accidents this time - their bikes will be packed in a van or on a trailer. We'll be tenting, Thu-Sun (maybe Mon)

Current status: I'm in, at least for a day or two. Got some nights booked with the "Special" guy, let's see.

The potato-brained meatsack? "MAMAAAAAA, GET THE NOTEBOOK."

I'm just waiting on the U.S. to lift its restrictions now, I think. C'mon. Coco is BORED.

I'm just waiting on the U.S. to lift its restrictions now, I think. C'mon. Coco is BORED.
Alles gut, wir kann reisen.

The US is somehow no longer a high risk country so as long as you prove you're not a contagious ass, you're good. I forgot I had to check with work because they created a sort of form that we had to sign to discourage travel for either work or personal as it meant we may need to work from home during a prescribed quarantine schedule. So I emailed today and told them where I would be and was told "this is ok, the boss approves it" from personal.

1624388759506.png

So @thomas , how much and when do you need the €€€?

@_Jules_ and I are out officially. There is just no way we will get on a plane back to Germany a week after we moved to Finland. We need some time to not do anything and enjoy our new sauna after what will be six weeks of absolute mayhem.

Check out our Blog, though!

@_Jules_ and I are out officially. There is just no way we will get on a plane back to Germany a week after we moved to Finland. We need some time to not do anything and enjoy our new sauna after what will be six weeks of absolute mayhem.

Check out our Blog, though!

Sad about you and Jules not making it, but happy for you on your new adventures.

And awesome domain name for the blog :LOL:

I talked to Christoph from the campsite earlier, and so far so good, except that he has trouble finding a party tent to rent right now. We've had that issue in the past with flaky rental places ever since the VS owned tents went swimming in the flood.. Last year we were told to find a different one to rent 4 days before ringmeet. We did, well, he did, but we also ended up paying nearly 180 euros for the weekend with taxes, where we used to pay 75 per tent before, and we only got one tent.

So I've been thinking and I'd like to gauge the interest among people attending, this year or any, regarding the following idea: I thought about basically "crowd funding" a proper party tent that we buy and leave at VS. We'd get to use it for free and they can rent it out to cover repairs where needed. That way we have a guaranteed tent, but we don't need to store it somewhere.

OH yeah, pricing for the one we rented last year is 579 to 659 Euros btw. Bigger and better is obviously approaching 4 digits. And I haven't checked other brands yet.
Feedback, please.

Last edited:
I talked to Christoph from the campsite earlier, and so far so good, except that he has trouble finding a party tent to rent right now. We've had that issue in the past with flaky rental places ever since the VS owned tents went swimming in the flood.. Last year we were told to find a different one to rent 4 days before ringmeet. We did, well, he did, but we also ended up paying nearly 180 euros for the weekend with taxes, where we used to pay 75 per tent before, and we only got one tent.

So I've been thinking and I'd like to gauge the interest among people attending, this year or any, regarding the following idea: I thought about basically "crowd funding" a proper party tent that we buy and leave at VS. We'd get to use it for free and they can rent it out to cover repairs where needed. That way we have a guaranteed tent, but we don't need to store it somewhere.

Feedback, please.

I am down for this - What does a "proper" tent cost?

I am down for this - What does a "proper" tent cost?
Added to my post. What we rented in 4x8 from the same manufacturer is 579 or 659 depending on which strut diameter it was. Their even stronger lineup doesn't come on 4x8 but starts at 5x6 for 879.

Also, I haven't talked to VS about this yet, they might not want this, but I'll get to get if this actually turns into a plan.