• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Road Test: Lexus IS250

Overheat

Forum Addict
06-is-f3q-st.jpg
06-is-r3q-a.jpg

06-is-f-i.jpg
06-is-s-st.jpg

If you're engaged in a bit of badge warfare with your Mondeo-driving neighbour, the German squad still remains the default choice, so you go for a BMW 3-Series, or an Audi A4, or a Mercedes Benz C-Class. The messages these three project are subtly different, but if the chief aim is to make yourself feel superior to Mr Mondeo, it's job done.

If, however, you have a bit more imagination and measure the worth of a car on more substantial evidence than received wisdom, here's a Lexus to consider. The IS is an all-new car to replace the previous model, which had soldiered on for seven years and was really showing its age. Longer, wider, stiffer, better-made and better-looking, the latest IS is the most credible rival yet to the established order.

There's a 204bhp V6 petrol engine on offer, but much more significantly, the IS offers up the first-ever diesel engine to grace a Lexus of any description. It's an all-alloy 2.2-litre unit with 175bhp.

With the addition of a diesel engine, which the company reckons will outsell the petrol engine by two to one, Lexus is getting very serious about the company car market. That's also why the car has been engineered to be less expensive to repair than rivals, and also less costly to insure.

Read the review here: http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/L/lexus/is05-/is05-.html

Watch the video here: http://www.channel4.com/4car/video/test-drives/index.html

so cheeper to insure, cheeper to repair, only needs repair if you the owner screws up (hey it a lexus) and jeremy clarkson likes it (it did get a top gear award)
i still dont thik it going to hurt BMW in europe .. and i love the new IS

My friend just got an IS350 with the sports package. It's a very good alternative to the 3-series and A4. It's much better equipped and has a VERY nice navigation system. The sports package gets super stiff suspension . . . it's stiffer than on an M3 or S4! It's pointless to have on something like a Lexus.

It's not the sportiest. The steering wheel is as dead as any old Toyota. That being said, it handles well but not in a BMW sort of way. You do get REAL downforce and you can feel it too. The faster you go the more stable the car becomes. I love how the gauges turn orange then red according to engine speed. The 6-speed paddle shift automatic still lags a bit too much.

I just HATE how you get 300hp in the IS350 but you can't turn the traction control off. My friend works at a Lexus dealer so I took one for a drive. When I tried to slide it through a turn, the car took control of itself and didn't even let me have fun!

The IS350 is said to go from 0-60mph in anything from 5.1 to 6.0 seconds. In my experience, it's definately a 6.0 second car. It doesn't feel fast because it's so damn quiet and smooth. BAH! I hate Toyotas!

Kebab gud said:
6seconds? so is that with a full tank and 2-3 peopel in the car?
is the sport pack makes the car striffer then the M3 then the IS350 sport truly is a competitor to the current M3..
i hear that its not as "connected" as an M3. and it does 0-60 in less than 5.5, im almost positive that its been tested.
i hate lexus's pricing, when buying a car you HAVE to get a package which are atleast a few grand. and if you want a nav system, you end up spending an extra 4 grand for the different soundsystem, power rear seats etc etc.

from what i read no one has tested the "sport"
and i know how mutch better the sport was regarding the old IS

the offisiall 0-60 number is 5,3sec.. but i know it has been tested to do 5,1..
if im not mistaken the mk4 Supra had the same figures (5,3)

bartboy9891 said:
i hate lexus's pricing, when buying a car you HAVE to get a package which are atleast a few grand. and if you want a nav system, you end up spending an extra 4 grand for the different soundsystem, power rear seats etc etc.

I guess most people hate it too, but the bad thing is that most manufacturers are doing that right now. Most of the time the only option I want is a sunroof.

I read on in an article on www.fark.com that there is a secret Nintendo like code you can perform with this car that disengages one (or all) of the stability control units. It's somthing like pull the ebrake, press the brake pedal 3x and hold, then release the ebrake.... I dunno if thats the actualy sequence but just thought it was cool.

No Boss said:
I read on in an article on www.fark.com that there is a secret Nintendo like code you can perform with this car that disengages one (or all) of the stability control units. It's somthing like pull the ebrake, press the brake pedal 3x and hold, then release the ebrake.... I dunno if thats the actualy sequence but just thought it was cool.

reminds me of the time with the souped up scooters, and all the tricks to fool the cops. to go fast you first had to pull the front brake 3 times long, 2 times short. or you had to go with a magnet over a special place, or even some had remote control to their engine so they could set it to max speed of 20kmh. sometimes the cops found it, but it was so funny when they didn't. they just knew you were able to go 100, but on their dyno it only reached 17 :lol:

Kebab gud said:
6seconds? so is that with a full tank and 2-3 peopel in the car?
is the sport pack makes the car striffer then the M3 then the IS350 sport truly is a competitor to the current M3..

The Lexus still doesn't feel like a car. It feels more like you're being drifted away in a cloud. Even though the car is fast, I'm afraid to do so because I have no idea what the hell is going on with it.

The sport pack has stiffer suspension . . . which defeats the whole purpose of owning a Lexus. If I wanted a sporty sedan, I'd go for a 330i w/ M sport or an A4 w/ S-line.

No Boss said:
its true, it turns the DSC off i think

Start the car with the parking brake on
Foot brake twice....
(keep the foot brake down)....
Parking brake twice
(keep it down )
and repeat till skid light is on the dash

I am going to try this the next time I see my friend.

I heard the IS has electrically assisted steering so the car automatically countersteers for you. So what's the point of buying a 300hp RWD car now???