RIP : Another Mclaren F1 gone

MadCow809

Forum Addict
$2 million McLaren burns up on Airport Boulevard

Smoke began billowing from the back of the exotic sports car as it travelled down Airport Boulevard late Monday morning. By the time the driver had exited through his gull-wing door to check on the trouble, flames had engulfed the rear.

But this was no ordinary car fire.

A $2 million rare silver McLaren V-1 road car, one of only about 100 made, was ruined, shortly before 11 a.m.

The car, with Oregon license plates, was owned and driven by Irv Kessler, 53, of Minnesota. But he declined to discuss the incident.

?It hadn?t been driven in six months,? said John Lantz, Rincon Valley assistant fire chief. ?They took it out yesterday and today and started having some kind of problem with it,? Lantz said he was told by Kessler.

As Kessler drove on Airport Boulevard, someone noticed smoke coming from the back and alerted him. The engine then caught fire and flames burned the back of the car, Lantz said.

Rincon Valley firefighters found the car still burning and quickly doused it before it spread to the passenger compartment.

?It burned the back of the car off,? Lantz said.

The F1 coupe was built in 1995, reportedly one of about 100 versions of the supercar, and features the driver?s seat in the middle of the cab, with two seats behind the driver.

McLaren?s website says the car was built as ?the world?s first production road car to feature an all carbon composite monocoque and body structure,? using Formula One racing technology on the road.

Kessler told firefighters it was worth about $2 million and was insured for $3 million, Lantz said.

Sauce : http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090601/ARTICLES/906019961/0/OPINION04

How Unfortunate. Sad to see these priceless cars disappear one by one

That really is a shame. And there's not even any rich idiot we can blame it on....

That really is a shame. And there's not even any rich idiot we can blame it on....

You could blame the owner who hadn't driven it in 6 months. ;)

^ You didnt think that through properly did you?

We all would want to drive it everyday if we had one but that isnt very responsible is it?

^ You didnt think that through properly did you?

We all would want to drive it everyday if we had one but that isnt very responsible is it?

:blink: Why isn't it "responsible" ?

Well first of all rich people usually know nothing of cars and they sell the car after a while so you dont want heaps and heaps of Km's on it and keep it in the best condition it can.

And when you are driving around on public roads there are many variable and a highers statistical chance something may happen with all the loonies in the world and if you didnt park somewhere private and with proper security idiots like to put a big scratch mark on nice cars.

And this is why no exotic on the planet should be without a fire extinguisher.

Looks repairable to me? :dunno:

nah, they need to redo the whole monocoque, plus a new engine.

too much repair work, it's a write off.

Well first of all rich people usually know nothing of cars and they sell the car after a while so you dont want heaps and heaps of Km's on it and keep it in the best condition it can.

What if they're not interested in selling ? Also saying rich people don't know much about cars is an overused stereotype. I actually think most would have some idea about cars especially if they're spending millions on them.

Wouldn't you have to replace most of the vehicle if there was any major frame damage though? At least one totaled Enzo was rebuilt, this F1 might be in the same boat.

I believe it will be restored. There are something like 70 left on the planet, and if it still has a VIN I can't see it being scrapped.

Wouldn't you have to replace most of the vehicle if there was any major frame damage though? At least one totaled Enzo was rebuilt, this F1 might be in the same boat.

Yeah, but they ordered a lot of parts from Ferarri, you won't get that luxury with a car that hasn't been made for over a decade - everything's going to have to be custom made.

nah, they need to redo the whole monocoque, plus a new engine.

too much repair work, it's a write off.

Since this is a McLaren F1 we're talking about, I'm sure someone will take up the challenge.

Many completely rusted out Bugatti, Merc, etc are restored even though they might be complete rust buckets because of how rare they are. I hope this F1 gets the same treatment.