Ringmeet MMXV August 7th-9th 2015: Planning thread

Ringmeet MMXV August 7th-9th 2015: Planning thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nothing to stop you leaving your little cul-de-sac and heading somewhere else.....

Except the fact that my holidays are used up and the only public holiday left this year falls on a saturday. Next time I have some freetime, will be Christmas and for that (for obvious reasons) I have other obligations.

Last edited:
Is that a new trend? Visiting the Ringmeeters at home? :D

I take you haven't heard about me entertaining a FinalGear crew over nye at my home for the past 4 years?

Yes, that I have heard of :)

I keep telling people but nobody will listen. Doing a Roadtrip in Ukania is a really bad idea, particularly at the traditional time of late July/early August when anything resembling a decent road will be chock full of caravans, motor homes and Zafiras bulging with whining, puking children.

This country basically has a few tiny enclaves of great roads separated by gridlock, there are Gatsos bloody everywhere, fuel and beer are not cheap and most campsites are full of the kind of people you really don't want to get into a conversation with unless you want to partake in line-dancing or wife-swapping.

See here for the expanded argument.....

I think the idea was to end at the Goodwood FOS.

Awesome cars, without the douchebags.

I keep telling people but nobody will listen. Doing a Roadtrip in Ukania is a really bad idea, particularly at the traditional time of late July/early August when anything resembling a decent road will be chock full of caravans, motor homes and Zafiras bulging with whining, puking children.

This country basically has a few tiny enclaves of great roads separated by gridlock, there are Gatsos bloody everywhere, fuel and beer are not cheap and most campsites are full of the kind of people you really don't want to get into a conversation with unless you want to partake in line-dancing or wife-swapping.

See here for the expanded argument.....

Well, it'll be probably too expensive, especially with the idea of buying sub 500 quid topless beaters locally.

I'd like plan B to be something on the french/italian alpine passes, with a return leg through schwarzwald. Possibly starting in Slovenia again and then continuing into italy, france, then germany and ending at the ring campsite.

Well, it'll be probably too expensive, especially with the idea of buying sub 500 quid topless beaters locally.

I'd like plan B to be something on the french/italian alpine passes, with a return leg through schwarzwald. Possibly starting in Slovenia again and then continuing into italy, france, then germany and ending at the ring campsite.

I think I will be on the Plan B trip as well. The idea of spending a week or so of my vacation on British roads has no appeal whatsoever.

If we are doing the Alps again how about FG Mini Roadtrip II - Piss Off the Swiss? Have a mass car wash outside a Swiss police station on a Sunday and see if we can get them to arrest us?

I've always wanted to repeat some roads we did on the first trip: Stelvio, Fl?elpass, Passo Giau... quite a few we missed due to roadtrip stuff happening.
Connected differently of course, so it's not the same. Tim and I thought of organizing around that idea for next year.

A roadtrip that is a bit more about seening things doesn't sound too bad either though. Connecting LeMans, Spa and Goodwood for example. Still lots of driving, but the destinations are more meaningful.

I have no desire whatsoever to drive through switzerland. That coould end with us in jail and broke.

I have no desire whatsoever to drive through switzerland. That coould end with us in jail and broke.

You'd be missing out then. They have some of the greatest passes on the alps, both driving and scenery-wise. And all things aren't that expensive there (food is one thing that is though). Also, while I still prefer Alps in general compared to any other place I've been to so far, I prefer going to new places. Never been to UK, which is the main reason why I suggested it..

Last edited:
And Alps are filled with cyclists, and Germany is one big construction site, and Norway is going to make you broke and they'll put you in jail for speeding, and in eastern Europe you're going to be murdered and potholes will destroy your car... Come on, Matt, don't be a buzzkill ;) We'll cross your shitty country eventually and will have fun in Scotland. There are always redeeming qualities.

And Alps are filled with cyclists, and Germany is one big construction site, and Norway is going to make you broke and they'll put you in jail for speeding, and in eastern Europe you're going to be murdered and potholes will destroy your car... Come on, Matt, don't be a buzzkill ;) We'll cross your shitty country eventually and will have fun in Scotland. There are always redeeming qualities.

Don't say I didn't warn you. Happy to help with the planning though. And fuck Scotland. The English Lake District is where it's at.

The allure of a British road trip is mainly that I've been to London twice and that's about it. I'm really eager to see a lot more of Britain, and driving through it is a handy way.

German B-roads this year were awesome.

That sounds like fun: Drive through Germany without using the Autobahn. No tourist would ever get that idea, since they all want to go on ze unrestricted Autobahn :p

But do you think of a grand tour that covers all the major landscapes from North to South and West to East or do you want specific destinations on the way, for instance the Autostadt Wolfsburg or The Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg? I could be of assistance in planning, if needed. I've been up and down the country during my time in the air force.

Last edited:
It's been more then an decade ago that I have been in the UK, I'll probably take the risk and adventure of an traffic jam caused by campervans. :):cool:

and in eastern Europe you're going to be murdered and potholes will destroy your car...

OI! I object to that, we don't have that many potholes :D it's the Easterner Europe for that.
Can't guarantee on the whole murdering thing.

Also, since we're on the subject, I'd just like to chime in that I'll be proposing a Balkan roadtrip for 2017 or 2018 (when 47,5 is old enough to leave wih someone for a week :D )
Yes, I know you've been here but the roadtrip crew hasn't been further then Rijeka. I'm thinking Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Macedonia. Should be at least cheaper the Norway or UK :)