Roadrunner HS Internet users

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
This pertains to all Time Warner Cable's Roadrunner internet users. I just have a question:

What sort of speeds do you guys get during peak and off times?

I remember before I left for Cal 4.5 years ago that the speed was around 4.4 Mbps.

When I came back though, things seemed faster and I was hitting 9-10 Mbps.

For torrent downloads, especially if I get one with tons of seeds, I'm seeing that the dl can get upto 1.3+ MBps or 10.4 Mbps.

Just wanted to know if this was a typical upgrade for other people (if this is that turbo boost that they keep touting) or if it's something else altogether.

Obviously this isn't a complaint, who in their right mind would say "I DEMAND SLOWER SPEEDS!" :p

I'm just wondering where this magical extra 5 Mbps came from.

Yo LukerPatrol,

In the Inland Empire a loong time ago (~4yrs ago) Adelphia used to be the only high speed ISP. I paid for their normal ~3Mb connection, but I always got 10 since it was a new service and not many people had it.

Then Time Warner took over, and the speeds went down a bit (was at 5/.5 for a while) but now as you said, it looks like they have gone up. now with Time Warner we pay for 15/1 mbit. I get about 12/1.5 (just did a test) during peak. ive gotten up to 20 down in off peak before. It seems like the upoad rate is capped though.

They probably just improved their network or something, maybe added some more fiber lines that freed up traffic near your area. But ive always gotten much faster than I pay for in my area except for that brief time when Time Warner was first introduced into my area.

Course we bothve been spoiled by cal's internet and no matter how fast our home connection is itll never be fast enough ;)

Last edited:
Course we bothve been spoiled by cal's internet and no matter how fast our home connection is itll never be fast enough ;)

You can say that again. Boy do I miss downloading a gig of files in 5 minutes.

20Mbps down, 1 Mbps up. Consistently within 90% of that. Solid service. Been a customer for like seven years. They'll leave you alone if you don't upload excessively or generate copyright complaints.

I don't get 20Mbps, more like 15, but I've never had any problems with them. The Turbo Boost only last for the first 30 seconds or so, after that its back to 15.

You can say that again. Boy do I miss downloading a gig of files in 5 minutes.

lol i member in the dorms 2 yrs ago i ran over my weekly 8GB cap in 10 minutes...by 12:10AM on monday haha. but it was all good, stealin other peoples bandwidth wasnt too hard. Wish could get 100/100 connection over on campus wireless.

Last edited: