Roadtrip 2014 - Patent Pending

Basically I replaced the water pump and managed to snag and break one of the O-rings between the pump and the block. Put it all back together; added water, which it promptly dumped under the car. It was an incredibly simple fix - just replace the broken O-ring. Oh and by the way its literally the deepest fucking thing in this job. I decided to remove the exhaust manifold (and studs) since that was easier than wrestling with the pump around it again. That's the kind of job this was.

It held water fine then, and seemed fine when up to temperature, but will inspect further in the morning as it was dark by the time I was finished.

1. Damn, I haven't even started my journey, and Dave has already snaged the prestigious breakdown win. - Ahem, Congratulations! :lol:

2. For sure I'm chipping in for the Roaming costs.

3. The Blue Peter is off the mast, the Swiss Barge will set sail in the next hour. I'm going to visit friends in Germany today, and then will use the Sunday and the Monday to drive trough Austria and Hungary to Romania. - See ya!

Soooo...

Fairlady and Adrian are on their way to wherever they are heading, I'm outta here, too. See you guys in Romania! :driving:

1. Damn, I haven't even started my journey, and Dave has already snaged the prestigious breakdown win. - Ahem, Congratulations!

Technically it was planned maintenance that overran. Plus it all happened before I set off.

However I have now set off and am on the way to Kent before tomorrow morning's cross channel train :)

404 caption not found

Mmm... beer

The HMS Saab II ready to launch

Better than a fish sitcker?

I kinda doubt it...

Lovely weather for a roadtrip

I sense a pattern

Ronja! (and tim)

The fartcan also arrives

On the road again...

On the way to Spa

IN A RUSTY FRENCH CAR! SEND HELP!

But before that, make sure to check your nuts

THE BRITISH ARE COMING!

And bringing their weather with them

Last edited:
I hate that I am missing out on this!

But keep the pictures coming, at least I can see what happens a long the way

I hop you guys weren't planning on getting onto the track at Spa this weekend, because there's a massive VW meet going on at the moment. :p

I hop you guys weren't planning on getting onto the track at Spa this weekend, because there's a massive VW meet going on at the moment. :p

There is indeed, one of my friends from work is there with his bus.

I hate that I am missing out on this!

But keep the pictures coming, at least I can see what happens a long the way

:nod:

Can't wait to see you at the meet.

So rusty

Should last a few hours

I can smell the rust from here!

But first, let me tweet about it. :?

Accomodations for the finns

@ joe's pad

aka, the Fortnightly Frontier studio #2

Such phone, so social media, wow

Yeehaw?

1st leg to a camping site near G?rlitz done some hours ago and had a swim in the lake nearby, right before Berlin there was a weird traffic jam: you went just 5 kph for 10 mintes, then you were able to drive 100 for 5 minutes, then 5 kph for 10 minutes again and so on. The slow bits were 6 times without any visible cause, no accident, police or roadworks.
Additionally, an hour before I arrived while I was around Cottbus there was a thunderstorm. Luckily I spotted it early enough and put the roof up, but you have to put a tissue into a little gap directly at the A-pillar to prevent rain from coming in when it rains heavily.

Other than that the little Suzuki held up well, I'm confident it'll make the trip.

The girl is Fairlady, the guy buying the beer and tanning his tongue is loose_unit.

My straight pipe shirt :D

Updates from the swiss barge:

Spent the Saturday in Munich, Germany, went with friends to the awesome Deutsches Museum, then at late afternoon I drove off again with the goal to reach Vienna, Austria. But thunderstorms with really impressive rainfalls and some heavy traffic slowed the Autobahns mostly to a crawl and I didn't really made a lot of progress. - Sometimes it felt and looked more like I was driving a boat than a car. :D

So instead of driving all the way to Vienna I gave in earlier and took a hotel room near Linz, which is in the middle between Salzburg and Vienna. - But hey, plenty of time to reach Romania. :cool:

Last edited:
And now, Sunday, blue sky and the roads are clear. - Now that's more like it. - Already left Vienna behind me. Wroom! :D

HMS Saab II status; turned back on the way to the channel tunnel as (we think) the power steering pump is making horrible noises. Not convinced it will survive so will pick up a new (second hand but with guarantee) pump tomorrow morning, then change it and get on our new train at 18:00 ish. Will arrive in Calais at 19:30ish and I guess drive non stop to .ro.

Wonderful :(