RIP Lada classic

bone

"bangle for president"
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
after 41 years production of THE lada, the classic or 2101-7 has ended :(

Surf over to www.lada.ru, and click on ???????????? (automobiles), and you?ll find four model lines: Priora, Kalina, Samara and the classic, Putin-favored 4?4. Not pictured in the lineup, but still present in a sidebar on the site, is a link for one more model: the 2107. The first 2107 (then called the 2101), was built in April, 1970, developed off the internals of the Fiat 124, which itself was already four years old. And ever since 1970, the 2101 ?Classic? has been rolling off an assembly line in Tolyatti, providing over 16.8 million sets of cheap wheels (MSRP: about $7,500)? and the model accounts for two-thirds of all Ladas ever built. But, reports Automotive News Europe [sub]?s Luca Ciferri:

The Classic was scheduled to die at the end of 2009 when sales began fading, but the Russian government scrappage program introduced in March 2010 gave it a new lease of life. Helped by the incentive, Classic sales last year doubled to 136,006, making it Russia best-selling car by far. In the first half of this year, sales grew 35 percent to 69,500.

But the scrapping program ended in May, heralding the end for the Classic.

The Lada Classic will be replaced by the Lada Granta, which was launched inauspiciously, when, in a scene straight from ?Borat,? the car refused to start for President Vladimir Putin. But perhaps, if the Granta is built for another 40 years, car writers will be looking back fondly at it someday.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/07/after-a-whole-lada-production-a-russian-classic-retires/

lada-2107-3435_2l.jpg

so if you want a cheap drifter, it's time to run to your local lada dealer!!!

I really like those a lot more than VW Beetles.

Same here, a nice VFTS kitted Lada with sidedraughts would be a fantastic car to have. Rest in peace, kepe?t mullat.

well, to be honest most people probably thought it went out of production 20 years ago anyways.

o/

I had no idea it was still being built.

Crap, now I have to buy the Iran Khodro Bardo if I want a really old new car! Or a VW Santana.

Last edited:
Are they still building the Hindustan Ambassador in India?

Hindustan_Ambassador.jpg

Which is of course, essentially a mid 50s Morris Oxford Series III with an 1980s engine... Oh and the VW T2 van is still built with a watercooled engine in Brazil IIRC.

Iran Khodro Bardo

Was that the one based on the Hillman Hunter?

a few years ago i took a closer look at a new one at the brussels auto salon, and the car was already rusting :lol:

This is a sad sad day for car lovers around the world.

:lol:
J/K, but I'll still miss it, just a bit.

The Canadian version, the signet was sold here in the 80s. They still occasionally pop up for sale for next to nothing and I've come close to buying one a couple of times. Maybe when I have the space I get one and turn it into a awesome winter beater.

The Canadian version, the signet was sold here in the 80s. They still occasionally pop up for sale for next to nothing and I've come close to buying one a couple of times. Maybe when I have the space I get one and turn it into a awesome winter beater.

They are very cool. The guy I sold my Lada Niva to had one with a twin cam fiat motor in it. Pretty bitchin'.

Lada + Twincam = win.

Now i just need to get mine running...

Was this the Lada that Jeremy drove in season 12?

4%204%20with%20wires%20rear%202.jpg

morgan76.jpg

/thread

Is that a rethorical question?

What the hell does VW sell over there!? Gol, Gol4, SpaceFox, Saveiro, Parati?
:lol: I love how "elevated suspension" is a feature over there.

Motion to give all owners of poorly slammed VWs Brazilian Gol Rallyes.