• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Road Test: BMW M6 (2005-)

Overheat

Forum Addict
With a thunderous 500bhp V10 that can trace its roots to Formula One, a top speed of 205mph and a pricetag of ?80,000, the M6 is an awesome rival to the upcoming Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Read the review here:
http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/B/bmw/m605-/m605-.html

05-m6-f3q-f.jpg
05-m6-r3q-f.jpg

05-m6-engine.jpg
05-m6-int.jpg

the problem:

"Verdict
You'll have to want that coupe style-statement very badly to pay a ?20,000 premium over the equally awesome M5 saloon.

Your call..."

This is what's gonna make ppl want to buy the M5 instead .. why the extra ?20,000 ??? damn ..

haz

I really don't think that people will think about buying an AMV8 or M6...

M6 is more the DB9/Vanquish category...

Anyway: The M6 is lighter than the M5... Should make a little difference... It has Carbon fibre roof which is good for a lower centre of gravity... Should be the better drive, at the limit at least...

Buba

but not worth the extra ?20,000 IMO ... not that I have driven any of the two M cars tho .. hehe ..

haz

Buba said:
I really don't think that people will think about buying an AMV8 or M6...

M6 is more the DB9/Vanquish category...

Anyway: The M6 is lighter than the M5... Should make a little difference... It has Carbon fibre roof which is good for a lower centre of gravity... Should be the better drive, at the limit at least...

Buba
I agree with you on the M6/DB9 match up. The M3 is closer to the AMV8, seeing how it kinda competes with the 911 Carrera, which is the car Aston Martin is aiming the AMV8 at as well.

I'd still take the M5 though, even if they were similarly priced, but that's just me.

I agree that it should have the side vents and im sure the performance would negate all styling issues....that said I WANT THIS CAR...

...until they bring out the next one, which will probably have a carbon fibre bonnet and boot, produce 600BHP from the same engine and used less fuel while doing it and "corner like it was painted to the road" and the cost would bankrupt several middle eastern countries.

in other words... these cars, i feel, are like computers. You buy them, use them and when the "Next Big Thing?" comes along you feel ripped off and angry at the company for not telling you that a more powerful model was 'just around the corner'

I for one think that BMW should stop making fettled versions of ugly cars and make a proper supercar, something along the lines of the Enzo or the McLaren F1, a super high performance car with soul. made in very limited numbers (500 or so) and at a price that WILL bankrupt all the middle eastern countries!

thats my excuse and im sticking to it

I suppose every 6 is more expensive than a 5
so you could ask why would you want a 645 when you can get a 545 for less.

Suppose there will always be people who like coupe, how it distinguish them from practicality. 4 door is a taxi, you buy it to ferry people around. 2 door is a real driving car, something for you to enjoy, no passenger please thank you very much.

And some would buy it for the fact that it cost ?20000 more. Simply for the fact of my car cost more than yours.

Wonder if they will build something similar to M6 CSL though. Or compete like AM with their DB9 in races ... would be cool.

I disagree on the "BMW should build a super car" issue, I think it is too late to get in to that market...however I do want to see a replacement for the Z8...sometihng with class and style...but with atcual driving dynamics this time

i for one don't think M6 is an expensive car. rather, i think M5 is a very cheap car for what it is.

because there's an E39 M5, BMW obviously cannot priced the E60 M5 way higher than the car it replaces. however, because there's no reference for BMW to set the price of M6 at, it's safe to assume what they are asking for M6 is more or less what they are paying to have it build.

seriously, with the performance M5 has, and all the technologically advance device, and that fabulous M5, how can BMW earn any money by selling the M5 at MSRP?

YipMing said:
Wonder if they will build something similar to M6 CSL though.

I truly doubt that, bc the m6 already has carbon fibre and so. So making a csl version of it would be difficult and very expensive. The m6, I think, already is a csl.

Greetz Johan

freerider said:
YipMing said:
Wonder if they will build something similar to M6 CSL though.

I truly doubt that, bc the m6 already has carbon fibre and so. So making a csl version of it would be difficult and very expensive. The m6, I think, already is a csl.

Greetz Johan

a M6 CSL is never a question. they will build it, it's just a matter of time.
and you can quote me on that.

If I had the money I would get a M3 and a M6.

Then something like an Enzo to go really fast in on track days.

bren_35 said:
I for one think that BMW should stop making fettled versions of ugly cars and make a proper supercar, something along the lines of the Enzo or the McLaren F1, a super high performance car with soul. made in very limited numbers (500 or so) and at a price that WILL bankrupt all the middle eastern countries!
Actually, if BMW made that car I guarantee you that you'd see a few in the middle east. We lika ze fast cars. ;)

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
jasonchiu said:
interior looks amazingly boring
Yeah it does :thumbsdown: Wheres the stereo or is that controled via I-Drive?

Yes, of course. :wall: I think they only have a separate knob for the volume.