Ringmeet MMXV August 7th-9th 2015: Planning thread

Ringmeet MMXV August 7th-9th 2015: Planning thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My intention is that I will make a list of a couple cool things that are nearby, give a short summary, add distance and costs, and people can then decide themselves whether or not they want to go anywhere.

I'm up for doing something other than nothing and I suggest Friday is probably the best day to do a proper, whole day trip instead of just hanging around waiting for the later arrivals.

Can I also be the first to call for the reintroduction of the Scenic Drive since it hasn't happened since I started attending? Leave about 11 on Saturday, drive for 60-90 minutes to somewhere picturesque for a spot of lunch and then drive back to Br?nnchen for some standing around perhaps?

While I've usually stuck around for the full 4 days, I've never actually had time to do anything touristy. While some might see it as standing around, doing nothing, it's the best time for random chatting as there's nothing else you need to focus on. I've never even made it to the actual OGP event, even if I'm interested and sort of planned it earlier..

So, while I'm interested in extra activities I'm not sure if I'll attend. Making it to the OGP is once again in my plans.. :D And I support scenic drive as well.

I'm up for doing something other than nothing and I suggest Friday is probably the best day to do a proper, whole day trip instead of just hanging around waiting for the later arrivals.

Can I also be the first to call for the reintroduction of the Scenic Drive since it hasn't happened since I started attending? Leave about 11 on Saturday, drive for 60-90 minutes to somewhere picturesque for a spot of lunch and then drive back to Br?nnchen for some standing around perhaps?

Well, a drive down (or up) the Rhine valley definitely qualifies as a scenic drive.

And I fully support Adu's plan.

So day trip on the Friday to the Regierungsbunker plus something else if we feel there might be time and a Rhine Scenic Drive on the Saturday for those who are interested?

Count me in for both.

I like the sound of both, I'm sure I can drag myself out of the tent in time.

In that case I suggest the bunker on the Saturday as a half-day trip since it's close enough and those who have to leave on the Sunday won't miss out and the Rhine Scenic Drive to include something else interesting on the Friday. Weather dependent of course - if it's fine on the Saturday and pissing down on the Sunday then we can do the Bunker then since tourist drives will be a no-no anyway.

Pretty much all of that appeals to me. Since I won't be bringing a vehicle 'Ring laps for me will be shotgun (I do want to get some in anyway) and we have the evenings for catching up, chatting, beer etc I would love the chance to get out and see a bit more of the area.

I'd prefer something on Saturday, on Friday Joe and I (and possibly his craziness on two wheels) are going to Cologne, like last year.

That's evening isn't it?

Yeah, but we'd need to leave in the afternoon, so if it's a full day event, there might be a scheduling fracas.

Nothing to stop you leaving to head off when you want to and taking part up until that point. As long as enough cars have available space it wouldn't be an issue.

Driving up and down the Rhine valley (as an example) doesn't take an eternity. If you're starting around 10 a.m., you'll easily be back by 2 p.m.

Reactions: lip
I've completed the initial list of things. If you have suggestions for adding stuff to the list, give me a shout and I will add them.

- - - Updated - - -

Hehehe, start at 10 :D

Yes, some people are up before noon, even during ringmeet.

Initially I'm on the same wavelength as MXM and DaBoom: It's me holidays FFS and hanging' around with others on the FG lawn is in no way boring. - I was at the 2013 Ringmeet and I didn't miss any organized proceedings.

But I do get MacGuffins point too, as I already did then what he's suggesting: For example during the early mornings when everybody else was still asleep (or still knocked out in some cases thehe), I simply took my car and went on a scenic drive. So I don't have any problems to do this with others in a more organized manner: The landscape is beautiful, the roads are great and man do I love driving for the sake of it.

So going on a half-day mid-ringmeet roadtrip for a Rhine valley visit for example is a nice idea. I'm game. - So during Ringmeet, if you think it's time, just speak up and then off we go. :)

A thing that is very worth seeing is the old town of Ahrweiler ... beautiful old houses and so on. I mean, it also made it to the Picture mode of Gran Turismo 5 that got to mean something :p. Also there a a few dirttracks around Bad Neuenahr/Ahrweiler up in the wineyards, that give you a nice site above town. Ain't worth staying up there for hours, but for a quick "drive by" just right. Also if you walk up the ruin in Altenahr you get a nice view above the town aswell.
And if you are interested in driving along a river you should mention the "Mosel" aswell. Also beatiful, to drive along there.
Then there is the "Kaiser-Wilhelm-Turm", a viewpoint up the highst point of The Eifel, "Hohe Acht". Gives you a nice view over the area. And up on the N?rburg you get quite a nice view aswell. But that ain't for free (costs around 2/3 Euro, if I remeber right)...
The Telescopic thing near Effelsberg is pretty impressive to look at at. I can't describe how a guided tour is, since I didn't take part in that.

Edit: Ups, Old town of Ahrweiler already made it to the list :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lip