RIP : Another Mclaren F1 gone

Hmm. Credit crunch + car insured for 3 million + make small hole in fuel pipe = 3million in the pocket. How convenient. Hopefully it won't be a write off.

Hmm. Credit crunch + car insured for 3 million + make small hole in fuel pipe = 3million in the pocket. How convenient. Hopefully it won't be a write off.

If the owner deliberately set the F1 on fire, then he should be set on fire as well.

Well first of all rich people usually know nothing of cars and they sell the car after a while so you dont want heaps and heaps of Km's on it and keep it in the best condition it can.

And when you are driving around on public roads there are many variable and a highers statistical chance something may happen with all the loonies in the world and if you didnt park somewhere private and with proper security idiots like to put a big scratch mark on nice cars.

Dude this a car that goes something like 240mph (Don't remember off the top of my head) has a gold plated engine and costs $2mil. Responsibility doesn't even enter into it. Not to mention I didn't say I would park it but I would drive it around.

I doubt someone who knows nothing about cars would get an F1.

thats hard luck.... ouch....least he was insured, but whats gonna happen? will mclaren have spare F1 bodies lying around? could they make one on special order?...give him an SLR 722 as a token gesture or put him on the list for their next supermachine? or is he just gonna have to take the insurance pay out and buy something else?

I think McLaren would do a new frame if you had enough $$$.

Then again, you own a McLaren F1, so $$$ shouldn't be too much of an issue. Even if you went on the waiting list for the next McLaren supercar, the "collector's appeal" of the F1 is priceless.

Mclaren still treats these cars as if they were new. When a car is sold, it is shipped back to the factory for a full service and light restoration. Mclaren, and Gordan Murray, are still VERY MUCH involved with the F1's. This car will be rebuilt.

The Bugatti may be faster, but to me it will never be a Mclaren. I still believe the F1 is the greatest car ever made and I hope I'll be able to buy one at some point. Its a good goal I'd say.

I'm going to come out and say I'd take a Ferrari F40 or Pagani Zonda F over the McLaren or Bugatti.

AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST.

(jk)

That being said though, I'd like to see someone get some castings of the heads on this car so we can start chucking them on regular BMW V12s. Cause I've never really been partial to the F1, but I AM partial to the 8 series.

(But if we're talking all out expense and supercar status, for me it has to be the TVR Cerbera Speed Twelve, or the Cizeta V16T.)

:D

All I see is the making of the world's first McLaren Ute with a small block.

McLaren can rebuild that car. As for whether they will, we may never know.

McLaren can rebuild that car. As for whether they will, we may never know.

Yeah they werent exactly built on an assembly line in the first place so just making new parts isnt that big of a deal... They do fabricate their own F1 cars. It's just about whether or not anyone is going to pay for that. Hopefully the motor is fine, though, I doubt BMW will replace any of those engine parts.

My thoughts exactly. He said...

Kessler told firefighters it was worth about $2 million and was insured for $3 million, Lantz said.

That tells me he's cheating the insurance company.

All I see is the making of the world's first McLaren Ute with a small block.

+1 Instead of a SBC how about the M5/M6 engine?

I'd say it's not dead, not at all. Cars like this get restored/fixed after near total destruction all the time. The Enzo for example, is completely repair-able and Ferrari will do it as long as the (very very strong) carbon tub is intact. I'm sure the McLaren is similar especially since it's legendary; moreso than the Enzo which is merely the third release in a line of special edition cars by Ferrari. (interesting fact, there are at LEAST 406 Enzos out there. They'll still build you one if you have the money and connections.)

And afaik, McLaren still services the F1 and even updated the modem used to connect to the factory.

(interesting fact, there are at LEAST 406 Enzos out there. They'll still build you one if you have the money and connections.)

So can I beg, bribe and blackmale Porsche to build me a new Carrera GT? :mrgreen: